Dj's United

Interested to note the various comments praising Mixmeister, pcdj red etc. on this forum.

I use BPM Pro and have been using this since Oct 2001. For the 12 months I was using it with windows 98se without any problems, in nov last year I 'upgraded' to xp pro and have since had numerous crashes. I always have a portable mp3 player as back-up with me so it hasn't caused any real problems. When it does crash it never does during a track. It just won't cue the next track so you know nothing will happen at the end of the current track playing, giving you time to line up a track on the back-up and then reboot the main system. The audience never know any difference.

Has anyone actually used some of the main programs while working and so able to objectively compare them? I'm not interested in people simply praising a program cos it's been great but more interested in anyone with experience of more than one of pcdj, bpm pro, mixmeister etc?

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

Click here to LIKE The Funky Penguin on Facebook.

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

1) Some other software - like Nero uses ASPI32 files that 'take over' your system. Look into that....

2) Some XP conflicts are commen - especially on upgrading a former system.

3) PC world - (I hate them) could help, but you might need to check with the software supplier of BPM pro.

4) Did you change your hard drive from FAT32 to NTFS? This has caused XP to 'sod about'!

5) Sometimes, switching off other background programs on the task bar can help.

Any luck?

The system that I use for gigs has no other software on it apart from BPM Pro.

Offhand I can't remember whether it's FAT32 or NTFS. I haven't got a gig tonight or tomorrow so I'll check when using it on Friday night.

BPM Pro is made by a German company called Alcatech. I've been meaning to send an email to their support team but haven't got around to it yet. I think I'll do that right now...

Anthony Winyard Entertainment www.awe-dj.co.uk, Entertaining London & the South-East!

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

I tried PCDJ red but I couldn't grasp the system of autodj that well, it never seemed to work properly after setting a mix style it just completely went **** up.

As with BPM studio, pretty much the same thing - having said that, I much preferred bpm studio to pcdj red.

I settled with OtsDJ, I don't currently need all the extra features that bpm and pcdj offer, OtsDJ is a bit sparse with the feature list and now it has mp3 support too.

Hi Ian,

Can't say I've ever heard of OtsDJ previously. What extra features does it not include, or rather what extra features DOES it include?

Do you know the url for the website to check it out?

Tone

www.facebook.com/awe.dj

The URL is http://www.otsdj.com

Some of it's cool features...

Powerful automated mixing (not beat-matching)

Built in dynamics processing (the best around)

Automatic mix point detection

Media Library for categorising tracks

Low-latency audio pipeline

Pitch/Temp adjust

Can play CD's from your cd-rom drive - 2 tracks from the same cd AT THE SAME TIME, one forwards, one backwards if you like. You can also adjust pitch/tempo of tracks played from CD

Lean and mean program - no bloatware here!

Takes advantage of Surround Audio cards like the Soundblaster Live!/Audigy/M-Audio, etc. to provide a cue channel on the rear outputs, or even a cue channel on a separate card

Interfaces with Winamp visualisations so you can pump fancy graphics out through your dual head video card

Minimum spec is a P2-266 with 32mb ram

Built in scratching so you can scratch like the pro's - oh you can scratch tracks played from cd-rom as well!

Uses it's own proprietory music format (.ots) which are better than MP3's but hey it can play MP3 and WAV too

Live protection to stop you quitting the program by accident

The list goes on and on and on...

There are some disadvantages however...

Slighty quirky interface - needs working on

No beat-matching feature...yet, it is promised

Can't output the 2 decks to 2 different cards, only one main output, but it's auto mixing feature is second to none, so you don't even need it anyway

No 3'rd deck for quick fire of jingles, inserts, etc.

I've been using it now for almost 3 years, i've tried all of the others and this is still the best. Download the demo!

As with everything in the world its all down to personal preference, I went through a period of using various programs on a trial basis, and still say that for the last 3yrs I've been using Mixmeister. however the laptop is running Win ME and I have no other programs on it, keep it just for gigging, all my editing and that is done on the desktop prior to transfer!!

My advice would be to stay away from winXP, ME or 2000 and stay on 98se as it is far more stable for audio use, or get a mac with an oldish os.

Also you will find most DJ mixing programs have poor support for other audio file types, many cant handle mp3pro let alown ogg.

Ner ner ner ner... ner ner, ner can't touch this.

My biggest influence was Vera Lynn and I enjoy winding down with my cat - tabetha whilst listening to bing crosby playing on the gramophone.

... You wish ....

<br>Buy and sell advertising www.adsbay.co.uk </center>

Guest ian

ME is the Devils curse when it comes to an OS. XP and Win2000 are fine if you configure them properly for audio use.

It is true that 'out of the box' Win98SE is good for audio use, but so are XP and 2000 if you optimise your system for pure audio use, don't install Bonzi Buddy and all that other crap on it http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/smile.gif

don't install Bonzi Buddy

Oh yes the common purple Pest which leaps out at you from evey website!

http://membres.lycos.fr/congsound/0b75d2c0.jpg

I wouldn't recommend using Bonzi Buddy on ANY pc, let alone one that you use for Audio. Bonzi Buddy is just adware, monitoring your usage of the 'net and reporting it back to the large marketing companies so they can target you.

"Hotbar" from MSN is also guilty of similar crimes http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/mad.gif