Dj's United

What Software/hardware Are You Using

Hi

I have a custom built pc which is a bit old running BPM Studio software latest version. I have heard of Virtual DJ and since joing this forum OTSAV Software. Does anyone here use BPM Studio ? Whats your experience of it? The Pc is a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with 512mb Ram only expandable to 1gb Max. I have another PC which is a P4 2.8ghz with 1gb Ram and and extra 1gb too add (4gb max). They are both running XP Pro and i have disabled all non relevant services and removed old software. I do intend to do a clean install on the Existing PC but am considering loading VDJ or OTSAV on the new one to compare. Also any reccommendations for an internal PCI sound card? Would a budget £20 card do the trick or should i look at higher end cards such as this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=224756 ? Thanks.

Hi Carl,

I think the card you listed is a bit overkill due to the Midi+Digital IO features.

Are you planning on going into a mixer?

If so, what inputs will the mixer take? If it can take Balanced XLR, then try to find a soundcard with Balanced outputs - this will greatly reduce noise.

You can get USB based cards - but before spending ££, work out your set-up.

I started out using a PC (Mini ITX format) with an external DJ Controller. This controller had a built-in soundcard, and so was connected to my Mixer.

Some controllers ARE also a mixer, and contain a Mic input, so something to think about... but also be prepared with a cheap mixer if the PC fails.. and you have to use some other device for playback.

I think NIK (UKHero) uses OTSAV, and this has good reviews, so should be high on your list to test.

Virtual DJ is what I used to use. I had no problems, but did a clean install, and kept to PC as a DJ Tool only (so no internet/av/fireware/games etc)

Hope this is of some help,

Jason

Hi Carl,

I think the card you listed is a bit overkill due to the Midi+Digital IO features.

Are you planning on going into a mixer?

If so, what inputs will the mixer take? If it can take Balanced XLR, then try to find a soundcard with Balanced outputs - this will greatly reduce noise.

You can get USB based cards - but before spending ££, work out your set-up.

I started out using a PC (Mini ITX format) with an external DJ Controller. This controller had a built-in soundcard, and so was connected to my Mixer.

Some controllers ARE also a mixer, and contain a Mic input, so something to think about... but also be prepared with a cheap mixer if the PC fails.. and you have to use some other device for playback.

I think NIK (UKHero) uses OTSAV, and this has good reviews, so should be high on your list to test.

Virtual DJ is what I used to use. I had no problems, but did a clean install, and kept to PC as a DJ Tool only (so no internet/av/fireware/games etc)

Hope this is of some help,

Jason

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i thought the card was overkill but then it was reccommended by a salesperson of said store. Think i'll go for just a basic Creative PCI card bout £25-£30. Just need it to connect from PC to amp. Pc is a mini itx also just need to do a clean install on it as it had aol and all sorts of stuff on it, i have disabled auto updates firewall etc and am just using it as a music pc. At the mo got the pc connected with a couple of cd's loaded in the main mixer deck incase of pc failure but will look at some controllers. As for the software it has improved but still getting some slight interuptions as have to search manually using windows explorer then drag n drop tracks. This could be software/driver issue or not enough memory (512mb) gonna be a bit of trial and error at the mo. Will look at a trial version of the otsav software and see how that runs.

Hi Carl - Welcome to the forum btw

the m-audio audiophile card you mentioned is a great little card but as jason said its a bit ott for djing. Many computer musicians use cards like those for getting a decent signal into their pc's as well as linking up midi keyboards/synths etc.

I have an old creative soundblaster live card in my desktop at home and its been no problem at all over the years. However i have never used it for dj work so cant comment on its performance there.

As regards to software i use virtual dj pro build 6.0.2. there have been various problems in the past with search crashes etc but i think its fine now and out of traktor and pcdj it has been my favourite. very easy to use. If you pick up an external controller like the numark total control or omni control you may get a lite version of virtual dj bundled in.

best wishes

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Thanks. Yes read a little about these controllers not entirely sure about them. Am i right in thinking that they hook up to the pc and you control it like that instead of the mouse / keyboard?!

Thanks. Yes read a little about these controllers not entirely sure about them. Am i right in thinking that they hook up to the pc and you control it like that instead of the mouse / keyboard?!

Yes- most are USB based, and will give you decent control over your playback.

You don't really want to be using Virtual DJ etc with a keyboard and mouse.

If you want to do real mixing (as opposed to fading), you'll need some kind of controller- the keyboard+mouse really won't be good enough.

Most controllers will provide;

-Jog wheels

-Faders

-Pitch control

-EQ control

-Cross Fader

-Cue/Stutter/Loop control

and normally more

When I was PC based, I used the controller for mixing/eq etc, and the keyboard+mouse (glidepad) for searching/song selection.

My advice would be to try out the software using your built-in soundcard. Find what controllers are supported and then visit your local DJ store to try/touch a few.

If they come with a built-in soundcard, so much the better.

I guess what you really need, will be driven by the type of DJing you'll be doing. Heavy Mixing will have higher requirements to simple fading.

I use a laptop running Windows 7 and Virtual DJ pro. The laptop is kept exclusively for gigs, it never goes near the internet and i've disabled or uninstalled everything not needed such as wifi drivers etc.

I control virtual dj with a Hercules RMX controller. It has a built in (good quality) sound card and runs ASIO drivers. It's a very impressive piece of kit for the money and probably my favourite purchase in years.

My main playout console is a sloped case which has the RMX rackmounted on the slope and my active crossover underneath. The rmx has a headphone socket and mic socket (with talkover) channel faders, cross fade, eq, eq kills, 6 assignable effects buttons and loads of other features so unless you are a karaoke dj or have other specific need for a mixer then you can quite easily do without one for the majority of gigs.

Edited by fester

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I use a laptop running Windows 7 and Virtual DJ pro. The laptop is kept exclusively for gigs, it never goes near the internet and i've disabled or uninstalled everything not needed such as wifi drivers etc.

I control virtual dj with a Hercules RMX controller. It has a built in (good quality) sound card and runs ASIO drivers. It's a very impressive piece of kit for the money and probably my favourite purchase in years.

My main playout console is a sloped case which has the RMX rackmounted on the slope and my active crossover underneath. The rmx has a headphone socket and mic socket (with talkover) channel faders, cross fade, eq, eq kills, 6 assignable effects buttons and loads of other features so unless you are a karaoke dj or have other specific need for a mixer then you can quite easily do without one for the majority of gigs.

Sounds good, what sort of price are you looking at for for one of those controllers ? Also just trying to wornder where i would fit one into my existing set up. At mo got main mixer cd deck box and separate amp sits underneath that. Would probably look at a rack mountable type of solution. Are you using a usb sound card then or just the onboard laptop sound?

I use the sound card that is built into the RMX. You simply connect your laptop to the RMX through USB, the rmx has either RCA phono or 6.25mm jack plug outputs which you can then run into your mixer or straight into your amp(s)

The RMX is round abouts £250 brand new although I got mine off ebay for £130 in mint condition.

If you want to rack mount you'd also need to buy or fabricate some rack ears, I bought a pair for £30.

edit: the soundcard built into the rmx is of very good quality and uses ASIO drivers. You can see the full details and some pictures here (clicky link)

Edited by fester

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I use the sound card that is built into the RMX. You simply connect your laptop to the RMX through USB, the rmx has either RCA phono or 6.25mm jack plug outputs which you can then run into your mixer or straight into your amp(s)

The RMX is round abouts £250 brand new although I got mine off ebay for £130 in mint condition.

If you want to rack mount you'd also need to buy or fabricate some rack ears, I bought a pair for £30.

edit: the soundcard built into the rmx is of very good quality and uses ASIO drivers. You can see the full details and some pictures here (clicky link)

Nice piece of kit, will deffo be looking to invest in the coming weeks. For now its a Sound card in the other pc i bought and some additional ram to take it too 2gb. Downloaded trial of VDJ and Atsav software so am gonna run 1 of them thru it next week and see how it performs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Carl

I use otsav.. I used to use BPM studio before that. Ots is the best bit of kit I have brought, but it depends what you want to do, as said above what sort of DJ are you and maybe more importantly what sort of DJ do you want to become?

I would say you need to decide that first...

As to the sound card buy the best you can afford as this is your main link from your PC to your audience. I always say buy the best you can afford this might seem like over kill but better to strive for the best than make do IMHO....

Hope my thought help

Nik

• 3 weeks later...

My first post!

I use a Apple Macbook Pro running Mac OS 10.6.3 (no issues with viruses :D ) I use Djay 3.0 software which links into the iTunes library smoothly!.

I connect the Macbook Pro to a Vestax Spin Midi/computer device and then straight into an Skytec Pro 1000 Amp.

I find this setup really easy to use, very lightweight and saves lots of room in the car :).

Would certainly recommend anybody to use an Apple laptop they are excellent especially running Djay software. I have run the same setup on a entry level macbook as well and all was fine!

My first post!

I use a Apple Macbook Pro running Mac OS 10.6.3 (no issues with viruses :D ) I use Djay 3.0 software which links into the iTunes library smoothly!.

I connect the Macbook Pro to a Vestax Spin Midi/computer device and then straight into an Skytec Pro 1000 Amp.

I find this setup really easy to use, very lightweight and saves lots of room in the car :).

Would certainly recommend anybody to use an Apple laptop they are excellent especially running Djay software. I have run the same setup on a entry level macbook as well and all was fine!

Thanks for the input on this one Cozie and welcome to the forum. dont forget to pop over to the introduce yourself thread and tell us s bit about yourself.

Regards

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Hi Cozie,

Not sure how technical you are Cozie, but Apples can and do get viruses (there are quite a few AV Vendors for Apple)

If you don't have a good AV system in place, get one asap and keep it up dated.

I think there are a few Mac users here (who obviously have too much money etc etc etc lol)

Jason

Hi Cozie,

Not sure how technical you are Cozie, but Apples can and do get viruses (there are quite a few AV Vendors for Apple)

If you don't have a good AV system in place, get one asap and keep it up dated.

I think there are a few Mac users here (who obviously have too much money etc etc etc lol)

Jason

Jason stop stoking the fire ... :lil devil: you know Apple are best lol

p.s. i was going to say my bit for apple and how great they are.. but i will wait for tomorrow morning as sods law my Macbook will go up in flames tonight during my gig

oohh

Jason stop stoking the fire ... :lil devil: you know Apple are best lol

p.s. i was going to say my bit for apple and how great they are.. but i will wait for tomorrow morning as sods law my Macbook will go up in flames tonight during my gig

Haha!

No - they are well designed, but the last time I used an Apple Mac was when I was 13 on Work Experience from School..! lol

Probably a silly question but does a controller exist for OTSAV? I absolutely love using the program but there are times when I would like to be a little bit more "hands on" with my music files. If this can be done without the use of a separate program I will be highly appreciative.

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

can the Hercules RMX hot cue?

if you are clever enough you can remap some devices to carry out different functions but i cant speak for the hercules or otsav