Dj's United

I realise there is a sticky about deck stands but I can't say it really answered all my questions.

I'm looking at buying my first deck stand with overhead goal post and i'm lost in options.

I've been browsing online and seen the various Kam, Rhino, Giraffe and Ultimax stands and they all look very similar indeed except of course in price. Is there a big difference between them in build quality etc?

I'll probably usually be running 2 barrel scans, 2 moonflowers and maybe a revo4/laser depending on the gig so i'm thinking I need the overhead to be at least a dual bar or trusslite?

I run a passive PA and will have 2 amps on the lower shelf so that should add to stability.

I've heard Ultimax is the best but i've seen a Rhino Stan12A (4ft stand with dual bar) at just over a hundred quid that seems to tick all the boxes and is about half price of the equivalent Ultimax. Is it half as good?

Thanks guys

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I realise there is a sticky about deck stands but I can't say it really answered all my questions.

I'm looking at buying my first deck stand with overhead goal post and i'm lost in options.

I've been browsing online and seen the various Kam, Rhino, Giraffe and Ultimax stands and they all look very similar indeed except of course in price. Is there a big difference between them in build quality etc?

I'll probably usually be running 2 barrel scans, 2 moonflowers and maybe a revo4/laser depending on the gig so i'm thinking I need the overhead to be at least a dual bar or trusslite?

I run a passive PA and will have 2 amps on the lower shelf so that should add to stability.

I've heard Ultimax is the best but i've seen a Rhino Stan12A (4ft stand with dual bar) at just over a hundred quid that seems to tick all the boxes and is about half price of the equivalent Ultimax. Is it half as good?

Thanks guys

hi, I have a prolight 4ft deck stand with star cloth, i was suprised at how much lights it takes, the most i have had on it is 2 moving heads, 4 acme falcons, 2 impossibleds, 1 laser and 2 par cans, and i could have still got a couple small lights added at the end, they dont come standard with shelfs, just use mdf pannels and bolt them throught the rails, i have also placed amps on bottom shelf personally feel this balances the weight a bit, build quailty is good for the price

hi, I have a prolight 4ft deck stand with star cloth, i was suprised at how much lights it takes, the most i have had on it is 2 moving heads, 4 acme falcons, 2 impossibleds, 1 laser and 2 par cans, and i could have still got a couple small lights added at the end, they dont come standard with shelfs, just use mdf pannels and bolt them throught the rails, i have also placed amps on bottom shelf personally feel this balances the weight a bit, build quailty is good for the price

What is the total weight of your lights?

Max load T Bar: 40kgs

2 x impossibleds = 10Kg

2 x acme falcon = 18Kg

Leaving 20Kg for 2 x moving heads, laser and 2 x par cans..

You're overloading it, just because there is spare - you shouldn't always use it.

I don't use the overhead on my 4' stand anymore. Even when I had an amp on the bottom shelf, it never felt that stable when loaded with even a few lights.

Now use a winch t-bar for heavier lights (3 double scanners) and standard t-bars for lightweight LED lights.

I imagine that if I bought a stand with a dual bar it would handle the weight ok though?

Check the specs of the stand against the weight of your gear. The loading limit on the stand will normally be evenly distributed.

You'll also need to check your safety wires are good for the loading - some are 10Kg, and may not be enough for moving heads and larger fixtures.

Thanks for that vokf.

Just placed an order for the rhino/prolight 4ft stand with dual goalpost and thought i'd order the bag to carry it all in while I was at it.

Stand £87+vat, bag £26+vat = £133

Now lets see if it sways like an MFI wardrobe and falls to bits in 6 months :lol:

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk