Dj's United

Just been looking at the New RCF 4 series which is essentially the 3 series with the 7 series cabinets and digital amplification

The ART 4 Series is the new addition to the worldwide famous ART series portable speakers from RCF that combine the legendary audio quality and toughness of the ART 3 Series with the latest digital Digipro amplification technology developed for the ART 7 Series.

Newly designed digital amplifiers coupled with the unique RCF transducers technology make the ART 4 Series a cutting edge product, suitable for any portable sound reinforcement applications.

spec on the 422-a

Acoustical Specifications

Frequency Response -3 dB: 45 Hz ÷ 20 kHz

Max SPL: 128 dB

Horizontal coverage angle: 90°

Vertical coverage angle: 60°

Compression Driver: 2"neo 2.5" voice coil

Woofer: 12" neo 3" voice coil

INPUT/OUTPUT SECTION

Input connectors: xlr-jack

Output connectors: xlr

PROCESSOR SECTION

Crossover frequencies: 1300 Hz

Controls: Flat, Boost

AMPLIFIER SPECIFICATIONS

Total power: 400 Watts

High frequencies: 100 Watts

Low frequencies: 300 Watts

CABINET

Handles: 1 on top, 2 on sides

Pole Mount/Cap: yes

Grille: steel

PHYSICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Height: 637/25 mm/inch

Width: 384/15.11 mm/inch

Depth: 363/14.2 mm/inch

Net Weight: 18/39.6 Kg/Lbs

Not in the shops yet so i cant confirm the any prices, but wont be long.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Interesting...a few months ago a dealer advised me that the bass from the Series 7 speakers was a bit disappointing and a new range would be out soon to address this....looks like this is it.

Interesting...a few months ago a dealer advised me that the bass from the Series 7 speakers was a bit disappointing and a new range would be out soon to address this....looks like this is it.

Obviously the 7 series are 750w and a lot dearer so it will be interesting to see the prices. Norfolk DJ (Rob) has just bought a pair of the 7 series and am waiting for a review, when he has done a gig with them

Dave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Obviously the 7 series are 750w and a lot dearer so it will be interesting to see the prices. Norfolk DJ (Rob) has just bought a pair of the 7 series and am waiting for a review, when he has done a gig with them

Dave

Yes, Dave. I will use them for the first time on Saturday, so I will report back next week.

• 2 weeks later...

They are on the way. Soundslive in Newcastle has them listed as coming soon on their website and the price of the 3 series has come down with the 312-a retailing at £850 (previously £998)

They are on the way. Soundslive in Newcastle has them listed as coming soon on their website and the price of the 3 series has come down with the 312-a retailing at £850 (previously £998)

They have appeared on the market. The 412a is going for £1159 (pair) with the 422a going for £1329 (pair) The 15" versions are about 8% more.

source - http://www.decks.co.uk/products/speakers?man=4038&pn=1

They have appeared on the market. The 412a is going for £1159 (pair) with the 422a going for £1329 (pair) The 15" versions are about 8% more.

source - http://www.decks.co.uk/products/speakers?man=4038&pn=1

Hmm that's about the old price of the 322's

I have the 722A's. Very good indeed with the excellent 2 inch long throw horn and 12 inch woofer. Loads of bass and thunderous output. These speakers seemed at their best at larger venues.

• 4 months later...

That might have something to do with RCF intending on the 7 series being used with the 705AS subs. Some manufacturers purposely make their mid/highs light in the low frequency range or have high pass filters built in like the DB Technologies Arena Pro series of which the 152 2-way cabs are at -3db down at 70hz which says to me they're designed to be used with subs. RCF's Acustica C5212 and C5215 cabs are the same, with them being -3db at 65hz and -3db at 55hz respectively, so they're onbiously designed to be used with the S8018 and S8028 subs.

• 3 months later...

Finally, I can give a proper review and verdict of the Art 412-A loudspeakers. :D

Had a gig last night in the local golf clubhouse. Good space; can seat 150 including their dancefloor - but was probably only playing for about 70 people last night.

I decided, even though I would usually take my 705-AS sub when I was using the Mackies, not to take the sub with me to see how the 412's handled full range signals on their own.

I have to say, I was and still am speechless. Once the party was going, all the 412's wanted to do was pump out the bass. My EQ (Pioneer DJM700) per channel was about +2db, -4db, 0db; treble, mid, lows respectively which produced the best sound - although with a few tracks I found I would have to pull the low end back a bit because the bass was just a bit too overwhelming!

When using the Mackies (by themselves), I found myself pushing the low end sometimes up to +3db; but the fact is that the SRM450's are useless for accurate bass reproduction at high SPLs, and in turn very harsh with mid and highs; I would usually have to pull back on the mid-high EQs, while trying to equalise the low end.

Those who use, or have used the SRM450v1's will know very well that the heatsinks on the back become extremely hot within the first hour or so of being driven hard. The 412's didn't need a whole lot of pushing to reach my 'normal playing SPL' (volume control on the speakers at 3 o'clock), and best of all produced virtually no heat all night!! If anything, they were lukewarm, but still very surprised that there was no real heat coming from the digital amps. Says a lot about the efficiency and the quality of components in comparison to that of the Mackies.

I'm not sure how the 412's compare with the 312's, but from what I've heard the 3 series are also top notch for producing great sound across all frequencies; especially the low end. I went for the 4 series because of their digital amps, which make them a good 4kg lighter than the 3 series; weighing them in at just over 14kg each.

VERDICT: So far, I have no faults whatsoever to pick with the 412's; they really are beautiful in every way. Digital amplification is still a fairly new technology, so only time will tell how the amps hold up; but RCF still offer their 3 year warranty as standard for the 4 series.

So really if you're looking for a lightweight, portable and simply excellent sounding solution across the board - without the whopping expense of the 7 series - then the 4 series couldn't fit the bill any better. Obviously at just under £1,200 the pair, the 412's aren't all that cheap either, but to hear them is to love them.

Edited by dj_dash

Good stuff Dash. A friend of mine has just bought a pair of 422's and i hope to do an a/b between them and my 712's sometime soon. I went for the 7's as i had the cash at the point where the 3 series were discontinued and were hard to get hold of and the 4 series were nowhere to be seen.

with the 902 sub they are truely awesome at regular levels and i have yet to play a big enough venue where they can get a good thumping, one coming up in march so am looking forward to that.

A bit off topic but i have been doing some pa work for the wifes band over the last few weeks, during the quiet spell, and one night they had some Mackie srm 450 V2's for front of house. The sound was terrible, really harsh in comparison with dropping my rcf's in place. They use some 350's for monitors which are nice enough at that level.

Edited by MintyDave