Dj's United

New Retro Light To Add To The Collection

Just got this little (OK Big) light just uploaded a vid

Enjoy.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Hey! I worked on one of these (or one very similar!) when I refurbished a club in the 90's...

Looks good! I know these are fairly heavy with 3 motors!

Nice one Ray!

Collected it today from Norwich got it home checked out the electrics prior to plugging it in all ok except a loose wire on the supply.

Very similar to the Clay Paky astrodisco (I have got 2)

I need a bit more space me thinks

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

Wonderful light. Is it going into your collection or are u intending to let it loose on the public? :funjokeandlaugh:

Watch this space.........

Love it!

Does it just have the one bulb in the centre or is it made up of several bulbs? I always was intrigued how they got power to the middle bit with all that spinning around, etc. :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Love it!

Does it just have the one bulb in the centre or is it made up of several bulbs? I always was intrigued how they got power to the middle bit with all that spinning around, etc. :)

Cheers,

David

It has a single 150 watt bulb.

Power is fed via brass contacts with carbon brushes.

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

Love it :Thumbup:

Is there anything like this made today with LED's i wonder?

I saw a prototype a few moths ago but it was even bigger than the original because the LEDs aren't bright enough so it has huge magnifying lenses on it.

Love it!

If it's not hanging from the ceiling though, where are you going to fit the dancers??????

Unless they're UFO fans and small of course!!

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k94/fishyfinger/giftube/56.gif

:joe:

• 4 weeks later...

Nice light,

I think you're going to need a bigger van/trailor...

Nice light,

I think you're going to need a bigger van/trailor...

Need a 40 foot artic trailer LOL

Im not sure if its the lights that I like or the memories of clubs that used these lights...they are certainly brighter and visually more stunning IMHO than alot of this modern chinese rag-bag tit-tat LED DMX RGB CMYK XLR rubbish they ship over today.

The superclubs of the 80's and early 90's were bigger, busier swankier places than the postage-stamp dancefloors of Edwards' Bars and uber-chic shots-bars that we have today, and I suppose they needed similarly large effects to fill them! Imagine a Miracled in The Ritzy Sheffield? Or a Dynarock on the ceiling of Mr Smith's Warrington?

OK so I'm listing Hitman and Her venues now but you get the idea...

modern chinese rag-bag tit-tat LED DMX RGB CMYK XLR rubbish they ship over today.

:funjokeandlaugh:

Some clubs aren't too bad, but the one's I've been in are moving head washes/spots, a few strobes and a couple of lazers...

Certainly not like the ole pinspot type lights of old, and all the related Neon tubing about some of the big clubs at the time...

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

The days of the Super Club seem to have passed.

This was what got me into restoring these classic lights, for me they are far better than the new mass maufactured cheap lights of today.

Working in the clubs in the 80's along side the Light Jockey was a great combination.

I frequented a club recently and wondered what happened to the Light Jockeys? when did the DJ take over or was it the machine?