Dj's United

Using Virual Dj As A Normal Mixer.

Hey guys.

As a part time singer, i have all the equiptment to produce sound e.g powered desk, top and bassbis speakers, lighting and backdrop.

Now, i have been using my laptop with virtual DJ on it practising at home.

I recently found out that VDJ can still read CD's and as i have a portable second CD drive, instead of buying all the mixing equiptment, could i get away with using the program as a mixing desk.

In other words, has anyone else thought of this idea or is anyone currently using the dame setup.

Thanks.

Hello speedyman and welcome to the forums if it hasnt been said before.

You can use the internal mixer in virtual dj with some sucess but its controlling the mixer which is an issue. You can use the mouse, keyboard shrotcuts but i would highly recommend an outboard controller such as the numark total control, which comes with numark cue 6 (re-packaged virtual dj)

the other limitation is not being able to listen to tracks (cue'ing) on one player while the other player is playing if you use the headphone out on your laptop.

Can i just check which virtual dj you are on about btw as there are 2 software packages with very simular names. Virtual DJ & Virtual DJ Studio.

Another option is to get a dedicated multi channel external usb soundcard (numark djio)and link that to your current mixer on 2 channels. You may not benefit from cue'ing unless your mixer has that facility and you would still need to operate the basic functions on vdj by mouse.

Hope this helps and if you need any more info just ask

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Hello speedyman and welcome to the forums if it hasnt been said before.

You can use the internal mixer in virtual dj with some sucess but its controlling the mixer which is an issue. You can use the mouse, keyboard shrotcuts but i would highly recommend an outboard controller such as the numark total control, which comes with numark cue 6 (re-packaged virtual dj)

the other limitation is not being able to listen to tracks (cue'ing) on one player while the other player is playing if you use the headphone out on your laptop.

Can i just check which virtual dj you are on about btw as there are 2 software packages with very simular names. Virtual DJ & Virtual DJ Studio.

Another option is to get a dedicated multi channel external usb soundcard (numark djio)and link that to your current mixer on 2 channels. You may not benefit from cue'ing unless your mixer has that facility and you would still need to operate the basic functions on vdj by mouse.

Hope this helps and if you need any more info just ask

Dave

Hey thanks Dave on that.

I forgot to mention that i do have a second USB soundcard and VDJ picks this up and i can play one track while cue'ing the other one in so i guess i'm starting off good.

The version of VDJ is 5.2. I was just wondering that if people was using the program or different programs, they're using it as but i can see what you mean as a external controller.

I use the Hercules Rmx which is a mixer that contains a soundcard and allows you to use

vdj with cueing etc as it uses the laptop soundcard also. Simply connect to laptop by usb

and powered by it also so no extra psu needed. Output is phono. I highly recommend it

and available from thomann, musicstore etc.

I use the Hercules Rmx which is a mixer that contains a soundcard and allows you to use

vdj with cueing etc as it uses the laptop soundcard also. Simply connect to laptop by usb

and powered by it also so no extra psu needed. Output is phono. I highly recommend it

and available from thomann, musicstore etc.

One thing i have noticed is that when i run VDJ through my mixer, when i move the cross fader of the selected deck, it gets loud so i have to have one hand on the cross fader and the other one on the fader off the channel i'm using.

Would anyone know if any other program stops this from happening and allow my the mix songs without changing the volume all the time or is there anyway on VDJ that this can be stopped?

P.S. I think I'm using VDJ V5.2

One thing i have noticed is that when i run VDJ through my mixer, when i move the cross fader of the selected deck, it gets loud so i have to have one hand on the cross fader and the other one on the fader off the channel i'm using.

Would anyone know if any other program stops this from happening and allow my the mix songs without changing the volume all the time or is there anyway on VDJ that this can be stopped?

P.S. I think I'm using VDJ V5.2

This will probably be the cross fader curve. Depending on your mixer, there may be a few options- from a very sharp "curve" (suitable for scratching), to something fairly smooth - that most crossfading DJ's will need.

Are you mixing between tracks on VDJ (ie 2 channel output from PC into 2 channels of your mixer?). Check the gain/levels between each channel.

speedyman are all your mp3's the same volume?

mp3gain a free program that alters the level of tracks so they are all the same volume

you only need to process the tracks once and they are set at the new volume , this is totally reversible by the program i have found 91dB seems to be right on most systems.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

speedyman are all your mp3's the same volume?

mp3gain a free program that alters the level of tracks so they are all the same volume

you only need to process the tracks once and they are set at the new volume , this is totally reversible by the program i have found 91dB seems to be right on most systems.

Robster, is the 91 db the output, not necessarily the recording volume?????

I use Platinum Notes to clean up all my mp3 tracks and they stabilise all tracks at -13db

:pro:

yeah the reference of 91dB is the setting on mp3gain for the recording volume..... the default is 89dB (which you change to 91dB) but through trial and error i found 91dB to be a better level for me and other users this works for karaoke tracks in MP3+G format

MP3Gain does not use "peak amplitude" normalization as many "normalizers" do. Audio files with very different peak amplitudes can still sound to the human ear as though they're the same volume.

Instead, MP3Gain uses David Robinson's Replay Gain algorithm to calculate how loud the file actually sounds to a human's ears.

MP3Gain does not decode and re-encode the mp3 to change its volume. You can change the volume as many times as you want, and the mp3 will sound just as good (or just as bad!) as it did before you started.

best of all MP3 gain is FREE!!

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26