Dj's United

Gig Report - Disaster Strikes!

Last night was one of my many children's discos (aged 3-7) in a local school, which I have been doing now for about 6 years.

'Piece of cake', I thought.

'Money for old rope', I said.

No worries. Simples.

How wrong could I have been :(

Just under an hour in to the hour and a half duration gig, disaster struck. My Numark CDN22 (Mk 2) suddenly stopped playing (ok, so I was playing 'Who Let The Dogs Out' at the time - you can hardly blame the poor machine). I immediately panicked and just started playing whatever was in the other slot at the time (well, who wouldn't). But then after quickly trying several other discs in the slot that had failed realised that it wasn't going to play anything else at all, it was kaput. :damn:

And, to cap it all, no backup CD player :damn: :damn: :damn:

After letting the other CD player carry on playing another couple of tracks with me waffling on trying to fill the gaps in between (luckily it was one of those 'Various Artist - Party Time' efforts) I realised that I couldn't carry on like this for the rest of the evening, well the remaining half an hour anyway. I was racking my brains trying to think what I could put on when suddenly I remembered that I had a copy of 'The Very Best of Euphoric Disco Breakdown' in my CD collection - a neat collection of disco tracks that had been 'ready-mixed'. Hey, an instant solution that carried me through the rest of my time - phew!!!

Anyone know whether it's worth trying to get this CD player repaired, if so then where? If not, any recommendations on how to avoid this happening in future would be welcome.

When I used just CD's I carried an mp3 player and a personal discman to.

These can be easily hooked up to your mixer and ideal as backup.

The discman in your case, would of being ideal to get you through last night.

Just make sure you can run off mains power and not just battery!

However, well done for getting through it! The show most go on as Freddie sang.

Gary

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

Anyone know whether it's worth trying to get this CD player repaired, if so then where? If not, any recommendations on how to avoid this happening in future would be welcome.

I had a problem with a Numark CDMix2.

I took it to my local TV/Radio/Electrical appliance repair shop. It was fixed within 3 days.

This sort of shop will be repairing domestic CD players on a regular basis so should have no problem in diagnosing your fault and letting you know if it's worth repairing.

To avoid this happening again get a back-up unit! There are lots of cheap ones around.

WEll you live and learn dont you. Carry some sort of backup for everything even if it's an ipod and powered speaker. The show must go on..at least; if you're being paid to do it; you owe it to your customers.

Ok, lecture over, look at the price of a new Numark versus the cost of getting it repaired properly . Is it worth it? Maybe get it repaired for a spare and get a new one as your main unit, the spare can always sit in the van until its needed.

WEll you live and learn dont you. Carry some sort of backup for everything even if it's an ipod and powered speaker. The show must go on..at least; if you're being paid to do it; you owe it to your customers.

Ok, lecture over, look at the price of a new Numark versus the cost of getting it repaired properly . Is it worth it? Maybe get it repaired for a spare and get a new one as your main unit, the spare can always sit in the van until its needed.

Agree