Dj's United

Speaker And Amps

I have just got a disco set up which i have not used yet due to using the pub that i dj ats equipment but i wana go mobile.i have brought a decent set-up. including

numark cdn 88 cd decks which i love for mobile usage, mixer, 4' stand with light rig, lights, mic, speakers and amp.

but im unsure whether the speakers and amp are powerful enough for my needs. i dont want to lug around speakers and bins and so opted for 2 speakers on stands.

my speakers are as follows

2 x skytec Int-ID.: DO-XEN-TM15 / Sky-170315

Woofer 15" - 38cm

Inputs SpeakOn/PA plug

RMS Output 450W

Power Output (max) 700W

Impedance 8 Ohms

Sensitivity 103dB

Frequency range (+/- 3dB) 35Hz - 20kHz

and my amp is as follows

skytec pa-600 2 x 300 W RMS at 4 Ohms (equivalent 2 x 600 W Max at 4 Ohm or 2 x 300 W Max at 8 Ohm)

Inputs: 6.3 mm Jack and RCA

Outputs: SpeakOn PA adaptor cable or normal speaker cables (screw terminals)

Separate volume controls for left and right channels

Rear located high performance fan

Front controls

Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Input impedance: >10 kOhm

Input level: >0 dB

Distortion factor: <0.1%

Noise: >98 dB

Channel isolation: >82 dB

Power level LED display

Im unsure if these together are suitable i no you have to take into account how many guests etc are going to be there but i doubt id ever have more then 300 guests to entertain

if the amp is not suitable could anyone recomend and amp concidering im on a low budget

I would say that if those specs are true (and you can only take the RMS values, the others are meaningless) then it seems your amplifier is way too small for the speakers.

The amp you say is 2 x 300W at 4ohms which will be about 2 x 165W at 8 ohms.

Your speakers are 450W at 8 ohms so you're driving a 450W speaker with a 165W amplifier.

Forget the 'MAX' wattage figure, this is a misleading value thats meant to imply the amp is more powerful than it actually is, and is a rating normally reserved for PC speakers and Argos Ghetto-blasters.

Edited by superstardeejay

Agree with superstardeejay that your amp may be a little on the small side. The speakers (8 ohm) are 300W RMS (no other figure matters). When you hook these up to your amp it becomes a 4 ohm load, so you are putting 300 watts per channel into 300W speakers (I'm no techie but I think that is how it works). I always prefer to have a little headroom, if you are on a tight budget the T.AMP 800 from thomann.de is a decent budget amp that will drive 440W per channel into your speakers at 4 ohm's. Your sytem will work ok as it is but you may not be getting the most out of your speakers.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_tamp_e800.htm

That system still seems very small to me for crowds of 300 +, some of the other guys on here are real experts while I'm a mere weekender :shrug: so maybe wait for some more replies but thats my take.

EDIT: Woops just re-read your post your speakers are 450W RMS so yes your amp is certainly too small IMO. The T.AMP TA1050 may be a better bet, 525W into each channel. This should be sufficient for most medium sized rooms. I have no experience of skytec speakers but volume wise it should be ok.

Edited by DJMickeyk

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Think you've also got your sums wrong as well mickey, if an amp delivers 300W per channel into 4 ohms then it will (technically) only deliver half that (150W) into 8 ohm speakers. In practice it's a little more due to PSU regulation and losses.

The OP says he has 2 speakers, but thats one per channel.

Edited by superstardeejay

Like I said I'm no techie, I use active speakers for this very reason :wall:

I always thought that when you link two 8 ohm speakers to an amp that is a 4 ohm load, then his amp supplies 2 x 300 @ 4 ohms as stated. I always wanted to know how to match speakers and amps but the info out there is so varied and often conflicting, this question is best left to the experts, and I certainly ain't one :(

You have me confused now could someone clarify this ?

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I always thought that when you link two 8 ohm speakers to an amp that is a 4 ohm load

Yes, it is, but only if you connect those two 8-ohm speakers to one channel. If you put one speaker on one channel and one on the other, that is still 8 ohms.....8 ohms per channel. It is not 4 ohms unless you physically connect the two 8 ohm speakers together.

A stereo power amp (as we all use) is essentially 2 amps in one. Manufacturers usually quote the ratings based on a 4-ohm load rather than 8 because it is a larger figure and looks good on paper.