Dj's United

I haven't been around for a while as I've really been trying to learn a trade. Although I've been dj-ing for a couple of years, but not getting loads of bookings as I've been trying to ease myself into things, I've realised well, to put it bluntly I can't mix. I can pick and play good music, and go from one track to another fine, but I don't have the ability to really do anything too clever.

How important is it as a dj to mix tracks together? I apologise if this question has been asked before. I'm just lacking a bit of confidence these days!

I am whatever you say I am

How important is it as a dj to mix tracks together?

all depends on who and where. I cant mix properly but with the aid of virtual dj am getting there. I have a go and if i cant get it i use the sync to help.

saying that as a mobile dj doing weddings birthdays i dont really have the need. It is something i want to learn as i feel like im cheating the system and have a lot of respect for those who can, but last thing i have time for is setting up my gear and having a go

no mix is better than a bad mix IMO as i have seen/heard some shockers

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I don't mix, but I tend to bring in the next track at the "right time" so it "flows" better

Most radio mixes of tracks aren't easy to mix anyway - they're different bpms, genres, etc.... Also depends on the era/style of music too...

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Mixing will depend on what you're playing.. Pick a bunch of extended club mixes at 130BPM and you'll soon be fine, and will have great fun with some basic beat matching.

Trying to mix chart releases, and you'll struggle as you won't have time to blend the tracks together.

Practicing will really help, and perhaps recording your efforts on your PC, so you can hear what it really sounds like.

Some chart songs can have their intro looped, so I sometimes use this whilst mixing, and then release the loop as I end the mix.

This does depend on the tempo being roughly the same, as the vocals often cut in shortly after releasing the loop and you don't want the song to be too slow or too fast.

If the tempo is wildly different, then a fastish crossfade will be one way to get into the next track. With this, you'll fire off the next track on the beat of the old track- cross fading (of fading the old track) at the same time.

I'm not an expert mixer, and practicing will really help you.

#Personally, if you can't mix - don't worry too much unless the client wants it. If this is somthing you want to pursue, then I think there are lots of videos on youtube that may be more helpful than trying to explain things in a forum.

I did hear of a '90's superstar DJ that used Minidiscs for all his "live" gigs.... :joe:

I did hear of a '90's superstar DJ that used Minidiscs for all his "live" gigs.... :joe:

A mate of mine booked a 'named' dj for a club recently at a mere £800 for a 2 hour set. He proceeded to sit reading some dj mag whilst ableton did all the hard work. The crowd were non the wiser but the staff were fuming.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I do mix - I worked in Ibiza during the 90s and learned a lot of how to do it there.

In saying that tho - a lot of gigs I don't need to and will only do the occassional mix. For example, if doing a motown set, usually people know the song perfectly, so if you are speeding it up or slowing it down, even with pitch lock, people notice.

Altho the last function I did have a two hour old school 90s dance set, which was great fun to re-live.

Simple answer - if you really cant mix then don't, but practice does make perfect and unless you are doing constant 18ths/21sts etc then you don't really need to.

I can mix a bit but most of the time i don't for the functions i do it is NOT appropriate if i was hired as a mix dj fair enough but 90 percent its Karaoke and the tracks in between are mostly fillers before the next singer. or its normal function where fading one track into the next and music selection is more important than the mix.

I have heard many a good mix DJ let down by music selection and lack of reading a crowd.

Mixing is but one of the skills needed for a DJ not the be-all and end-all in my honest opinion.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I have about 40 tracks that I am pretty good at mixing together, saying that they all have a decent bass line good intro and decent ending which helps, the bpm varies by about 5bpm but still mixable.

having a good mixer helps as well.

I have started working with a friend who has been djing for about 10 yrs, he just likes fading iin the new track b4 the old one finishes, doesnt always sound to clever but when asked why he does it hei reply was" so the people on the dance floor knows whats commiong next, it gives them the chance to stay dancing or walk away" :shrug:

i cant mix - never been a problem.

I agree with earlier comments

read the crowds

know how the next song starts (do you need to be 10s in)

know how the current song finishes.

Jobs a good'un

I forgot to mention, a lot will depend on the gear you're using. Good CD player with easy looping, with decent pitch lock will be much easier than a cheap CD player with limited control.

If you're on a PC, the most PC DJ software (PC DJ, VDJ etc) will do most of the hard work for you).

I think its worth DJ's having an awareness of mixing. Basic beat matching is fairly easy on club songs, and practicing at home in conjunction with YouTube Videos will really help get it down.

Working on a few 4/4 beat songs (most songs use this) on similar tempo will help - record your efforts and play back to spot where things went wrong.

We should all have a sense of timing and an awareness of basic song construction;

1, 2, 3, 4

lol!

I don't think there is a need for most of us to be mixing all the time - these skills won't be much good at Great Aunt Bessies 60th, or during a cheese fest at a family 40th! These parties require other skills!

But, if the client wants a few club style tracks, think how good it would be to mix them...

If we're marketing into the club style gigs, then this becomes more important.... just the same as offering MC wedding services but having no mic skils.

If the OP is having trouble mixing - then are you also having trouble smoothly changing songs in general?

Let us know the kit you're using (Mixer+CD/MP3 system).

Most of this is practice and a few pointers.

Thank you for all your advice I really appreciate it. I think it's just something that I'd love to be able to master so if I needed to do it, I could.

I have the Numark CDN 22Mk3 Twin CD Player and Numark DM1090 Mixer. How good is that equipment for mixing? There again I can't blame the gear, I think it's more a case of me not having the skill. I'm fine with fade outs and bringing the new track in at the right moment (mostly) but I just think sometimes it sounds a bit tired.

But I agree I think what is more important is reading the crowd, and I think I'm still working on that too!

I am whatever you say I am

Thank you for all your advice I really appreciate it. I think it's just something that I'd love to be able to master so if I needed to do it, I could.

I have the Numark CDN 22Mk3 Twin CD Player and Numark DM1090 Mixer. How good is that equipment for mixing? There again I can't blame the gear, I think it's more a case of me not having the skill. I'm fine with fade outs and bringing the new track in at the right moment (mostly) but I just think sometimes it sounds a bit tired.

But I agree I think what is more important is reading the crowd, and I think I'm still working on that too!

The CDN looks pretty basic - no pitch lock, looping or BPM counter, but these features don't exist for the Vinyl boys.

I'd say time spent getting to one track to the next as smoothly as possible, and learning the music is important at this stage. Spending a few hours (ie, a block of time) on this will really help. If you can record the set, listen to it to see what worked, and what didn't.

Mixing on your kit is possible - just more "hands on" (hehe!). Pick 2 club tracks with identical (or very close) BPM and use that to get a feel for mixing between them.

With practice, you'll be able to mix a few tracks, and this will really help you get confidence for doing it live.

Essentially, mixing requires an ear for Rhythm, if you can tap out a beat with your finger, you're not too far off.

The other posts are right though, there are more important things to consider before mixing; the right music for the party is prime.

No point in perfectly mixing in a house track because you find it easy IF the crowd really want "Love Shack" etc.

Vokf, thanks for all your advice. Doesn't sound like I have the best gear for mixing but I definitely will have a go and thanks for the tips. :Thumbup:

I mix a lot using loop and sample no matter what function but i learned years ago on a "Citronic Thames II" with vary speed turtables, reading the crowd along the way. BUT and its a rather large but!!!! its not as important as timing to what you play.....when to play it.

I know some amazing jocks who chop and talk-in the next track seemlessly.

.......I cant do karaoke but i dont lose any sleep over that arf arf !!!!