Dj's United

6th Birthday Party- A Bit Of Advice Please

Hi guys (and girls), this Saturday I am doing a 6th birthday party, for a couple of hours. Although I have done these parties in the past, the last one I did was over 10 years ago (when my kids were small). Apart from obvious ones, like the hokey-cokey, is there any must-have songs for that age group? Although I have the High School Musical CD , i'm afraid I have never played it and don't know which the most popular songs on it are.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jerry

I think you do need to get up to date.

Why would the hokey cokey be an obvious choice????

None of the 5/6 year old kids I know have ever heard of it... thank God.

The Chipmunks the Squeakquel CD would be a good start.

:joe:

spongebob theme tune is a good one after that the usual soft chart stuff willbe good (sugababes, girls aloud)

tricky age im afraid. I did a load last year (half of a village primary school).

apart from the music you need to do some games. I would get the client t organise them and you just deliver using your charm and personality. if you need some game ideas i'll gladly post some as i had a 2 hour party pretty much nailed

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

You'll be surprised at what 6 year olds know chartwise!

Black Eyed Peas / Alexandra Burke / JLS / Lady Ga Ga / Sugababes / S-Club 7 / etc.

For HSM - We're all in this together is quite well known (and I get asked for the most i think off the top of my head).

Also, have a look at the Pop Party series for inspiration!

Cheers,

David

spongebob theme tune is a good one after that the usual soft chart stuff willbe good (sugababes, girls aloud)

tricky age im afraid. I did a load last year (half of a village primary school).

apart from the music you need to do some games. I would get the client t organise them and you just deliver using your charm and personality. if you need some game ideas i'll gladly post some as i had a 2 hour party pretty much nailed

And its also quite surprising how quickly a 2 hour party can go sometimes, especially by the time you get them organised for pass the parcel / etc... oh and the food half-way through.

If you think thats hard, try 3-4 year olds! (Reception class and pre-schoolers)... although they'll probably dance to anything....!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

To run the games I use a minidisc player to control by remote control. I find this fantastic for more traditional games like musical bumps and statues. I also recommend a headset microphone as well as a handheld one.

I ask the parents to provide two pass the parcels and 3 spot prizes. In the rest of the activities I give out medals.

Now the party itself. I use the same music to the same games all the time!

For background music I use the current chart music.

Activity 1

Introductions. Make a big event over it. I play Robbie - Let Me Entertain You. I then get the kids to scream are you ready for some fun... I said are you ready for some... "I might as well go home, I said are you ready to go" Cue louder screams! I then get all the kids to say their name into the mic, loudest person wins a medal. To a random girl I say, "believe it or not I've never being called Danielle!". Then I ask for everyone to say their age into the mic. To a random age, I say "I was four when I was your age to". I then go on to say I'm from Sunderland and have a bit of banter about who supports Newcastle etc... Great fun. Loudest child overall wins a medal!

Activity 2

Since then are all sat down on the floor I play a simple game of Pass the Parcel to Pink - Let's Get The party Started. Parent supplys the present.

Activity 3

I get them jumping up and down to get motivated. Do this to Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger.

Activity 4

Dancing competition time. Get four judges to take four chairs (already setup) and play X Factor them tune. Introduce them as Dani, Sharron [Had your hair done recently?!], Pete and Simon. Get all the kids to boo Simon loud as they can , as he is ugly, bald, recedding hair line. By the way do you put sun tan lotion on your head?. I do the competition to Cha Cha Slide. Note: I place a business card on each of the judges chairs (a prize for taking part!) Winning child recieves a medal.

Activity 5

Next I do the Hopscotch to a looped version of One Step Beyond. Tell them a story on how I went out last night on the dirty beer, can everyone shout dirty beer after 3!, and that I messed them up so could them help me put them back together! I take the numbers out to if they are 6+. More of a challenge. Winning team all win medals.

Activity 6

Contiuing on One Step Beyond, I then do Musical Statues. A prize will be provided the parent for this game.

Activity 7

I get them all lined up with the birthday child in front and get them marching... "Get those kness right up!" This is to Amirllio. Best marcher wins a medal! This goes straight into...

Activity 8

The animal conga... we do impersonations of every child's favourite animal! You've got to be able to think very quickly on the spot!

Activity 9

Work for our food. I explain that Aunty X and Uncle Y have bought food for us all to eat. But they say we've got to work for our food! Dance is Fast Food Rockers, Fast Food Song.

Break for food, on average 20 mins, get iced water! Refresh!

Activity 10

Go round the room with the children looking for a responsilbe adult to help with the birthday cake. Since we can't find one, Aunty X has to do it... Sing happy birthday. Stop it after first line, one adult isn't singing and give them a mic to sing into!

Activity 11

Sing-a-long to Spongebob! I have a custom t shirt with all the characters on so I get all the kids to shout the name of the characters as I point to them... leaving Gary the snail till last!

Activity 12

Swinging western style to Cotton Eye Joe. Before I start I pair up all the kids! Straight into...

Activity 13

Steps 5678 dance workshop... "Contuining on the western theme!"

Activity 14

Musical bumps to Blue f/... - Get Down On It. Also ask the parents if they know what advert its off they will a prize (a business card!). Prize provided by parents.

Activity 15

Next we do an elephant impersation to The Toy Dolls, Nellie The Elephant. Great fun... The idea is when the music is really slow we all creep round like nice slow elephants but when the music goes really fast we all run around like fast elephants. The fastest elephant wins a medal.

Activity 16

If they are over five, I use camping mats sketch. 2 camping mates per team, and they have to get from one side of the room to the other. I use the It's A Knockout! theme for it!

Activity 17

Musical corners - to Rock This Party. Four high vis vests worn my adults in the four corners of the room. Put the red and white one together of course!

Activity 18

Hokey-Cokey. Bet you were wondering when this pop in! Since there in the circle...

Activity 19

Get them all sat down, and give each kid a business card. "If you had a good time I want you to put your hand in the air like this... Now some call this marketing, some call it tacky, some call it advertising..." Get a good laugh, and I now know a good plumber who give his kid his business card to give to me!!

Activity 20

Final game of pass the parcel to Queen - Don't Stop Me Now.

And yes that fits in 1 hour and a half!

If the parents want a magic show, I will take out the best bits of the above and condense it to 50mins!

I also get kids to scream quite frequnelty, and daft stuff.

Like before musical bumps, I go scream "musical" then scream "musical bumps"

Before working for food I go scream "Hunger strikes"

I also after food say im getting tired so if I fall asleep at any point i should fall asleep please scream "WAKE UP CRAZY IDLE GARY".

Also have a bit of panto banter with the kids... OH NO YOUR NOT!! etc...

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

Witch Doctor, Macarena any action/tongue twister type dance songs seem to go down well.

Just watch out for knee sliders my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!

All stuck together with the finest DJ glue.

Ladiees an gennelmennn....the buffet is now open.