Dj's United

80's Theme Party For A 21st

Hi lads, I am doing a 21st Sat 13th with an 80's theme. It's fancy dress and for a crown of approx 100, they expect 150 but you know yourself. :D I have asked her if she just wants 80's all night. What do you guys reckon, mix it with chart/party of just go with the 80's considering the theme. I know there have been topics on this but just looking for some advice. I have a good bit of 80's but 4 - 5 hours of 80's...it could struggle!

I have tried doing a few decade specific nights and found that they generally dont work .

You will always get some one comming up and asking for something new.

IF the client wants a "dedicated" 80's night explpain to her that it might not be as easy as she thinks and maybe suggest she has a 70's/80's or 80's/90's .

will give you more scope with the music and make life a dam site easier for you .

IMHO

Agree with flash911. I have done a few of these over the years and with a 21st they will always want to hear the new tunes in the chart. I would explain to your client that you can do the full 80's set if she likes but that it may be better to mix it up for the crowds sake, at least an hour of newer stuff. Most people will see sense, I think I would really struggle to do more than 1.5-2hrs of 80's, you'll end up with lots of fillers that are no good to anybody.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I did an 80's night recently and didnt have any problems with twits asking for Lady Gaga (I would have played Queen).

The best interpretation is to have an 80's night as it would have been on December 31st 1989. That means you can play 70's too and avoid arguments over 1979 which produced a tonne of good tracks.

Agree with the host the rules up-front. If anyone on the night wants 2010 music refer them to the paying host.

You can always agree to come out of genre in the final hour of the evening, still mixing in the best 80's stuff.

There's enough great 80's music to have a 24 hour marathon set, so I wouldn't worry about running out of material.

Good luck, 80's nights are (IMHO) the best decade nights you can have.

:joe:

I brought a cd called "100 hits 80's" some really good songs on there in fact I would say you will have a better night playing 80's hits than you would playing the chart!

Everyone loves Abba, The Bee Gees and Bucksfizz when the beer is flowing.

Good music is in the ear of the beholder or so im told

Its my speciality.

I have run over 50 events without any problems.

The last one was a charity event and I had 80 15 - 20 year olds and 30 over 30's.

The Young uns knew 99% of the songs as they grew up with them.

I would agree if you can throw in some 70's cheese it will go down a storm.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Just posted a playlist on the other thread....

It was four hours of music and the youngsters LOVED IT!

It was a 80's Cheese Nite... chances are you could get away with adding chart stuff at the end of the nite...

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

I did a fancy dress 80's theme 40th birthday party just last Saturday. I was lucky, everyone was up for it, went from 20.00 till midnight with nothing but 80's stuff. The requests just kept coming so i did not have to think too hard. 80's being my era some requests brought back good memories and there were some good requests. Love and Pride by King anybody?? And don't forget living on the ceiling by blancmange which is the music to the current berrocca advert on tv. I would imagine an 80's theme for a 21st is going to be difficult because the majority of em will get fed up pretty quickly i would imagine.I would dare to suggest it might be an idea asking the client if you get requests for more upto date songs would you be ok to play them?

Good Luck

Bob

All stuck together with the finest DJ glue.

Ladiees an gennelmennn....the buffet is now open.