Dj's United

Kam Imspro15a - Red Thingy.

Hey, Right I bought a pair of Kam IMS PRO 15A speakers.

At a gig yesterday I heard something a bit loose when I was setting up and halfway through the gig the top half went all the treble in the speakers, I managed with only one to struggle through. Now when I opened up I found a red contraption on the floor of the speaker snapped off the circuit board and it reads from what I can tell:

Audiophiler

106J.HI5

400V. MKP

thats what I think it says anyway, questions is, is this the reason why the treble went I don't think I blew it because it was only on half power. Also what are they? Where do I get a new one? And is it easy to put back on?

Ste

Stephen Owens Entertainments

Office: 01704 897078

Mobile: 0782 8270 854

Web: www.stephen-owens.co.uk

Email: Monkey-business-disco@hotmail.co.uk

Can I get a new one?

Or can I use one from an old speaker?

The capacitors will be very cheap (typically pennies), if the speakers are out of warranty then either get some from ebay/cpc/farnell/maplin(?) etc

and solder it yourself, or get a repair shop to do it for you- providing that is the problem, its only a few minutes.

If its IN warranty - take it back.

That capacitor will be a few quid, can't you re-use it, or have both legs sheared off?

You need a 10uF 400 volt metallised polypropylene capacitor, doesnt matter what shape it is so long as it will fit the pcb easily. Glue it in or fit a cable tie to prevent the new one vibrating loose as well.

Dont be tempted to fit a cheap electrolytic (it will explode) or a polyester (it will go open circuit).

example click

PS... CPC order code is CA05708

Edited by superstardeejay

Cheers for you help guys, I live about 10 minutes from CPC and so will go down tomorrow, but that one which you have mentioned superstar I solder that back onto the crossover board and it should be ok?

Apologies if I seem a little simple, first set of active speakers not very technical really!

Thanks again, will keep you posted.

P.S I cant reuse it one of the legs has sheared off, it looks like a stick of dynamite now!

Edited by Ste Owens

That cap is a crossover cap, I'm assuming the Kam has a mono amp that is passively split for the bass and treble so will explain why its breaking off has affected the sound.

Yes, just solder the new one in, you can sometimes get cheaper ones for industrial use that are square rather than barrel-shaped, like I said, it doesnt matter so long as the voltage is the same or higher, the capacitance has to be the same, and it must be a metallised polypropylene which is the type of construction, these are resistant to high voltage AC signals where cheaper ones aren't.

the capacitor code is as follows

106 = 10uF (ten microfarads)

J = 5% (5 percent tolerance)

MKP = metallised polypropylene (self healing dielectric)

audiophiler = brand

400V = 400 dc volts working

Just remember that even the best quality capacitor is no good if its legs vibrate off so get the evostick, hotmelt or silicon sealant out and don't be frightened to use it.