Dj's United

Speaker Set Up And Advice

I may be about to make myself look pretty stupid asking a question like this but here goes. I have a pair of ac euro mid range speakers running off a warrior 600 watt amp. Superb, no problem. I also have a pair of 300 watt behringer bass bins running off a kam kxr1500 amp. The speakers are 4 ohm hence the big amp. What I cannot understand is that the bass bins do not seem to do much. Now here's the possibly stupid bit. The 600 watt amp is turned right up and I control the volume from the mixer. The big amp is turned up to just over half, because I do not want to blow the speakers up when the volume goes up later on in the night. Should I turn it right up? Do I need another bit of equipment other than 4 soles two amps and a mixer? Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Bob

All stuck together with the finest DJ glue.

Ladiees an gennelmennn....the buffet is now open.

Aha! That was the reply I was hoping for! My mixer does have a sub output, I will try it. I was hoping for good punchy bass but that has never been the case. The mixer has a single Xlr socket sub woofer output. How do I connect this to the kxr's twin xlr inputs? Is there such a thing as as a one into two xlr lead?

Many thanks,

Bob

you can get a xlr splitter from the likes of www.cpc.co.uk. i would try running 1 sub to see how it sounds and if its not that great, pick up a crossover.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Thanks for those answers, think I have Sussex it now, and why i did not do this before is beyond me! The mixer is a behringer vmx1000 and it does indeed have a dedicated subwoofer output. Silly thing is, there is only xlr output as imentioned before, so am thinking I will try a tenners worth of 2 into 1 xlr splitter cable first and take it from there.

Bob

Thanks for those answers, think I have Sussex it now, and why i did not do this before is beyond me! The mixer is a behringer vmx1000 and it does indeed have a dedicated subwoofer output. Silly thing is, there is only xlr output as imentioned before, so am thinking I will try a tenners worth of 2 into 1 xlr splitter cable first and take it from there.

Bob

Anybody wondering what sussex is, its supposed to say sussed but my iphone auto suggests words and i keep forgetting to check. doh.

you may want to adjust the sub output crossover setting on the underside of the vmx1000

this will give you a bit more grunt or tightness if required !!!

Ok, thanks for that, i did notice the level and frequency knob next to the subwoofer output xlr socket on the VMX. Will have a mess about with these. Am hoping that my freshly ordered xlr leads turn up tomorrow so i can test it. Will put a post up with the results for other peoples benefit.

Thanks again.

Bob

Ok, i said i would let you all know how it went. Bought a single XLR female to twin XLR male splitter 6 mtr long lead. The single xlr plugs into the single sub woofer output on the mixer, the two males plug in to the KXR amp.

I then connected the main XLR outputs from the mixer to the inputs of the warrior amp. Again using 6mtr long cables. (the reason for long cables is so i can have the flight case with the two amps in somewhere other than the deckstand if i want.)

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the subs now work properly,(the bass is quite frankly stomach churning should i adjust it to be so!) The AC Euro mid range cabs provide the mids and top frequencies excellently and overall i have ended up with a much better sounding PA. Played a couple of Dance tunes that were requested last night at the wedding party i did, and one track in particular "Let me think about" Ida Corr and Fedde le Grand, sounded excellent, proper punchy floor shaking clean bass without sounding Muddy.

Thanks to all for your help. If anybody wants their front room windows blowing out, i'm your man!!!!!!!!!!!

:thanks: