Dj's United

How Do You Format Mp3 File Names For Pcdj?

Hi guys,

This is probably something really basic, but it is driving me mad!

Ive got an old laptop with PCDJ Pro (about 7 years old), and I was trying to add some more MP3's to my collection. Up until now, I have added tracks directly from disks using the built in rip function.

However, one of the CD's I was trying to rip had copy protection, so I saved it onto my non PCDJ laptop, converted the required files to MP3 and added them to my PCDJ laptop using a memory stick.

All of the existing files are saved in the format artist - title. So, I saved the newly added MP3's in exactly the same way, but they are coming up with both artist and title in both the artist and title column. For example, instead of RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - UNDER THE BRIDGE, it is showing as RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - UNDER THE BRIDGE RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS - UNDER THE BRIDGE.

That is probably not a very good explanation, but hopefully you understand what I mean.

I would have thought that as I formated the file name the same as the existing files, it would be displayed correctly, as the existing files are. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

I've had this problem and there probably is a simpler way but either

- You need to go in and edit every mp3 tag (You can bulk edit album details)

- There are some free downloads that will speed up the editing process

- Put your songs through an online database checker like freedb or if you use itunes as a library this is what I use

http://www.tuneupmedia.com/index.php

It works fine 95% of the time although sometimes it gets confused with album names (which for DJ'ing doesn't matter) and with mashes, again not a big disaster.

Hope that helps

:joe:

Hi Teez, thanks for that.

To be honest, there are only 3 MP3's I need to change, all of the others are ok. I can right click and rename, but Im not sure what to change them too as the format is already the same os the other MP3's that are displaying correctly.

Im confused, as "artist - title" is how all of the tracks are named, including the 3 new ones Ive added, but the name displays differently for some reason - wierd!

It is not vital, but I would like them to display correctly so I can search for them etc.

Did your problem affect all of your MP3's or just some of them?

Thanks again, Mark.

07825 641 090

Hi Teez, thanks for that.

To be honest, there are only 3 MP3's I need to change, all of the others are ok. I can right click and rename, but Im not sure what to change them too as the format is already the same os the other MP3's that are displaying correctly.

Im confused, as "artist - title" is how all of the tracks are named, including the 3 new ones Ive added, but the name displays differently for some reason - wierd!

It is not vital, but I would like them to display correctly so I can search for them etc.

Did your problem affect all of your MP3's or just some of them?

Thanks again, Mark.

Sorry if this is too obvious but right click on the file name (in the windows folder - assuming you are using windows) and one of the options will be 'Edit ID-Tag".

Select that and it will give you the correct fields for artist, album etc.

:joe:

Hi Teez,

I probably sound really stupid, but I didnt realise ID tag was different from file name!

I will try again when I get home.

Thanks again!

07825 641 090

Hi Teez,

I probably sound really stupid, but I didnt realise ID tag was different from file name!

I will try again when I get home.

Thanks again!

That's ok, the complication is that different bits of software behave differently. Some read the ID Tag and some don't. I've had the same problem as you and edited the ID Tag but the file name still shows up with the duplicate data. I've also had to right click onthe file name and rename it there too. On other software the same file has come up correctly. There's some trial and error involved in this as there is no clear simple solution.

:wall:

Hi Teez,

Just to let you know yoru suggestion worked - many thanks!

It seems that if the ID tag info was blank, then it defaulted to the actual file name - this is what was confusing, as when I changed the file name, it did change how it was presented on PCDJ, but both the artist and track name were in both fields.

Anyway, I will know for next time!

Thanks again, Mark.

07825 641 090