Dj's United

:hurt: I think I know the answer to this already :aa :ads: :ads: but I'm going to ask just to double check.

Just invested in a new laptop.(last one was 7yrs old) It has 2gig ram and 160gb hard drive.

the question is ............... Load mp3's on to LAPTOP HDD or use USB HDD ?

Dumb question I know but ......... expert opinion is allways nice to have

I would use the laptop hdd if you can fit it all with space to spare, one less item to connect up every time and one less piece of equipment to breakdown.

Just my opinion

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

If you can fit it all onto the internal hdd then that's what i'd do.

No point using an external, use your external to make regular backups of your music folders.

If you have anything in your playout system that will run a usb drive then you've got your entire collection there as backup.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

Yeah use the internal laptop drive if you can.

I had 160G in this one until i ran out of space.. Laptop has a dedicated partition just for the music (about 70gig partition). Got about 8000 tracks on that from memory (320kbit mp3).

Upgraded to a 320gig (not without issues cos the old HDD had a few bad sectors on it). Mirrored the old C: drive to same size as it was before (about 75 gig), increased the D: drive to 160, and have 50 gig unpartitioned doing absolutely nothing at all - Not sure what to with it yet..

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Interesting topic.

It also depends, doesn't it on where the signal goes after the laptop.

I play from laptop to my MEP 7000 so I keep all my tracks on a separate portable hard drive.

Just thought it might be safer than keeping it on the laptop drive (which has VDJ on it) so that if the laptop goes I can still USB the drive direct into the MEP.

The separate drive is a pain and I would rather have it on the laptop too but maybe I'm being too cautious.

Teez :hide:

Even though keeping your music files on the internal HDD seems to make sense, Personally I wouldn't and don't use the internal hard drive.

I have always regarded my laptop as an essential tool for my profession and as such wouldn't want to do anything potentially detrimental to it's performance. Filling the internal hard drive with music adds a large amount of "clutter" to the main system drive and will eventually slow the computer down. Try defragging a full HDD and see how long it takes ;).

*IF* you are going to use your internal HDD, I would certainly create a partition specifically for your music.

Edited by Slimboy Fat

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

Even though keeping your music files on the internal HDD seems to make sense, Personally I wouldn't and don't use the internal hard drive.

I have always regarded my laptop as an essential tool for my profession and as such wouldn't want to do anything potentially detrimental to it's performance. Filling the internal hard drive with music adds a large amount of "clutter" to the main system drive and will eventually slow the computer down. Try defragging a full HDD and see how long it takes ;).

i know what you mean. I have had my drive partitioned with 20gig for the os (striped down xp) and the rest for music storage. Works a treat considering its nearly 2 years old with only 1 gig ram.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

External HDDs is something else to carry around though. I carry CDs with me too though for backup.

Guess it depends on your backup system.

Separate partition doesn't scatter files all over the place - also easier from a backup point of view (which it is backed up - once to a server, and another to an external HDD...

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

As ive said the laptop is brand new , came ready to go, how would i partition it with having to reinstal whats already on it ?

I use a Cortex 1000 controller and kam mp3 cd player, with one mixer.

But with my 2nd I only have a Numark CDN 22, the reason for the 2nd one is because now and then i get asked to to karaoke and the first set up only have 4 line in's , which has the cortex and the kam mp3 cd player running thru it, the 2nd has the Cdn 22, karaoke machine and laptop going thru it.

I understand that using the internal will(make it faster)and save carrying equipment but also understand that it could possibly ruin the laptop.

hope this makes sense lol

still unsure internal or external ? pros and Cons for both :damn:

The fact that you may be getting conflicting responses is probably an answer itself.

There is no definite pro/con and therefore a matter of personal taste.

There are a number of topics on here where questions have been asked and there is no clear winner.

Teez

The fact that you may be getting conflicting responses is probably an answer itself.

There is no definite pro/con and therefore a matter of personal taste.

There are a number of topics on here where questions have been asked and there is no clear winner.

Teez

You have a good point, personal choice, thinking about it..........if I had the mp3's on the internal i could get rid of the dross and keep the the ones i do use more frequently, going to take a while but prob worth it . :Thumbup:

As said it's a personal spin. I have my main playlist section on my HDD and have my external to hand for the more obscure stuff and in case of my laptop packing up due to low moral fibre :D

I keep my top songs on my internal hard drive (about 3000) and also carry my full Cd collection to gigs for the rarer stuff, don't wanna clog up my computer putting 20,000 songs on their when I would never use 95% of em. I use the Denon HD4500 so can switch easily between digital /CD and that works great for me

www.tipperarypartydj.com

another question has just popped in :aa .

laptop has a 130 gig hdd. IF I loaded 50gigs worth of mp3's which is prob more than id really put on it would it slow it down ?

sorry for all the q's but im still a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing :aa

another question has just popped in :aa .

laptop has a 130 gig hdd. IF I loaded 50gigs worth of mp3's which is prob more than id really put on it would it slow it down ?

sorry for all the q's but im still a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing :aa

Having such an mp3 collection stored on a *single partition* HDD will definitely slow the machine down. Your machine may well already be partitionned with Windows in it's own segment....If this is the case you should be ok BUT I would advise another separate partition to keep your music away from your general program files. If your HDD is not currently partitionned I would advise doing so using a program such as "Partition magic", creating a small partition for the operating system and two larger ones for your program files and music respectively. Also invest in an external drive to make a back up copy of your internal drive. 50 gigs worth of music is a lot of info to lose!

BEWARE before doing any of this as my system restore files were actually stored on my hard drive rather than on a separate disk so when my hard drive died I had no way of immediately restoring the original operating system. If this is the case then please don't forget to make a system restore disk BEFORE doing anything else.

Hope this helps. :Thumbup:

Jase

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

BEWARE before doing any of this as my system restore files were actually stored on my hard drive rather than on a separate disk so when my hard drive died I had no way of immediately restoring the original operating system. If this is the case then please don't forget to make a system restore disk BEFORE doing anything else.

I have made two restore disc's first thing i did when i opened the box :D .

I get what you mean about seperate partitions for windows , progs and mp3's makes sense.

I read on here some where some had bought a new laptop and hadnt connected it to the net to save it from accidentaly catching a virus. Is this a good idea or just being over cautious ?

As the HDD has already been partitioned for the windows operating system , would I only have to do 2 more partitions for programmes and mp3's ? What sizes would be recommended?

Thanks for all your help

Edited by flash911
  • 3 weeks later...

I maybe missing something here but you say you have a cortex 1000.

A hard drive plugs directly into the cortex with no need for the laptop, well at least mine does.

Why do you need a laptop as well or is it just for backup

ooops sorry didnt read the post properly the laptop is used with 2nd system

Edited by wizard

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops