Dj's United

There has been so much discussion on this forum about each others websites and we have helped each other by reviewing each others formats/designs.

That's fine, but I think we should be discussing how we can help each other appear at the top of Google search engines.

Individually I know many try their best to get 'found' as close to the top of the list as possible but together I think we could do a far better job.

I know Dukesy launched a website last year and I entered all my details etc but I've never seen it appear on any search lists. In all honesty I can't even find it now to see if it's changed. This is not criticism, I'm just keen on keeping us up to date.

As the DJU. is it not time for us to do another root and branch review of how we as members can be found by prospective customers?

With all these experts on website creation in the forum, should we not be considering a refreshed 'Find a DJ' website that contains DJU Members only and that is funded sufficiently so that when someone puts 'DJ Manchester' the DJU list of members in Manchester appears at the top of the search page ??

There are lots of small websites out there trying to get our subscriptions and I've joined one or two on an experimental basis but still don't always see my name appear when I type in my home town.

I'm sure the DJU has tried this before and members come and go but if Goodparty can make money and generate enquiries by being easily found, I'd rather pay DJU to be found than any other service provider.

I suspect that the website would have to be created cheaply by volunteers in order for any of the funds to be focused on paying Google to get as high up the list as possible.

There is a hardcore of posters on this forum and I'm sure that we would all gladly contribute ideas and help to get the website up to date.

I would also be happy to pay an increased annual membership alongside the insurance for my details to appear on the refreshed DJU website.

I repeat, I'm not complaining or trying to knock the hard work that's gone into this so far, I just think that we talk so much about marketing ourselves but omit from our discussions the most obvious solution.

:joe:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Dukesy launched a website last year and I entered all my details etc but I've never seen it appear on any search lists. In all honesty I can't even find it now to see if it's changed. This is not criticism, I'm just keen on keeping us up to date.

Its a clear case of I.C.B.A

Unfortunately one of the things which Google likes and rewards is lots and lots of unique content. Have you checked out the stunning descriptions and the well written and descriptive self promotion on Dukey's site some of which barely streatch to 25 words?.

Personally its so embarrasingly spartan that i'd have pulled the plug on the site ages ago.

Secondly, forgive me if i'm wrong but how much does it cost to list on there?. To my knowledge it appears to be free and you pay nothing to add a listing. What are you expecting in return from a site which has zero turnover and takes zero revenue?. A full £4000 page in a Wedding Magazine perhaps?, maybe a TV advert between Coronation Street? or maybe he should be asked to pay £500 a month in adwords revenue?.

These types of site rely on getting and gaining a search engine presence as a result of new and fresh content being generated by those who list, which adds to the indexable value of the site and will probably result in a higher ranking once Google sees that effort is being put in and other sites are respecting it enough to link back to it.

A simple google search for UK Results of 'Mobile Disco' brings up 697,000 results - most of them Mobile DJ's trying to get onto the front page of Google. So in order for a Mobile Disco site to rank highly is to get the attention of Google, and convince Google that it is more interesting and valuable than the other 696,999 sites which are already on there.

I don't see one line descriptions like "I am a mobile disco and I have the latest lights" really cutting the ice and doing that can you?. If you do a search on Google for various terms and visit the sites which are no1 or even high ranking, the one thing that stands out from them is the fact that they have more content than one single line or sentence.

So in other words, you get back, what you put in, and if you get nixt back then first go and examine what you put in and see if there is a connection. If 40, 100 or 200 DJ's all chipped in and added a detailed, well written keyword filled description and PAGE about their business, then you would have a growing site, with new daily 'articles' containing 40, 100 or 200 pages of unique content all carefully written with pride, which would, over time probably begin to get a search engine presence, and wouldn't cost anybody a thing, apart from an hour or so of their time.

Even if you can't write a decent article about your business yourself, most people have friends, family, work colleagues you probably would and could for a price of a beer. Some DJ's may have clever kids wanting something to write for their next english assignment or business studies project. The opportunities are endless even if DJ's are not the next wordsworth. But the crux of the matter, is like every other corner of the profession when the spotlight is turned on it, how many can actually be bothered!?.

Dukesy has probably taken one look at the interest which has been shown in his site and the care taken by those using it in creating a listing which does the site justice and has probably abandoned it, and who'd blame him?. Most DJ's do absolutely nothing to help the industry or each other and even helping themselves is often beyond their consideration, so in even building and hosting a free site for others to list with no actual reward, recompense or even a simple thank you is more than most DJ's ever do for others in 30 years, so I guess Dukesy has already accomplished more than most :devil:

In fact I think I recall Dukesy actually posting something along those lines himself just after the site was launched. You can see how much notice was taken.

I'm sure the DJU has tried this before and members come and go but if Goodparty can make money and generate enquiries by being easily found, I'd rather pay DJU to be found than any other service provider.

As far as I can tell there is plenty of criticisim levied at sites such as Goodparty, so the 'paid for' approach, from what I read on forums is no better than the free approach. Certainly some of the comments about Goodparty seem to indicate that the average 'budget' does seem to be dropping and given the fact that 100's of entertainers all use it, and all compete with each other makes it something of a buyers meat market for the client, who can literally sit back whilst the dutch auction effect takes over and people bid for their business - usally downwards

Some of the other paid sites, take payment to list and then use the revenue generated to promote their site using a variety of external "paid for" methods but then again, they are promoting the entire site and not your individual business, so the onus once again is on each individual DJ to make their listing stand out above and beyond everybody elses, and get the attention of the client over the 150 other competitors who are also on the same site and getting equal exposure from the advertising.

One client - one booking - one enquiry which then generates 150 choices and quotes back from the 150 DJ's on the one site some of which might be willing to work for peanuts.

It sounds daft, but when you add your listing to paid site, you are actually chipping in and helping to raise the revenue required to run and promote that site and also your competitors, some of whom may be undercutting you!. Its never made sense to me that people will pay money to support a site which also advertises their competitors whilst at the same time complaining that they won't recepricate a link to a directory for free because there competitors are also on there. Huh? well whats the difference!. :wacko:

I would also be happy to pay an increased annual membership alongside the insurance for my details to appear on the refreshed DJU website.

DJU doesn't charge a membership fee its free, at least i've never been charged to use it since I signed up back in 2003.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

I think your point is that there is too much apathy amongst DJ's?

I think that may be a symptom of there not being one central subscription based website that shines out above the rest. If there were, I am certain people would jump to join because they couldn't afford not to.

My point about membership fees was that I think if the website is strong enough people would be prepared to pay an annual fee to be listed in it if it was something that was credible and often refered to.

Some of the other trades have got their act together. You type in one key word like 'plumber' or 'surveyor' and right towards the very top of Google's first page is a link to their association or union. On that website you type in the postcode and up pops the nearest service providers.

http://www.ukwda.org/

http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Find-a-Plumber/About-Find-a-Plumber/

http://www.lawyerlocator.co.uk/

http://www.rics.org/findasurveyor

http://www.magician-directory.com/Magicians-UK.htm

http://www.chiropractic-uk.co.uk/default.aspx?m=1&mi=1

http://www.musicteachers.co.uk/

We don't really have anything like this and although I'd prefer the DJU to front this I'm highlighting a gap in the market for such a central website. Ultimately if DJ's don't want to subscribe that's their choice but it is chicken and egg and until an independant website appears offering this service (rather than the DIY efforts on the market now) our industry will continue to be highly fragmented.

I think your point is that there is too much apathy amongst DJ's?

In a nut shell yes. Although the apathy isn't just towards the industry its often towards their own philosophy and level of interest in running and marketing themselves and taking control of their business. Read back through several of my posts from the last few months and see the anomosity towards some of the threads i've started discussing the nuts and bolts of running and marketing, if anybody HAS commented its more often than not been negative!.

In fact, see just how much interest this thread and your post has created!. It was made at lunchtime today, yet you can see how interested other Dj's are in the subject, if I hadn't have posted you'd still be on zero replies. Nuff said. You can't encourage and nurtur interest in something when it simply isn't there!.

think that may be a symptom of there not being one central subscription based website that shines out above the rest. If there were, I am certain people would jump to join because they couldn't afford not to.

You've not included any detail in relation to what will make this idealistic site "shine out from all of the rest", and if you don't how how or where this magical ingrediant is going to come from, then what makes you think anybody else, including Dukesy has?.

Ultimately there are hundreds of DJ and Wedding related 'paid for' directories out there, all of them doing the same thing - saturating the market and taking a fee in return for a listing and trying to get high rankings on Google. Some of them demand a return link from their site to the directory, an act that brings cries of dismay from DJ's. I guess one reason why Dukesy doesn't list members of DJ@ on his website / forum is that it would immediately remove its neutral terriority and would stop DJ's from linking back to it, for fear of sending their own visitors to an external site which contains links and details of their competitors. He can't win really.

One established directory site, already contains excellent search engine rankings and that is UK Disco which still ranks highly for all Wedding Disco / Mobile Disco related terms, yet even so, very few, if any DJ relies on it to get 100% of their workload and I doubt that anybody here can say that UK Disco books their diary solid and that every booking for every Fri and Sat they have between now and the end of 2010 has come SOLELY from UK Disco or an Equiv. It doesn't work like that, its called market forces and client diversity.

The problem is, that a lot of DJ's just like buying nice lights, and the thrill and adreline rush of the actual gig with the occasional cat fight on forums. they really don't want to be promoting themselves or doing the boring side of running a business and probably don't even know how best to go about it. They just want to sit back and let somebody else handle the industry promotion and that 'paperwork' side of the business, they want a quick fix, a magical way of promoting themselves for minimum outlay and turning those empty diary enteries into paying gigs and not just paying gigs, but WELL paying gigs. I'm sorry to say that whilst hundreds of DJ's are waiting on such a thing, it simply doesn't exist.

Ultimately its not down to Dukesy or any other entity or association to breast feed DJ's straight from the teet, we all need to pull our collective weight and work hard to put our own unique and postive mark on the industry so we can all reap the benefits and the increased client confidence and awareness which brings home the rewards and a salary which is commensurate with some of the other professional trades you have listed in the links above. Unfortunately it will never happen because far too many people out there have vested interests or are in it under the impression of making a fast buck or building their own personal fiefdom and don't intend to stay in it long enough to form any affiliation or real interest in the profession. In short there is solidarity nor any real interest in subscribing to an entity which is trying to forge that solidarity, yet there are no shortages of little generals and wannabe Billy Big Boll:cense:ks but for all of the wrong reasons.

But lets just say that your idea has worked, Dukesy has made a site which ranks highly for every DJ related search term and he's getting 1 million hits every month. Problem is, that every DJ is now on it ranging from sixty quid sid to thousand pound terry and there are a total of 1500 UK based Mobile Disco's listed on this mythical website.

The visitor clicks the link and lands on this DJ Wonderland, he/she is now faced with 150 pages each listing 10 Mobile Disco's. Your Disco listing appears on page 122. Now that the client has clicked the top listing on Google and landed on the index page, what is going to make the client want to book YOU out of the other 150 pages all crammed full of DJ's??. Dukesy can't guarantee that every one of those 1500 DJ's is going to get one booking a week from their listing because I seriously doubt that there is that much work around at the moment, neither can Dukesy make sure that every business appears on his front page or at no1 of 1500 listings!, so there are going to be DJ's who get plenty of work and DJ's who list for a year and never get a single enquiry, and who then wonder off to the nearest forum and whinge about it because its not faaaaairrrrrrr.

The you will get the inevitable fight to reach the top listing on this magical site of Dukesy's, so there will be the AAA Disco, followed quickly by AAAAA disco and then AAAAAAAAAAA disco :wall: - yeah its been done to death since the Yellow pages and hardly original :wacko: but then again its a corner cut because doing that means that they won't have to write a 3 page press release of a Wedding Brochure in order to promote their business, they'll just rely on the alphabet :D

Besides, the whole directory and comparison site thing has been done to death IMO. Have you noticed how many insurance companies are now launching their own adverts and proudly stating that they are NO LONGER part of the comparison site culture and don't appear on them?. This time last year there was just one major insurance company who broke free and that was Norwich Union / Aviva. Now more and more household names are braking loose, severing ties with the damn meercats and that annoying opera singer who everybody wants to shoot.

This is because the comparison market has been saturated because the client now expects to create a dutch auction between the companies and play them off against each other, and inevitably like on Ebay a bidding war begins out of pride with everybody cutting ££££ to the point where they aren't making any money from the deal. In other words the value of their product has been made worthless by the competitive nature and the gold rush to be the cheapest.

One of the business media sites actually ran an article on this just before Xmas, following the fortunes of one such company whose turnover increased by 28% in the 6 months following their comparison site departure.

At the end of the day, love em, hate em or rely heavily on sites like Goodparty, the most £££ and the highest fee's will always be derived from your own sweat and your abilty to draw people to your business and make them think that you are worth every penny that you are charging. Make the client feel special and that their business is valued and they will not feel the need to look at your competitors sites or god forbid, find one of the saturated comparison sites where 150+ DJ's will all bamboozle them with offers and how many pat and pli certificates they have, then fight to the death with other Dj's in order to offer the lowest prices. :wall: :wacko:

Either way, even the best website in the world won't make people get married or reopen those 1000's of pubs which have been forced to close and there is a downturn on demand for both market sectors. I don't think in 2010 that there is much work out there to get, at least not beyond the chancer wanting a charity gig for nothing or a full blown disco on a £30 budget. No website or directory is going to change the economy and the fortunes of the country and Dukesy can't do that for you!. Just choose wisely - VERY Wisely on May 6th :D

Edited by McCardle

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

McCardle, your views are interesting!

I was with you for the first part of your response. I also accepted to a degree your take on the lack of responses to my post. I believed for a while that you were engaging in the debate in order to build on the suggestion made. I sensed and understood what appeared to be a frustration over the apathy or lack of acumen from fellow DJ's (which could have been justified as a passion for your trade) but then...

....I reached the end of your post and felt that, despite all your strong comments, that you ended up in the same place as everyone else. I see no difference in the "I can't be bothered" argument with the "It's not worth doing because...." option.

I don't accept for one minute the argument that says don't enrol as a DJ on a trade search engine because you will get loads of other DJ's there too. As a small player with a small budget (compared to the big companies) you are far more likely to get noticed on a good search engine than the rubbish that's out there right now. I have to disagree over UK-Disco, it looks like a teenager put it together in his back bedroom (but we are all entitled to our opinions over design). It also didn't appear on my Google search today until half way down page 2.

I still believe that there is an opportunity for someone to come up with a quality website to market UK DJ's. If I had the web design skills I would be the first in line.

You are right in saying that this forum probably serves a narrow band of light, DJ related, topics and that issues such as DJ search engines are not one of them. I also respect the fact that Dukesy can't do it all by himself. I'm quite recent to this forum so I guess I missed earlier attempts when maybe there were more participants with more fire in their bellies than there are now.

I would however, McCardle, try not to be so quick with the water bucket and actually maybe celebrate the fact that one or two people on here are trying to up the game.

:amen:

I agree with some of the points raised.

Q. How many Mobile DJ's are there in the UK?

Q. X amount would be on page 1 who would be the seat for choosing who would be at the top of the list?

Ok there are websites for different traders within a given area with references from customer that have used the service provided and have sat down to write a reference for that trader. The traders work is also checked independently. How would you check our service out after the event?

If our Industry was regulated what regulations should be put in force? How would they be enforced etc.

Sorry going a little OT.

We all would like to be on Page 1 of Google have you ever thought of having a sponsored link on Google ?

Each click would cost you though would the cost outweigh the profit we need some input from someone who has got a link to access the actual return on the outlay.

IMO I would like to see some sort of alliance / membership scheme to assist our profession nationally but who would like and would have the time to take up the challenge ?

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Very intersesting reading. McCardle doesn't post that much and when he does you have some reading to do. Yes the market is saturated with directory after directory all fighting for page 1, and the majority are free hence the number of subscribers. However its not all about hitting page 1 with a directory, as far as i know the more directroies you have a listing with, with a link to you, the better the seo for your own site.

We shouldnt be relying 100% on internet bookings and be building a relationship with local hotels bars etc to get work. I still say a personal recomendation, word and mouth is the best and formost form of advertising.

Saying that the industry is extremely competitive with every tom dick and harry buying a load of cheap gear and buying up a load of cd's from ebay, hence our need to take advantage of internet advertising. Im not saying they are operating in any way illegally, they are just benefiting from reasonable quality cheap modern equipment and are happy to earn a few quid for an enjoyable night out. The fact he is charging £60 or £260 is irrelevant he is still a competitor fighting for bookings and as said before in numerous posts it s up to us to sell ourselves on our merits, not pieces of paper.

In an ideal world a little directory exclusively for the 150 or so DJ@ members that is well written and hits google page 1 everytime would be very nice especially considering the recent where is your home turf thread (2 dj's in Yorkshire and Humber - yes please) but why should somebody go to all that effort to spoon feed us.

2010 for me is fine so far - i have upped my rates and have lost a few cheap gigs (school discos, local welfare centre). However i am finding that my gross income is the same with lower overheads as im not going out as much.

Sadly we are in a non essential industry and the only one to blame if things go wrong for us is....us....we chose this career. every industry is suffering in one way or another, not directly from issues within their market but a knock on effect from other areas and it all spiras down to the leisure and entertainment industry - ref the recent thread on lame gigs!

Dont rely on 6th May to make everything better btw

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I reached the end of your post and felt that, despite all your strong comments, that you ended up in the same place as everyone else. I see no difference in the "I can't be bothered" argument with the "It's not worth doing because...." option.

No, i think there is a difference.

Can't be bothered, means that you opt to do nothing to TRY and better your own situation rather than being reliant on everybody else doing it for you or always expecting a free lunch or somebody else to make life easier for you. It means that if work is slack, instead of working 4 hours a day you start working 8. It means watching Sky or playing on the internet instead of going around the hotels and pubs speaking to a manager or landlord introducing yourself, bigging up your business, dropping in some well written and produced promotional material and seeing if they will give you a fair go at their Karaoke nights or function room bookings. If you don't ask you don't get!. Or rather if you don't ask you'll never know!. It means sitting back twiddling thumbs and getting bored waiting for the phone to ring, rather than grabbing a spade and digging yourself out of a rut, and doing something productive to MAKE the phone ring.

Yes, there is a recession on, yes people are waiting for a while and putting off getting married to see what happens to the economy next year, or more lately, who gets in on May 6th and what happens next. The market and industry is stagnant and we are in a stalemate situation, but there are some bookings out there, it just means we have to work twice or three times as hard to get them and win them away from the competition. Far too many Dj's just sit back, being brainwashed by the media talking about recession and just give up and turn on the telly. Its far easier to do this and just blame Sixty Quid Sid or the Economy for lack of work, but have WE truely done all WE can as individuals to market ourselves, promote our businesses and earn a few more £££.

"Not worth doing", is another kettle of fish. It may indicate experience, prior knowledge or some research into the subject. It may mean that whilst others were brewing up or watching sky, somebody else was out trying various methods of promotion and that person is now sharing their findings, even if it was in a different industry or whilst running a different business. Believe it or not there is life before and after being a DJ :D .

as far as i know the more directroies you have a listing with, with a link to you, the better the seo for your own site.

I heard the same thing. So where does that leave a site like Dukesy's?. You do need lots of links linking back to you in order to fire up the SEO burners, yet Dukesy can't get those links and can't ever have the opportunity to better the ranking of his site because the DJ's will largely refuse to link to him because of fear of sending traffic to a listing of their competitors!. So its over before it began for his directory then as far as SEO is concerned, because link building with Dj's is obviously out - how and from where is Google supposed to find him and where is this top google position supposed to come from?, as far as I know, other than through adwords, it cannot be bought. :wacko:

So who is going to help Dukesy with SEO on his fledging Directory site then?. Who is going to be the first to break bread and proudly link to his directory site?. Who can Dukesy rely on to promote and link build back to his website now he's spent the time and effort building it and is spending his own money hosting it?. Who is going to return the time, favour and goodwill that he has offered to the DJ's. Certainly NOT the DJ's it was built for it seems, he can't rely on them!, yet they are very quick to put in a request to him with their own request lists.

Edited by McCardle

I have a link to my own listing on my links page to.. which mobile disco? , I feel i wrote within the framework of what was allowable a reasonable listing.

I currently have more work than i need due to activities mentioned above i.e. going seeing people and promoting myself that way. My site brings in enough work for me at the moment to deal with.

Yes business for you function only guys and girls is slow but from a personality, karaoke, chart music DJ i have never been busier..but that does not mean i rest on what i have got and my first dip of my toe in a web site has been very successful for me considering my outlay which is mainly just my own time and learning from really kind and helpful people.

My next site will be much better but i am still very happy with my current one and its google ranking.

Which [Edit]... already exists thanks to Dukesy, it needs more links ..(I couldn't find a banner link.... so i made one) from members posting listings and better content all from the DJ's themselves ..thats what you were initially after isn't it Teez?

I know next to nothing about SEO but if Dukesy is up for it and only if I am willing to offer of contacting everyone on which mobile disco? and asking them would they like help in improving there listing and help with putting links on there website to the directory etc also i would need help from others with so much more knowledge of such things...

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I heard the same thing. So where does that leave a site like Dukesy's?. You do need lots of links linking back to you in order to fire up the SEO burners, yet Dukesy can't get those links and can't ever have the opportunity to better the ranking of his site because the DJ's will largely refuse to link to him because of fear of sending traffic to a listing of their competitors!. So its over before it began for his directory then as far as SEO is concerned, because link building with Dj's is obviously out - how and from where is Google supposed to find him and where is this top google position supposed to come from?, as far as I know, other than through adwords, it cannot be bought. :wacko:

So who is going to help Dukesy with SEO on his fledging Directory site then?. Who is going to be the first to break bread and proudly link to his directory site?. Who can Dukesy rely on to promote and link build back to his website now he's spent the time and effort building it and is spending his own money hosting it?. Who is going to return the time, favour and goodwill that he has offered to the DJ's. Certainly NOT the DJ's it was built for it seems, he can't rely on them!, yet they are very quick to put in a request to him with their own request lists.

You do seem to be speaking on behalf of Dukesy a lot ..you guys must be good close friends to know so much about requests etc from DJ's ..your not Dukesy's alter ego are you? :funjokeandlaugh: only Joking .

but seriously i am willing to help where i can on this , i have limited talents but am willing to put effort in and time.. The offer is genuine ..don't know how much help i can be but the offer is there but as i am busy working till Monday i will give Dukesy a call Monday sometime for a chat to see where or if i can help or if my help is wanted.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

For starters it might be a good idea to put a prominent link on the DJAssociates website and also on this forum.

Also, I don't know why but I've been unable to upload an image or edit the details.

For starters it might be a good idea to put a prominent link on the DJAssociates website and also on this forum

If you take a look at the portal page, you'll see a link to the 'Which Mobile Disco' site and also another site which I inherited when I bought ownership of the forum - http://www.uk-mobile-disco.co.uk

There are also banners to both sites which appear randomly in the banner rotator at the bottom of the forum. The banner for the Which Mobile Disco site which we are discussing here also contains an RSS feed which updates to show the latest 5 or so listings which have been added to the site. There are also active links on forum discussions - there is no mileage in spamming even more links from the same site.

If you log out of the forum and view the index (portal) page, you will see a yellow bar at the top of the page which invites guest visitors to the forum to click on it if they are looking for a mobile disco. Clicking on it takes them to the UK Mobile Disco site. This means that if any guest should accidentally stumble across the forum during a search for a Mobile Disco then they will be directed to a site which lists mobile discos and gives the 500+ mobile discos listed on there the opportunity to quote.

It has to be said that out of the 500 mobile disco's listed on the UK Mobile Disco site, only about 30 of them bother to play fair and put up the return link banner which is obligatory. However, I don't have the time to check every single listing and website to make sure that the site banner is in place, however if you are volunteering for such a task then don't hesitate to send me a P.M.

Most of my time is spent between moderating the forum and running DJ@. Running DJ@ alone takes out about 3 - 4 hours of free time out of my day, including weekends and its not been unknown for a new member to sign up at 1AM on a Sunday morning, pay their membership and have their membership and PLI details by 1.30AM the same day!

You would be surprised how many professional Dj's are in a mad panic on a Saturday Afternoon because they have just found out that they need PLI for their Saturday evening gig - in 3 or 4 hours time. I can't be around helping them, AND building websites. I do have a life and a family and I think that the 21 - 28+ hours every week that I VOLUNTEER towards helping and advising other DJ's is enough thank you. As Josh says, that's well beyond the time that most DJ's spend helping themselves, let alone their colleagues.

At the moment, running DJ@ takes the greater precedent. However I won't be adding external links to individual DJ sites / directories from DJ@ purely because DJ's may want to use our pli Validator link on their own websites in order to offer a real time check of their pli status to clients and venues, and if they feel that they are linking directly to a site which contains details of their competitors then they may not use this valuable and useful resource!

However, since there seems to be a genuine interest shown by some into building this site, how about I give you the hosting and webspace free of charge and you build something? All you need to do is to pay £6 for a .co.uk domain for 2 years and let me know what the domain name is, and I'll set up the space and PM you the control panel log-in details within the next 48 hours? Can't say fairer than that can you?

I'm offering you the opportunity to put this idea into practice at my personal expense (not DJ@'s)

All you need to do now is accept. smile icon

On a technical level, the easiest way to provide this is to use an off-the-shelf script. I've have previously used;

http://www.phplinkdirectory.com

Price is $30 (with their link at the footer of each page) or $80 (with no linking/branding)

Its possible to have featured links, and automated checks for reciprocal linking (if this was a condition of joining).

Unfortunately, I'm of the same view as Josh.

Last year, the forum had a "blatant advertising" area for a short time. Some DJ's did enter their details, but many others did not bother.

Some that did, also copied the text for their website rather than take the advice of creating fresh content.

Unfortunately, the creation of content is not easy and let be honest - we'd prefer to be playing tunes than spending a few hours at the keyboard!

For this to work well, the descriptions need to be original, well written and not something created in 5mins.

Guides for "picking the perfect DJ" should be created. DJ@ has a few guides that could be suitable;

http://www.djassociates.org/dj%20associati...20Reception.pdf

http://www.djassociates.org/dj%20associati...0Or%20Party.pdf

Documents of this type could be used to emphasis the importance of speaking to the DJ, and how they need to compare like-for-like - ie not just on price.

The sections should also be divided into locations.

Possibly by Country, and ideally with some information on venues in that county. This would require the assistance of DJ's in that area to produce some content for the greater good.

As you may see, this is not a quick project and would require the effort of DJ's here.

So:

-It will cost money. Coding something like this from scratch is not an option (timescales and cost)

-There will need to be an admin team - elected or other.

-Effort needed to create content for each area

-Effort needed to ensure DJ's submitted content is of high standard (ie not one line, or directly taken off their site)

-If fees are taken, some kind of breakdown of costs. If I'm paying £xx/year, I'd want to be sure its not going on flights (ahem!) or stands at DJ Shows, and is used correctly for the benefit of the directory.

-I couldn't recommend google adwords, a generic term "mobile dj" would not suit everyone here, and also would be expensive. Targeting regions would help, but would quickly burn money. Smarter advertising free or more targetted- Facebook, Wedding DJ sites (bearing in mind we're not all wedding DJs!), links in forums (if allowed), could all be considered.

Ultimately, these directories normally fail because there is too much choice. The clients see 100's of DJ's and pick a few from the first page.

I allowed my UKDisco subscription to lapse, as I didn't like the site (the look really was old), I had paid for Silver only to find myself tucked way down the list- it took me about 30secs to locate myself!

There was zero chance I would get any work from clients clicking on my link to view my details.

Anyway... thats my take!

I'd be happy to help with the config of PHPLD or anything technical (not graphical thou!). I would suggest we consider what effort would be required, and perhaps run a poll in a few days?

Count me in............. in whatever way I can assist and help!

I'll read the full thread in a few mins but wanted to let you all know I'm willing and ready to assist :)

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

:!: :!: :!: Perhaps an idea.....

Ok guys and girls, after doing a lot of thinking and research........ the current disco market is saturated with disco listing sites!

Now, unfortunately we don't have the power to merge them together and I think by us adding one more listing site into the mix we wont help ourselves that much... we'll simply get lost within the group.

HOWEVER! And here is the idea........... an online video seminar...... hosted by some of us!

As teez and a few others have said, there are quite a few of us on here with Web Design and SEO knowledge.

Perhaps a few of us in the know get together online... I would suggest via something like skype so it's free and verbal .... pool our knowledge together and perhaps put together an online seminar, ESPECIALLY for the DJU forum members.

By using video conferencing software like MSN or Skype, we could really get something together and broadcast it live one evening .... so that way we can have a live Q&A section at the end....

I will start a new thread with more information for anyone who is interested in helping with this online seminar....

(Edit : And I just realised the time.... so I'll post again tomorrow when I get up :) hehehe )

Edited by AlexEntertainment

Alex,

Good idea, I just think you would be making an immense rod for your own back here. Trying to get get people to view a live event....

Let me develop your idea in a different direction...

How about a website that is a mozaic made entirely of thumbnail sized Youtube type video clips from each of the DJ's? Click on the thumbnail and it expands to normal sized Youtube screen (but doesn't divert to Youtube)

It could be laid out geographically and the client clicks on the thumbnails nearest to their location.

Each clip would have to meet a very strict script and last say 3 mins each max. Someone would have to vet it as the whole point would be that all the clips would be standardised.

Having a website full of mini clips would be a radically different format and would definitely grab the attention of potential customers in a sea of :crap: DJ search websites.

The strict format could be established by creating a standard storyboard for each of the DJ's to follow. For example:

1. Text headline with name of DJ, location and specialities

2. Shot of the lead DJ at his equipment introducing himself

3. Commentary and view of mixing equipment

4. Quick shot of the lights

5. Pan out to people dancing and having a good time (or singing karaoke.... and not having a good time lol)

6. Closing text with contact details, website address with link option

7. A good tune playing in the background

No advertising or rubbish waffle etc on the main/home page. That can always be buried on another page.

No preferential treatment for DJ's that will travel further or have bigger rigs, just purely down to location. A client can always click on all of them and pick someone from out of town but that would be their choice.

I have lots more thoughts on it but will stop there for now

Pan out to people dancing and having a good time

I don't have one of these, and probably no way to ever get one.. Can I borrow a clip off someone? :lol2:

This idea may work for those with video cams, firewire cables+hardware, and ability to edit video (obviously the basic software is free) Most camera phones would do the job - albeit at really bad quality in low light.

After seeing some DJ mug shots, I don't think this would be a good advert... Perhaps for the techies with someone able to shoot video of them working- but thats not many.

Technically, it would be easy. I've coded a Video gallery for one of my clients on their site. Its basically a grid of YouTube windows, with the details pulled off a database. Adding a postcode (for google maps integration) is not difficult. (I've also done some basic google maps integration in the past).

I suspect it would end with 4 or 5 videos. :( I've love the be proved wrong though!

If many DJ's are too lazy to enter decent text on a directory website, I doubt many would spend an evening editing and uploading a video.

I'm still keen on a good directory site, and a facility to add youtube video would stand out..

Jas

If many DJ's are too lazy to enter decent text on a directory website, I doubt many would spend an evening editing and uploading a video.

or dont want to go out and spend a load of money on a digital video recorder etc etc and have the time to setup and become cameraman as well as dj,roadie etc etc. Its hard enough getting a decent picture some nights and i shoot like a paparazi

I'm still keen on a good directory site, and a facility to add youtube video would stand out..

Jas

Like alex said it would need to be very special to stand out from the crowd, with or without video content.I can see where teez is coming from with the inclusion of video content, it could be a fantastic advertising tool, but people need to be directed to the site in the first place - could it be done.

If the directory was sucessfull would that mean everybody would want to join, would it be exclusive to DJ@ members. If nothing else we would all benefit from additional DJ@ members as the benefits would certainly increase and as the membership grows the Dj@ would have a stronger voice.

IMO opinion the uk disco site would take some beating when it comes to ranking but the said site is full to the brim with service providers and site navigation is not the best.

Possibly a basic directory to start with then see how it goes.

As for DJ@, if the directory is to be affiliated with the association there needs to be some serious discussion to sort out some issues.

Im lost on the seminar idea Alex, please could you expand on that when you get chance.

Dave

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

or dont want to go out and spend a load of money on a digital video recorder etc etc and have the time to setup and become cameraman as well as dj,roadie etc etc. Its hard enough getting a decent picture some nights and i shoot like a paparazi

Like alex said it would need to be very special to stand out from the crowd, with or without video content.I can see where teez is coming from with the inclusion of video content, it could be a fantastic advertising tool, but people need to be directed to the site in the first place - could it be done.

If the directory was sucessfull would that mean everybody would want to join, would it be exclusive to DJ@ members. If nothing else we would all benefit from additional DJ@ members as the benefits would certainly increase and as the membership grows the Dj@ would have a stronger voice.

IMO opinion the uk disco site would take some beating when it comes to ranking but the said site is full to the brim with service providers and site navigation is not the best.

Possibly a basic directory to start with then see how it goes.

As for DJ@, if the directory is to be affiliated with the association there needs to be some serious discussion to sort out some issues.

Im lost on the seminar idea Alex, please could you expand on that when you get chance.

Dave

With you on the technicalities of a Video production. I have the kit+software tools to do this, but know most would struggle, and to be honest, its a pain to do video when you're working.

Thinking aloud re: Directory.

UK Disco has the rankings, but there is no decent content - DJ's have a paragraph for their "blurb", but no gallery, no video, not easy to search, and also on a high level, you'll see a big list of single line entries - no one is gonna click on those that are on the free or even silver listings.

Regarding affiliations, this is a bit of dodgy ground. A directory would be client facing, not DJ facing!

Clients don't really want to bogged down with Forums/Associations.

An admin area for DJ's to edit/tweak their listings COULD have a resources section - detailing DJ@, SEDA, NADJ etc. If the directory was just for DJU members ignoring other online resources would restrict growth.

This thread has been viewed over 400 times, but only a few contributors, I'm sure most of the posters are responsible for most of the views lol.

So - unless the other forums could allow discussions/link to the directory, grown would be severely limited in the short term.

I'd be keener to see a better way of filtering down to the right DJ, so a means to let the system know what type of DJ you are (Club/Bar, Wedding Specialist, Party, Karaoke etc).

I'm not sure if I want to spare the effort, but after looking at UK-Disco again (I let my Silver subscription lapse), its pretty nasty to use and does very little to actually promote the DJs.

From what I remember, you could get 3rd party enquries - where a client can allow other DJ's to also quote on their gig (as well as their selected DJ).

This ends up a bit "goodparty" with a DJ's competing probably on price.

Allowing the DJ to provide much more information on the page, and filter by this content (so, clients can opt to view only DJ's with video etc).

Obviously embracing YouTube, Facebook (groups), Twitter, Flickr etc is fairly easy on a technical level, and providing a client with as much information as possible should help them narrow down their choice.

If we wanted to book a Curry House (for our meet-up) and had a "UK-Curry" site in the same format, I'm very sure the end choice would be a stab in the dark... There is too much choice and no easy way to filter it down.

I would not really want a premium paid-for service to push other listings away - perhaps allow more features that are visible on the profile page.

There should not be a different on the top-level listing from DJ's who have deep pockets, it doesn't make them a better provider...

I have been thinking about this for a while - but other projects, and being unsure how to structure it keeps it on the back-burner.

So, it would be easy to compete with UK-Disco on Content (if DJ's could be bothered..). Their ranking really comes from being an established site and with many DJ's linking to it. Not trivial to compete with on those points.

The actual site itself is not very SEO friendly, the layout is old (underlying code) and the actual DJ blurb (original content) is way down the page.

Anyway...its late - and I guess if you look at the other directories from a clients perspective, you'll see why I think UK-Disco doesn't work.

Actually, the new kid on the block "FindMyParty" is a lot closer to what I mean. Lots of chances to sell yourself, and a few pictures. Its currently not that crowded, but I can already see 14 DJ's within 20 miles of me.

Shame the layout is also not that SEO friendly... AND HTML4.0.?!?! Its not 1997!

Also video and facebook group links would be good, and thoughts about better filtering (which isn't needed at the moment)

Jason

Oh yes i fully agree with you on not just uk disco but the other simular sites. There is one directory where i cant even edit my details. They are ugly hard to work sites and the paid advertising is in its abundance so no more beneficial.

a well presented user friendly site with the potential for extra advertising medium would go a long way. As you say clients are not bothered about DJ@ and forums etc but advertising the association would be good.

Tis late, to be continued another day

Just a few more thoughts. Vokf I agree with what you are saying.

It doesn't actually matter how many DJ's are on the website, it's all about getting the site to the top of the search lists. That's where the skill is.

I do strongly believe that only forum members should qualify. After all, it's not that hard to become a member and it brings more traffic here.

If the website is always at the top of thelist I can assure you DJ's would find the means and wherewithal to make their videos. I'm not fighting strongly for my earlier proposal but I do know that we all have experience of these other websites and know as a group what the best bits are and what should be offered. That in itself is a powerful position to be in rather than currently a web designer producing what he thinks we want.

Just wanted to throw those in at this late hour.

Ok ... quick update for you....

I've create a very very quick prototype site... which I'm still working on.

It allows you to create a "Profile Listing"... so you basically create a profile page.

You are able to upload video, pictures... etc...

I'm currently working on a facebook integration module, but with no success due to template issues.

I also now own the site ... www.mobiledisconetwork.co.uk... as it was the only thing I could find close to mobiledisco... (I've started caling it MDN in my head LOL.. cos I'm lazy)

My thought is each town will have a folder assigned to it,

so it would show in the address bar

network.co.uk/portsmouth

network.co.uk/london

network.co.uk/huddersfield

network.co.uk/....

You get the drift....

Give me one or two more "all nighters" and I'll have cracked it :)

Quick question...........

What colours shall we do the site in? Just so I can create a good looking template!

Please choose 3 colours!!

Quick question...........

What colours shall we do the site in? Just so I can create a good looking template!

Please choose 3 colours!!

Not a dark background!

Other than that - I'm easy.. so they say!

I'm a little interested in how you're doing this so quickly. To do it properly will need a database, secure admin area for site owner/admin staff, admin area for DJs.

Also, the "folders" for towns should really be database generated, with Apaches mod-rewrite providing the nice names from a "nasty" url like www.mobiledisconetwork.co.uk?townID=133

Features I'd like would be;

Profile Page

-Gallery, allowing DJ to upload a selection of photos with captions.

-Logo upload

-YouTube embedded video(s)

-Fackbook link to their group

-Basic RTE for description (no linking allowed,basic editor only), I actually like how "findmyparty" is almost prompting the DJ to provide lots of information - so possibly multiple text boxes.

-Meta Tag fields for page title/desc/keywords, use of DJ name/area if not supplied.

-Fields for services offered- tickbox/radio box. This will allow easy filtering, text fields are bad for this.

-If you really think Town based loction is the way to go, then allow DJ's to pick a small selection of surrounding towns (drop-down type selection, not free text entry)

-Facebook "add" link.

-SEO urls, so www.mobiledisconetwork.co.uk/hertfordshire/dancesoundsdisco or even www.mobiledisconetwork.co.uk/hertfordshire/my-text-here-122 (ie, allow free entry text, with database ID present in URL)

Browse/Filtering

-Filter by services offered. If you need a Karaoke DJ, you should be able to remove the non-Karaoke guys and so on.

-A mini-profile per DJ, none of this single line listings. It makes it too intimidating to use. Users should be able to know a little about the DJ before they click to view their profile.

-Guides for selecting a DJ.

-Contact page for each DJ, possibly include fields for quoting (dates/times/venue/type of party/service required) User is emailed "thank you" with link to Resources for Selecting a DJ.

-text search on DJ name

-Ideally, blurb on each town.

Admin area for DJ's

-Links to Retailers/Services (advertising)

-Invite all associations to provide details. So pages for DJ@, SEDA, NADJ and any others.

-Invite forums to provide details, as above.

-Edit and preview profile

-View basic stats (views on profile)

I assume you're using Joomla or similar and can/have modified the code?

Thats me anyway! For anything to work, it has to be client focused, easy to filter and also fairly independent of affiliations.

If it was a SEDA affilated site, then non-SEDA members would feel a bit out of place and so on.

End users should also not be exposed to this stuff, but perhaps a field on the DJ profile for Association membership, with link to Association blurb (if they provide it!)

Jas