Dj's United

Dj U /@ Members Own Banner Links

As many members may have read i have been bodging a website together in my own cack handed way :D

I now have a links page (which links to here now , thanks for the patience mods)

if any members have there own banners i am happy to post them on my links page

also is there a banner for the which mobile disco? directory ..i know how to do a simple link but i think banners tend to look better.

Thanks

Rob

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

A good offer Rob! This is something I'd also be interested in doing.

I'd probably not want to link to local "competitors", even if I'm more than happy to pass on gigs I'm not able to cover - just in case someone does read the links page and find a nice resource of local DJ's!

I'm still reading up on SEO between other things. There used to be emphasis placed in the link text, but a few SEO blogs are now indicating this is no longer as effective.

Bear in mind that most humans won't look at a links page - its normally for search engines to index.

From my reading I'd advise some actual content on the links page, perhaps not just a link, but a short paragraph for each link.

This will help the page, due to some original content, but also the sites you're linking to. If you consider most links page, are basically a list of links - outbound URL's, with no unique text on the page (apart from side menu/copyright message etc)

Hmm, hot topic here methinks.

How many shops do you know have in their front window the names, addresses and phone numbers of other shops selling the same product???

"Thanks for calling Mrs Jones, here's my quote for your party and a list of all the other DJ's in my area, give them a try too!!"

The links page is great to give customers useful links to associated, non competitive websites (in the DJ's case maybe wedding photographers, itunes, pubs that have your residency etc) as it helps you sell your product by showing them your knowledge of the industry.

In the case of DJU there is no issue as it doesnt showcase other DJ's, but all the other free DJ directories say they will advertise you for free as long as you post a link to their list of all the other DJ's.

If you're based in a densely populated area where there are lots of DJ's then I think it would be crazy to publish these links. What else would a customer click on that link for, other than finding another DJ and trying to get a cheaper quote??

I'm sure webdesigners would agree that once a potential client is on your site, you want to keep him there, not forward him on !!!

I myself have some free links and I've been procrastinating as to whether or not to delete them. For now, I want the meta tags from those sites to spread my name around a while more as I don't have a lot of online competition in my 'rural' area.

Rest assured, as soon as I can, I will be deleting all links to free DJ lists.

IMHO

:joe:

"Thanks for calling Mrs Jones, here's my quote for your party and a list of all the other DJ's in my area, give them a try too!!"

I guess you didnt' read my reply then? :D

Linking to local "competitors" isn't a good idea. Passing work on from an enquiry you can't do is good kudos, but it would be silly to link to others that cover your area.

However, I doubt I'll be travelling to Manchester to compete with Rob, and he'll probably not come down here.

No problem in linking to him, not competition, and the possibility of increased SEO if this is done right.

I guess you didnt' read my reply then? :D

Linking to local "competitors" isn't a good idea. Passing work on from an enquiry you can't do is good kudos, but it would be silly to link to others that cover your area.

However, I doubt I'll be travelling to Manchester to compete with Rob, and he'll probably not come down here.

No problem in linking to him, not competition, and the possibility of increased SEO if this is done right.

My post wasn't addressing your reply.

It was a rhetorical on the general use of free links to DJ lists, prompted by Robsters kind offer of linking to other DJ's.

We're all agreeing here, I'm merely highlighting the potential downside of free links, especially to websites that advertise DJ's for free.

Hope that's clarified.

:D

Agreed DJ's not right in my area but surrounding ie Bolton , High Peak etc are perfectly fine. and areas out of my local area are perfectly acceptable to me.

As for the web directories i edited the link back of one banner so it went indeed to the directory in question but to my own listing ..dont know if this is allowed probably depends on the directory hosts rules but at least they see my listing before anyone else's! (on the one i edited there was no stipulation about linking back at all.)

All this is for is to increase hits and improve search engine optimisation (or SEO i had to google that jason lol) and to pass on work to reputable dj's not in my exact area.

if anyone has a banner pm me with the code

cheers Rob

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

I'm sure webdesigners would agree that once a potential client is on your site, you want to keep him there, not forward him on !!!

Agreed. However getting your site those visitors and a good search engine ranking in itself is the holy grail. Indeed if you look at some of the highest rankings for the term 'mobile disco' you'll see that most of the top spots are occupied by directories.

Sadly Google places a lot of weight on return links, especially from competition sites which are of the same theme and interest. I undestand the competion aspect, but those aren't my rules, they are googles' I'm merely stating a fact that you can read on any SEO related forum. However at least Google do practice what they preach and also link to their MSN / Yahoo / Ask Jeeves search engine competitors, so I guess its not asking others to do what it doesn't do itself.

Interestingly link exchanging is actually how the entire internet works, so one day if one hop decided that it really didn't want to link to another one in case it found some competition, then you may find it impossible to leave Google :ads:

True, exchanging links isn't everything but they are small but important part of the SEO penknife. If you choose to leave them out then it probably means that the your webmaster is going to have to work in a lot of other quarters in order to make up the deficit, how effective those other methods are in marketing your website, is of course between you and your webstats :D .

Quite frankly, I can understand why some free link sites have such a bad press, if I owned a directory then I would be ashamed to even list some of these DJ sites which seem to be thrown together during a commercial break from Coronation Street, contain mobile numbers and hotmail addresses and don't meet the UK legal requirements of containing a business address. I really wouldn't be wasting my bandwidth on promoting them and would probably be off to find another industry to link to....one which had some pride and gave a damn.

Have you also seen the 'quality' of some of the descriptions on these free listings written by these purlitzer prize winning authors?. 2000 or 3000 characters available to utilise in order to sell your service and some Dj's choose to write a few words of meaningless crap like.....

I am a DJ and I play tunes

Absolutely stunning... :wall:

Yes, some of free directory sites are full of drivel, but the DJ's themselves can take most of the credit for making them that way.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

Agreed. However getting your site those visitors and a good search engine ranking in itself is the holy grail. Indeed if you look at some of the highest rankings for the term 'mobile disco' you'll see that most of the top spots are occupied by directories.

Sadly Google places a lot of weight on return links, especially from competition sites which are of the same theme and interest. I undestand the competion aspect, but those aren't my rules, they are googles' I'm merely stating a fact that you can read on any SEO related forum. However at least Google do practice what they preach and also link to their MSN / Yahoo / Ask Jeeves search engine competitors, so I guess its not asking others to do what it doesn't do itself.

Interestingly link exchanging is actually how the entire internet works, so one day if one hop decided that it really didn't want to link to another one in case it found some competition, then you may find it impossible to leave Google :ads:

True, exchanging links isn't everything but they are small but important part of the SEO penknife. If you choose to leave them out then it probably means that the your webmaster is going to have to work in a lot of other quarters in order to make up the deficit, how effective those other methods are in marketing your website, is of course between you and your webstats :D .

Quite frankly, I can understand why some free link sites have such a bad press, if I owned a directory then I would be ashamed to even list some of these DJ sites which seem to be thrown together during a commercial break from Coronation Street, contain mobile numbers and hotmail addresses and don't meet the UK legal requirements of containing a business address. I really wouldn't be wasting my bandwidth on promoting them and would probably be off to find another industry to link to....one which had some pride and gave a damn.

Have you also seen the 'quality' of some of the descriptions on these free listings written by these purlitzer prize winning authors?. 2000 or 3000 characters available to utilise in order to sell your service and some Dj's choose to write a few words of meaningless crap like.....

I am a DJ and I play tunes

Absolutely stunning... :wall:

Yes, some of free directory sites are full of drivel, but the DJ's themselves can take most of the credit for making them that way.

what is your web site address ? i would like to see this so i can learn , in terms of content and links

any help you can pass my way from your obvious vast knowledge of the subject would be of great benefit to not just me all members here

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

what is your web site address ? i would like to see this so i can learn , in terms of content and links

Yes, i'm sure you'd love that.

Let me give you some links that some courses where you can learn the basics about all aspects of business

http://www.learndirect.co.uk/businessinfo/...?CMP=bus_cou_sm

http://www.cim.co.uk/home.aspx

http://www.cim.co.uk/events/home.aspx

any help you can pass my way from your obvious vast knowledge of the subject would be of great benefit to not just me all members here

Always happy to help

Edited by McCardle

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

sorry if i offended ,it was a honest simple question .

what is your web site address ?

But if you don't wish to divulge the details fair enough.

mine is on my signature link . i am open to sharing what limited knowledge i have learned with this community.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421

Offended? me? not at all. Your original post was more of a command rather than a request though and I don't hoop jump for anybody :D

There are many many forums like this one, discussing website optimisation and building websites, often run and frequented by people who make a very good living from what they do (probably more than we do) and are far better placed than I am to advise on website building. I'm sure that most of what i've said above will be echoed on their forums, and my advice above is the product of being around these forums for roughly as long as i've been a member here. I never professed to be taking the credit for it.

The best thing about those dedicated forums, is that you get the advice of several other website builders and professional designers, which is better than one persons advice on a DJ forum.

In relation to my comments regarding poor site content and lack of DJ's ability in promoting themselves I actually recall Dukesy posting something very similar a few months ago in relation to his free directory site

Edit:- I found the site he refered to, The forum rules prevent me from listing any particular business from his directory as an example, but take a look at some of the listing content on the Mobile Disco section:-

http://www.whichmobiledisco.com/category/mobiledisco/

These are real life examples of DJ's in the art of promoting themselves, check out the description fields and the amount of content and the effort taken to proudly describe their business and sell their services to a potential client, then tell me that my original comments were wrong :joe:. I can see with content like that, why they wouldn't work.

Dj's on forums always talk about being better than the next guy and being able to sell themselves above their competition but in practice i've yet to see anything in writing, LOL. Yes, a few people have taken the trouble, but for most, two or three lines is the best they can come up with, and even then its cut and pasted from their other listings.

Edited by McCardle

Sorry if it sounded like a command that was not my intention at all.

My grasp of the English language is not up to your very high standard and i am guessing that is also why mine and others content on web sites is not up to the eloquent and descriptive nature of others.

I have a Mate Brian who works four nights a week in a residency , he is a damn good DJ in terms of his performance skills , he wouldn't be able to put together anything more than a Basic listing of his name and number. I would and have hired him for my family functions.

This post has gone way off topic

It started as a post enquiring about members banners to link and ended up with inferring me commanding people (which was never my intention)and business links off the topic on posting banners and a common unrelated issue of member content on directories.

But as harry hill says there is only one way to find out

and the winner is??

seems Mc Cardle is right :D

I wont carry on this topic now but if anyone wants me to post there banner or link please PM me.

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421