Dj's United

Hi guys! Remember me? I hope you're all doing great!

Well, it's been a while - May 30th last year since my last post (number 2,207)!! At the time, everything was going great - I'd left full-time employment to pursue a career as a self-employed DJ, purchased loads of top-quality gear and spent the best part of four months transferring my entire CD collection to Ots. I'd got gigs lined up and the show was as near as dammit to perfection. I was working on the marketing before the big 'launch' when I lost someone very close to me.

It hit me hard and made me very thankful for what I had bit I also re-assessed my life. I decided working weekends and being away from my family was the last thing I wanted so I got myself a 'proper' job. Like every other DJ who has made this decision, I didn't get rid of the gear...just in case!

That job was bloody hard, it took up almost sixty hours a week but I learned some new skills and got to spend the entire weekend with the family. Thankfully, I got another job, a couple of weeks ago, which is on the doorstep, less hours and more pay. Before I start that job I'm taking a couple of weeks holiday and I have decided to use that time to get rid of all my gear.

So, how have you all been? Has anything interesting happened in the last 10 months!! Last time I was here we were all discussing licensing - has it been abolished yet?

I'll start to list the gear in the coming days; I'll put it on here first before offering it elsewhere.

[insert quirky comment]

Hi guys! Remember me? I hope you're all doing great!

Well, it's been a while - May 30th last year since my last post (number 2,207)!! At the time, everything was going great - I'd left full-time employment to pursue a career as a self-employed DJ, purchased loads of top-quality gear and spent the best part of four months transferring my entire CD collection to Ots. I'd got gigs lined up and the show was as near as dammit to perfection. I was working on the marketing before the big 'launch' when I lost someone very close to me.

It hit me hard and made me very thankful for what I had bit I also re-assessed my life. I decided working weekends and being away from my family was the last thing I wanted so I got myself a 'proper' job. Like every other DJ who has made this decision, I didn't get rid of the gear...just in case!

That job was bloody hard, it took up almost sixty hours a week but I learned some new skills and got to spend the entire weekend with the family. Thankfully, I got another job, a couple of weeks ago, which is on the doorstep, less hours and more pay. Before I start that job I'm taking a couple of weeks holiday and I have decided to use that time to get rid of all my gear.

So, how have you all been? Has anything interesting happened in the last 10 months!! Last time I was here we were all discussing licensing - has it been abolished yet?

I'll start to list the gear in the coming days; I'll put it on here first before offering it elsewhere.

Certainly do remember you matey ! I am so sorry to hear about your loss and it sounds like you have been a rock for your family , I am so pleased you have got a better job as travelling and long hours are never a good mix. It is sad that you are thinking of selling your gear but i do understand that a shock like you have had can make you re-evaluate what's important and in the grand scale playing tunes to often drunks is not the most important thing !

I am, as are many others here always on the look out for a bargain or too so i will look at the classifieds when you get the chance to post although a smile would be raised if you decided not to sell your gear as i know how difficult it can be to let go of the DJing bug.

As for the licence... thats still with us and farcical as ever ..download legally direct to performance drive and no licence is needed ..go out buy a cd and convert it and you do need a licence.

really nice to hear from you again and yes i still bang on about karaoke at every chance i get lol

warm welcome back Rob

Edited by Robster
Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Welcome back Ben, however long it may last. Its sad to hear you are hanging up the headphones but there is no comparison between the love of the job and the love of the closest to you.

Best wishes for the future however it pans out and remember - Work is for people who can't play golf!

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Hi Rob

Just a quick line from a newbie (only 35 posts) to say thankyou for your previous posts they made for very interesting reading and discussion.

So please accept my gratitude and best wishes for the future, hope everything works out as you hope

Regards

Tommo :pro:

:welcome: back and sit back and enjoy the ride.

Ray

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Hi BB

There's a lot giving it up mate! Interesting times times indeed!

:djuhi:

Some nice comments there; thanks guys...especially Tommo! You can stroke my ego any time you like!

As for you Nik...you haven't changed a bit!!

Whilst sifting through my many boxes and flight-cases I came across my old snare drum. It's a Rogers Dyna-Sonic from the 60's. No idea where I got it from but I must have had it 25 years. I'm off to get it valued now...might be worth in excess of £200!

From around the same era - the 80's - I've found all my old vinyl. What have you guys done with your vinyl? I mean, we never play it so it just sits in a box collecting dust and warping. May as well get rid I suppose; but where? Seems such a shame to throw it. Although I have an original 12" of Blue Monday that is probably the only item of value.

[insert quirky comment]

Although I have an original 12" of Blue Monday that is probably the only item of value.

Frame it!

Some good bits of eye candy on 80's vinyl!

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Please avoid weddings and parties with a DJ for a while... You really don't want to be one of the "I used to be a DJ you know" types :D lol

Jason

As for you Nik...you haven't changed a bit!!

Tee Hee Hee that's true... Shame your off mate it does seem like quite a few are hanging up the headphones or from one 80's guy to another the trim phone lol.....

there seem to be quite a few people on here don't post any more i guess they have had enough of the DJ life style and gone to get a proper job lol.

All the best and kind regards to you and your folks.

Nik

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't know where the time goes anymore. I used to be on here all the time and now I'm finding it difficult to make one post a week!

I will start to go through my stuff in earnest next week. I'll get it on here first but, obviously, I want to maximise my return so it will all probably end up on eBay shortly after.

I have already placed an item on eBay today - a Martin EFX600 150w discharge DMX light. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it from here or not...?

[insert quirky comment]

Hi Rich!

Good to hear from you, but a shame you are giving up the DJing, as I know you were an entertaining, professional DJ. I'm still doing a bit, but mostly Karaoke, as that's what I enjoy most. I'm also lead singer in a rock band now too, which is great fun! If ever you are in Cheshire, let me know. Obviously, I'm now a bit short on time too... plus more recently, I've found that punters do not want to pay a decent price for a quality service, so not doing so many full on discos.

I may be interested in you Bose poles though... can you PM/text me with a price?

All the best,

Ian