Dj's United

I can rememer trips out to Tuffnell Park in the eary 80's to buy and drool over the new stuff.

My forst set of New Decks were purchased from Roger Squire in 1983 (I stll Have them FAL Mono)

Oh what memories not sure about the year of the catalouge it seens to be later than 1979.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

they were situated in Blackstock Road just down from the archway roundabout in an old Town house

Edited by Raymilkybarkid

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

Hi folks, came across this the other day so I pdf'ed it and its available here for amusement!

Roger Squires 'disco shop' chain who rode the wave of the 70s/80s disco craze.

ROger Squires catalogue 1979

Great memories here.

I still have the FAL traffic light boxes, only used now for 70's nights. I bought those s/h in 1983.

Some of these consoles are still knocking about. A local DJ around here still uses his.

Disco equipment was very expensive indeed in the late 70's and 80's.

Ohhhh I remember those adverts... I always wanted one of the Jingle machines :D we used Garrard SP25 turntables and the Roger Squire setups used BSR I believe so we built our own.

And how on earth did we manage on just a couple of hundred watts....were watts louder in the 70's :D

I remember doing a weekly Gig at a holiday camp in Hemsby ( It was called Seacroft in those days). Huge hall and we only had a 200 watt amp.......not sure how the punters heard the music but it always seemed loud enough

I remember the Rank Tutor II projectors well we had a couple of those. brilliant projectors.

Ahhhh the memories........mainly nearly breaking my back carrying a huge wooden case filled with hundreds of vynil 45's.

And the old Bedford van....we thought every gig was going to be its last....but it just seemd to go on forever

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

how on earth did we manage on just a couple of hundred watts....were watts louder in the 70's :D

I remember doing a weekly Gig at a holiday camp in Hemsby ( It was called Seacroft in those days). Huge hall and we only had a 200 watt amp.......not sure how the punters heard the music but it always seemed loud enough

I wonder about this too.

In the early 1970's I did a staff party for Goldring/Lenco at Leytonstone Town Hall using a 200 watt amp and a pair of speaker cabinets each containing 1 full range driver (no tweeters!).

It was loud enough and clear enough.

Or were standards just different then?

Edited by spinner

I remember buying a pair of XL200 speakers together with a pair of Altec 400w bass bins.

The weight of the bass bins was back breaking I still had these up until 1999.

I used to buy from Squires and Luton Sound and Lighting way back. I remember Squires was taken over by Rough Diamond from Guildford,and moved to an large unit in Wembley which then closed.

Rough Diamond was owned by County Sounds Radio presenter Simon Cummings. Rough Diamond later become Guildford Sound and Lighting.

Oh dear I seem to be turning into a Geek........

Thanks for the post :Thumbup: thats brought back a few happy memories

Yeah i use to buy my old gear from " Luton Sound and Lighting " too when i first started

Good times :dukesy:

http://thatsentertainment.webeden.co.uk

Dj's and Discos for all your needs

PLI & PAT covered

Est. 1988

We still get the odd bit of stuff as featured in that cat in for repair. DJ consoles sometimes come in, I have a customer who uses an sm515, I converted the turntable channels into CD channels. Another one uses a Citronic Hawaii for his ska nights, and another an Avon for general disco use.

The Optikinetics Solar 250's which came out in 1973 are of course still popular and sold today albeit in white not silver.

The good old SM58 of course which came out in 1966 still in common use and the Pulsar Zero-3000 sound to light unit.

I'd like to try the Audac radio mic which boasts a 1/4 mile range...doubt it would meet today's license free standards!

Amazing just how much of this gear is still sold today!! :spin:

Stands and supports just don't seem to have changed at all.. maybe time for some new ideas?

We still get the odd bit of stuff as featured in that cat in for repair. DJ consoles sometimes come in, I have a customer who uses an sm515, I converted the turntable channels into CD channels. Another one uses a Citronic Hawaii for his ska nights, and another an Avon for general disco use.

The Optikinetics Solar 250's which came out in 1973 are of course still popular and sold today albeit in white not silver.

The good old SM58 of course which came out in 1966 still in common use and the Pulsar Zero-3000 sound to light unit.

I'd like to try the Audac radio mic which boasts a 1/4 mile range...doubt it would meet today's license free standards!

Ah the Citronic Avon. I used the same unit from 1984 -2002. Wonderful reliability.

I had a Pulsar Zero 2250 - which I was given off another DJ when I was, like 14 or so. It had been hard-wired to three 150w reflector lights (like the security type lights. The bass/mid/treble lighting was pretty good... although found that the mid channel folled the bass quite often though....

I'd love a controller that did that again... Bass/low-mid,mid-high, high outputs.. But its all sequenced these days... and took a line level or speaker level input!

Also can't believe how old the SM58 is....

Thorougly enjoyed looking through that catalogue. Remember the twin-turntables... and 100watts was also plenty 20 odd years ago for big halls...

Cheers,

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I'd love a controller that did that again... Bass/low-mid,mid-high, high outputs.. But its all sequenced these days

Slightly OT but the Behringer Eurolight LC2412 will do that...and although it's a full DMX and 0-10V desk, is still cheaper than a 1970's sound to light unit was! (all things being equal)!.

I still have My Fal Mono deck, Cironic Thames II decks and a whole host of other stuff from the golden era

• 10 months later...

Firstly, I notice the link to the catalog no longer works and I know this thread is almost a year old; but I could not help but post. I spent many days in Roger Squires (Birmingham) just dreaming. I had a number of different Citronic deck, but my favorite was a Cloud Series’ 9, with the “new” Disco Driver 80 turntables, I loved those decks. I sold all my UK gear when I moved to the States in 2002, but I recently purchased a Solar 250 on Ebay, just for fun. Every time I use it, I have someone admiring it. They walk straight past a $2,500 Martin Smartmac without even looking at it, Go Figure.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

I notice the link to the catalog no longer works

I originally hosted this on my own filespace and such was the traffic that it created, my ISP temporarily withdrew the service!

I will have to put it on one of the free filesharing sites when I get time.

I will have to put it on one of the free filesharing sites when I get time.

I would appreciate that, I did not have much money to spend in the late seventies, but I did do a lot of dreaming. I am sure there are many items I will remember.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

I still had this from when superstardeejay first uploaded it.

I've just re-uploaded it here:

http://www.freefilehosting.net/catalogue

I would download it asap as the site says "The files are kept forever as long as they are being downloaded." so there's every chance it'll disappear quite quickly.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

What a great piece of kit.I had one, and a mate had three. Superb.

I had a Pulsar Zero 2250 - which I was given off another DJ when I was, like 14 or so. It had been hard-wired to three 150w reflector lights (like the security type lights. The bass/mid/treble lighting was pretty good... although found that the mid channel folled the bass quite often though....

There wasn't much simpler kit available. Plug the unit into the mains, plug a speaker cable into the 2250, and you're ready to Rock and Roll. Only downside was, if you had it linked to the spotbanks, and you didn't keep the music playing, it all went very dark!!!!!!

There wasn't much simpler kit available. Plug the unit into the mains, plug a speaker cable into the 2250, and you're ready to Rock and Roll. Only downside was, if you had it linked to the spotbanks, and you didn't keep the music playing, it all went very dark!!!!!!

I mostly had it wired to my hifi unit and just 3 spot bulbs. Although had to use a small audio transformer in order to get anything out of the unit though at low volumes. Worked quite well though...

I think the unit has long since been flogged at some car boot sale years ago after I left my parents home. I knew I should've kept it somewhere... I did always find that bass + mid flashed "opposite" the treble channel a lot - however could have been more to do with my audio input rather than the unit.

Ahh memories!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]