Dj's United

Hey guys,

Was just trawling the net and it got me thinking... am I paying too much for my hosting?

How much do you pay for your web hosting? (not applicable if you are using google sites or other free providers)

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

I'm paying about £30/month, but do host a selection of paying customers and my own sites.

Some have SSL certificates, as I develop online stores as a 2nd sideline.

A typical DJ with a single site should be able to get Good UK based hosting (ie, server is UK based) for £4-7/month. If you're careful, its possible to get a reasonable host for less - but don't expect much support or service.

It will depend on what is required, some DJ's have 2,3 or 4 sites, others just one.

Most DJ's won't have a need for a Virtual Private Server (VPS), or a Dedicated server, and so shared hosting is normally fine.

For me, I'd suggest a hosting company that provides a decent control panel (.i.e, Cpanel or Plesk), as this will allow you to make easy back-ups of your site.

I would suggest sticking with a UK based server if possible as the network should be much faster than a US based system.

I've been online since 1998, and used many webhosts - the US based ones are generally slower come the UK afternoon...

~

Looking at my outlay - I'm too far away from a dedicated server - but the ~£60/month prices do not include a control panel, and will generally require me to manage the server.

I'm happy to do command line stuff in Linux and can admin the server, but my spare time is short, and unless my webhost lets me down, I'll stay where I am.

I've been with them for 4 years, and are fairly fussy - so think I'm paying the right price.

I share a quad core Zeon server, and have 16GB storage and 60GB Bandwidth.

Best to stick with a company that does NOT offer "unlimited" deals - nothing is unlimited (as them if you can host a HD copy of a video with a link sent to all your guests...).

So Alex, its probably best to explain how much you're paying, and what you get for your £££

I've got a VPS. Used to have a co-located server until it failed miserably a year and a bit ago.... (Heatsink came off one of the motherboard chipset chips and the thing kept rebooting sporadically).

Currently I've got a 1Gb RAM VPS with 20Gig Disc space, which I know is on a dual quad-core Compaq Xeon server. Its Linux based. Also comes with backup space (Double the disc space)

I dont have cpanel or anything like that on it, as I do all administration by hand (including sendmail and apache configs!).

Costs me 20 quid a month + vat... again its an unmanaged VPS, so all down to me what I do (and don't do) with it!

David, on the internet since 1993.. :oldfart:

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Approx £35 a year on a shared server with Aventure media

been with them for 5 years with no problem, cannot remember how much bandwidth and space but oodles to spare.

nice Cpanel front end with loads of goodies

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

I have just swapped to a company called uk web solutions direct after a recomendation from our network administrator/personal IT consultant/fellow dj/part time web designer/dancer extrordinair Andy. I have paid about £41 inc vat for a years hosting. I get 3gb web space and 25gb bandwidth per month and all the usual extras. I like the cpanel as its easy for a technological challenged bloke like me.

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I pay £0000 for hosting my website. The software is free too.

I spent ages looking for a free provider that did not force you to place advertisesments on your page.

weebly.com is excellent. The only advert is a very small one liner at the bottom of each page that says you too can get a free website with weebly.

The drag and drop software is really easy to catch onto and is quite a good first step for a website.

No doubt when I have some spare cash I will upgrade to my own server and designer but the weebly version is doing a good job of it so far!

www.djteez.com

If anyone else takes up weebly let me know.

http://www.smilescollection.com/smiles/musicals/sc_9953.gif

I pay £0000 for hosting my website. The software is free too.

I spent ages looking for a free provider that did not force you to place advertisesments on your page.

weebly.com is excellent. The only advert is a very small one liner at the bottom of each page that says you too can get a free website with weebly.

The drag and drop software is really easy to catch onto and is quite a good first step for a website.

No doubt when I have some spare cash I will upgrade to my own server and designer but the weebly version is doing a good job of it so far!

www.djteez.com

If anyone else takes up weebly let me know.

Teez,

FYI, there is an issue with your site and the Chrome Browser. IE8 & FF looks fine, but in Chrome the style sheets are not being used.

weebly.com looks good. Your site is on a UK server and so 9 hops from my office desktop (my site is "closer" at 7, but will vary with ISP)

Weebly is not for me - I need php/mysql and more, but looks fine for most people.

Just found "Weebly Pro";

http://support.weebly.com/support/index.ph....page&id=28

$2.99/month for 1yr (£31/year)

This allows you to remove their copyright/advert, and quite a few other benefits. Looks good.

Jason

Teez,

FYI, there is an issue with your site and the Chrome Browser. IE8 & FF looks fine, but in Chrome the style sheets are not being used.

weebly.com looks good. Your site is on a UK server and so 9 hops from my office desktop (my site is "closer" at 7, but will vary with ISP)

Weebly is not for me - I need php/mysql and more, but looks fine for most people.

Just found "Weebly Pro";

http://support.weebly.com/support/index.ph....page&id=28

$2.99/month for 1yr (£31/year)

This allows you to remove their copyright/advert, and quite a few other benefits. Looks good.

Jason

I use the following for my hosting, and also bought my the address rights from this company also. They have different packages and prices that you can use.

www.1and1.co.uk

Many Thanks,

Wayne

• 7 months later...

if you have a good internet line at home and your ISP allows it, you can serve your own, i serve my own website, its easier to edit then too as its right at home.

all it costs is £2.59 for 2 years - which is the domain name.

Jack Wilson - Kent Discos

if you have a good internet line at home and your ISP allows it, you can serve your own, i serve my own website, its easier to edit then too as its right at home.

all it costs is £2.59 for 2 years - which is the domain name.

What about the PC left running 24x7? This will be costing you an extra ~£50pa+. For £4/month, you will be able to find some commercial hosting, saving you the electric bill, security risks and freeing up a PC.

Hopefully you're not running the web server on the same PC you use for day-to-day use, this really isn't a good idea. Not nesseserily a big problem if you're running Linux, but you'll need to be very good at security (so IPChains/BFD etc)

False economy IMO, unless there is another reason for running a home server.

However, good practice if you're looking to work in IT and can achieve highish uptime. (>99.99%, so 1hr downtime every 1,000hrs/1.5months)

You should also know that most broadband is Antisymmetric (ie, uploads are not the same speed as downloads - slower in the case of ADSL), and heavy activity in either direction (ie you downloading/viewing youtube) will seriously effect people trying to view your website due to acknowledgement(ACK) packets being stalled due to lack of bandwidth.

Finally, hosting can be free, very low cost, or simply a benefit of joining NADJ or DJPLI.com, so for £30pa or more, you'll get PLI and web hosting.

AlexEntertainment provides hosting services, and you will certainly save money by chatting to him.

I currently use UK2.net for my web hosting, but as I have a monthly contract rather than a annual/bi-annual I am probably paying more than I need (about £5/month I think).

I've just joined DJPLI.com, so am interested in finding our about the free web hosting - does anyone else use this, and have they got any advice on how to move my website over?

One thing I would like that I do not currently have is a completely separate email address. At the moment, mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk forwards to my usual email address, but I would rather have it completely separate. Does DJPLI.com do that, or does anyone know anyone else who does?

Sorry if my questions are not very clear, websites are something I know very little about!

Best regards,

Mark

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

What about the PC left running 24x7? This will be costing you an extra ~£50pa+. For £4/month, you will be able to find some commercial hosting, saving you the electric bill, security risks and freeing up a PC.

Hopefully you're not running the web server on the same PC you use for day-to-day use, this really isn't a good idea. Not nesseserily a big problem if you're running Linux, but you'll need to be very good at security (so IPChains/BFD etc)

False economy IMO, unless there is another reason for running a home server.

However, good practice if you're looking to work in IT and can achieve highish uptime. (>99.99%, so 1hr downtime every 1,000hrs/1.5months)

You should also know that most broadband is Antisymmetric (ie, uploads are not the same speed as downloads - slower in the case of ADSL), and heavy activity in either direction (ie you downloading/viewing youtube) will seriously effect people trying to view your website due to acknowledgement(ACK) packets being stalled due to lack of bandwidth.

Finally, hosting can be free, very low cost, or simply a benefit of joining NADJ or DJPLI.com, so for £30pa or more, you'll get PLI and web hosting.

AlexEntertainment provides hosting services, and you will certainly save money by chatting to him.

very true there, apart from the electric, and other little bits, it's not too expensive in the long run.

and no i have a dedicated server... wouldn't use a server as an every day work station - as part of my day job i work with computers by the way :yes:

my broadband is 20Mb download and 1Mb upload, that is plenty as i try to optimize my website for small data download, so its a bit quicker to display.

also i serve other websites too not just mine, so i it makes it money back there, so it's not a bad idea, but as you said yes the security risks can be high, but as long as you take precautions it should be ok.

whatever you do, NEVER use freewebs..... YUCK :lame:

the server is also a little extra tool, as i use it as a media server for home, you can watch any films/music/pictures you like on any TV in the house, provided it is on the network.

Hi Mark,

I suggest getting in touch with djpli.com regarding their hosting. I have many website and host my ecommerce clients sites, so have no need for other hosting.

I doubt it will be a problem moving a standard site across to any provider.

I would strongly recommend anyone having a "real" email address for their DJ business. If you have a domain name, you should make full use of it to provide a better image.

Also - ensure you have a signature on your emails

Landline+Mobile Number

Website Link

Facebook Group Link

etc...

It does depend on the level you're working at, but the best impression will be @yourdomain.com, and not mark1343@yahoo ...

As I have a few other activities, I really need to keep personal+business emails separate.

I've got one web development client who keeps emailing my dj@dance... address, it becomes a bit messy.

I use "IMAP" for email, rather than "POP3". IMAP basically leaves the emails on the server, and allows folder creation etc.

This means I can easily view the emails on my phone, netbook(s), laptops, and even the office PC. I can view sent emails. I also have webmail, so if I have to travel overseas (and don't want massive data bills), I can still get email.

Carmen (my partner) also has access to my DJ account, and so can view any correspondence.

totally agree about the e-mail...

i spoke to the osteopath where i work yesterday and she couldn't get her e-mail that the printers sent her, i said what e-mail do you use for your practice.... Hotmail..... i set the firewall at work to block hotmail! - she has a website and i said your better off using your domain name ....@osteo.co.uk or whatever it is...

it makes it look more professional and in a a way is a bit of marketing when your e-mail is seen.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this but....

As Jason said, I do offer hosting services and compared to many of the larger companies I'm a hell of a lot cheaper.

You have complete control and access to your domains and hosting and I don't restrict access to your DNS or Mail servers.

Prices start from £9.99 a YEAR!!

Also... I've created a discount code for DJU members....

djuoffer - it will give you £5 off the silver and gold packages!

As I generally only sell web hosting by word of mouth, I've set up a basic site where you can register and purchase hosting.

www.hostsphere.co.uk

One other thing is, you know you can always get hold of me on the forums and by other means and I'm not some faceless company :)

I can tell you that my servers are managed by HeartInternet so you know they are reliable and secure too.

PS: If this post breaches any rules I sincerely apologise, just wanted to let you guys know :) I'm more than happy to produce a banner and pay for advertising if need be.

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------