Dj's United

Hi guys,

Over the last 3 months I have put together what I think is a pretty comprehensive collection of music - about 300 CD's covering everything I can think may be requested. I have arranged them in a Slappa case, so everything is easily accesible and doesnt take up too much room.

Of course, all of my music is original - no copies etc. However, I was thinking over the weekend that if someone grabbed my Slappa case and walked off with it, it would be a nightmare!

So, my quetsion is - if I were to make back-up copies of all of my discs and take them along when Im working (and leave the originals at home), is that ok or might I be accused of using illegally copied discs?

It will take some time to copy all of my discs but it might be better that the lot being stolen. My other possible solition is getting a chain and chainig the case to my stand to make it harder to walk off with.

What do you CD guys do - take originals, or keep them safe at home?

Cheers, Mark.

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

300 CDs @ £10ea = ~£3K outlay from new.

To replace (assuming most can be purchased from ebay) would be much less, and probably the same value as a good laptop.

(most ebay CDs are £1-£2ea)

So - sadly they are not that high value :( If there are some rare/hard to get CD's then this all changes.

It would take time to rebuild (as you're aware), but the cost would be £400-£700, terrible news, but could be rebuilt.

First step;

Pack them up first, place into bag/case and hide in your car, so last out of the car, first back, keeping them hidden when in the car.

This will limit the exposure to theft to toilet breaks only, or if they are reachable from behind/side of your set-up when your back is turned...

Second step;

Smaller Slappa cases?

If you spread them into 2 or 3 cases, you're spreading the risk of total loss. It may also make organising them easier.

Lastly;

Then, if you're still concerned, get equipment insurance. DJ@ members do get a discount from Hencilla, and its probably worth getting a quote.

Coping the CD's is an option (for private backup), but to actually use them will require a ProDub license are you're creating a copy.

Also consider the reaction of guests/clients if they only see copied CD's.

Jason

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice! I was hoping to avoid the pro-dub for the time being, although when I start using a laptop I suppose I will have to succombe to the £250+ charge.

The reaction of guests/venues seeing me using copied discs is more what I was worried about. I am trying to do everything 100% the right way, and dont want to give the impression I am dodgy!

I think I will follow Jasons advice on keeping the CD case out of sight where possible, and I think I willl go with a ligh duty chain or bycle lock to attach it to the table/deck stand just to make it harder to walk off with.

Thanks again,

Mark

07825 641 090

although when I start using a laptop I suppose I will have to succombe to the £250+ charge.

Mark

If you plan on using a laptop in the future why not rip all your cd's to a spare hard drive?

That way you have them ready for when you make the change to laptop and also have a backup which you could use to burn replacements if the original cd's did get nicked.

Of course you would then need pro-dub but you'd only to need to get it if/when you change to laptop or use backup copies.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

First step;

Pack them up first, place into bag/case and hide in your car, so last out of the car, first back, keeping them hidden when in the car.

I agree with nearly everything Jason said, but our discs are first out (into the venue... we assume a thief will pass you on the way out of the door,) and last in (because then when we say our goodbyes/get paid etc the discs are in our hands not unattended). Plus a thief would have to carry them out of the venue, rather than just grab them, throw them into their boot and drive off.

Realistically we are probably over protective of our discs, since it would be easier for a thief to obtain a pre-loaded hard drive and the re-sale value is so low, (Sadly our slappa cases are probably worth more :( ) but old habits die hard.

My karaoke disc case, can only be lifted with two hands on either side. Weight and size is an advantage.

None the less, I do have a spare karaoke disc set at home and since my DJ music is predominantly compliations, I have enough greatest hits of <enter artist here> to get by in a worse case senario.

Thanks guys,

Acrually, I do have most of my CD's ripped onto an external hard drive but I think they are only ripped at 160BPS, not 320, as this is what PCDJ suppported when I used to use it.

To be honest, over the next few months I am planning on ripping all of my CD's onto the new hard drive in 320BPS, ready for when I buy a new laptop etc later this year.

Ive been told Audio Grabber is a good way to do this, is this the best way?

Also, does anyone know how the file name needs to be arranged so the title/artist appear in teh right place on PCDJ?

Thanks again, Mark.

07825 641 090

It's worth searching previous posts for some of the answers to this.

I use EAC which takes a bit of setting up but has not let me down so far. Very flexible.

After processing them through Platinum Notes and then Mixed-in-Key, I then import all my tracks into iTunes and let the program sort the songs into their own sectors.

I've tried LOADS of other programs and can safely say that iTunes is the best (bear in mind none of my tracks are AAC, they have all be saved as MP3 or WAV). So in summary I use iTunes as my library only, not to replay or convert files.

Don't know about PCDJ but VDJ accesses itunes and more importantly the iTunes playlists as well as the invaluable Smart Playlist system (which need to be saved as a normal playlist before a gig)

If you're into backup I would also suggest the free Windows SyncToy which takes a while on the first run but is a foolproof way of ensuring you have a backup of your hard drive. It's worth it as I dropped my main hard drive on the floor when I packed up after a gig a few weeks ago.

Hmm, who said ripping was simple!

:joe: