Interview With Johnny Bone
Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:17 PM
John was kind enough to step in for me and watch the forum after the loss of my brother.
He's got a great singing voice and does the best Windsor Davies impersonation I've ever heard!
1. What is your DJU Forum Alias?
2. What is your Real Name, Age, Location & Marital Status?
John Bone 46 married
3. What is the Name of your Disco /Service ?
4. How long have you been a DJ / entertainer?
Singing for over 20 years
5. What inspired you to become a DJ / entertainer?
The wife motivated me to start a singing show.
6. Are you a Full/Part Time DJ entertainer? If part time what else do you do?
Part Time. Engineer.
7. What is your favourite type of function now? (eg: Wedding, 18th Birthday party, etc)?
Any really so long as its no more than 2 or 3 hrs!
8. What’s the worst/most embarrassing thing you've done in front of an audience?
Forget the lyrics!
9. If you could go back to the beginning of your DJ / entertainer career, is there anything that you'd do differently? (eg: The gear that you bought, the way you promoted/advertised yourself?)
Learned to play an instrument.
10. What do you feel you offer the public that convinces them to book you rather than "the next guy/girl"?
Dedication and politeness!
11. Have you ever bought something for your show that you wish you hadn't, and why?
Denon HD2500. Didn't like it.
12. What's your next purchase likely to be disco equipment wise?
Probably a mixer.
13. If you could get someone to invent a new piece of disco equipment for your show, what would it be?
A multi effect light that really did everything!
14. What was the worst equipment failure suffered during a gig?
15. What do you think is the best thing about Djing / entertaining?
Don't tell the wife, but the phone numbers passed to me at the end of the night! LOL!
16. What do you think is the worst thing about Djing / entertaining?
Lazy so and so's who can't be bothered to do the basics in business and avoid paying tax.
17. What would make you stop DJing / entertaining (if anything)?
Probably the wife!
18. How do you think DJing (and DJ related) will change in the next 5 years?
Sixty quid sid will be undercut by twenty quid tony because anyone can dj now!
19. Most stupid thing anyone's ever said to you at a gig?
Is the mic plugged in?
20. Best advice you were ever given by a fellow DJ / entertainer?
Spray your mics with this
21. And worst advice you were ever given?!
Buy the Denon HD2500!
22. How do you keep up to date with music? (eg Digital Downloads, CDs, CD+Gs, DVDs, vinyl etc)
23. Name 3 songs that 95% of the time will fill the dance floor for you!
(I've Had) The Time Of My Life ( Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes )
I Want You Back (Jacksons)
Brother Louie (Modern Talking)
24. One piece of advice you'd give to someone just starting out.
Don't believe that you can avoid paying mr tax man!
25. What medium music format do you mainly use eg vinyl, CD, hard-drive, etc?
26. Have you embraced/adapted any ideas that you've read about on DJU - if so what?
The marketing area has been very helpful for ideas.
27. What is your best gig ever and your worst?
Best gig was performing in front of several hundred ppl (few years ago in Bulgaria)
Worst gig was witnessing some guy being taken out by the local mafia. Horrifying!
28. Apart from 'Word of Mouth' what is your main (most successful) form of advertising your disco / service?
Business cards. Not pushing any advertising at the moment.
29. Are you a member of a DJ Association / Union?
30. Have you ever had someone try to claim off you? (eg: Public Liability Insurance or other such legal action)
31. How many gigs do you do a year, how many would you like to do?
Because of work commitments I can only perform a few times a year (UK) but when away (BG) I sing all the time.
32. What is your average charge for a booking?
In UK £250.00
In Bulgaria around 120 Lv (£50.00ish!)
33. How many tracks do you believe you have in your music collection?
Lost a lot of music. Now have several thousand music tracks but probably less than a thousand karaoke tracks.
34. How far do you travel from your base to perform as a DJ?
If it counts, and depending on the route, around 2,000miles. (UK to BG)
35. Do you use a roadie?
36. What's the largest audience you've performed in front of / for a whole gig(eg. 200 people, 300, 400?)
Probably several hundred in BG.
37. And what is the smallest audience you've performed in front of / for a whole gig (eg. 100 people, 75, 30?)
Less than 10.
38. What is YOUR favourite music genre (eg. Motown, Pop, Dance, Rock, etc?)
Anything from the 70s and 80s.
39. And what is your least favourite music genre?!
40. What other services do you provide (if any) on top of being a DJ / entertainer (eg. Photography, chair covers service, MC, etc?)
Why Buy New - New, Ex-Demo and Graded Disco Equipment at below retail prices
CPC - Great Prices on Leads, Connectors, Consumables, Disco Equipment and Much More
Glow Brothers - Wholesale Distributors of Glow Sticks & Products
Posted 25 January 2010 - 06:38 PM
Ask Dan for details of my singing ability...... lol
Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:37 AM
Raising The Standards In Entertainment
M 0783 529 5169
Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:08 PM
Very interesting read apart from :
Brother Louie (Modern Talking)
You cannot be serious
1 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users