Dj's United

and test them for yourself at fortress Chris

Are you trying to say that i'm built like a fortress!!! http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif .

As regards the debate, yes it makes interesting reading, and should hopefully help anybody in the future, who joins and is having difficulty making decisions.

I will point out again, that the majority of my own posts give a personal opinion of a product rather than a view from a commission driven salesman, after all I distribute both models so it wouldn't make any difference to me which one you bought!.

Hopefully this thread will have helped a few people http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif

QUOTE (Chris_Pointon @ Jan 23 2004, 10:40 AM)

Are you trying to say that i'm built like a fortress!!!  http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/sterb188.gif .

i meant your shop mate, sorry i always forget the name lol

and Chris mate Christmas has gone it is starting to give me nightmares seeing the merry christmas thing *pushing his luck* http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/fear.gif

Edited by DJshaggy

If it aint got that Swing, it Dont mean a thing!!

I may get around to updating it...eventually http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/rolleyes.gif and removing the Christmas graphics...probably around PLASA 2004 http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/scared.gif , although it is still the Chinese new year http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/thumbup.gif.

QUOTE (DJTREV @ Jan 23 2004, 01:55 AM)

My only gripe with the Denon and for that matter cd players in general is the trays are prone to being knocked and damaged.Its ashame they dont all use the slot type.

Would you be surprised, if I told you that Denon has two solutions to this situation?

No? didnt think it would.

Firstly the Denon 9000 has a Preset menu, where among lots of other settings, you can set how long the drawers should stay open before auto~closing...I think the shortest time is 15seconds. This obviously reduces the time that the drawer is left in a "knockable" position.

Also, the user~replacable cd drives can be interchanged with the slot~in drive used on the 5000, and vice versa.

QUOTE (DJTREV @ Jan 23 2004, 01:55 AM)

My only gripe with the Denon and for that matter cd players in general is the trays are prone to being knocked and damaged.Its ashame they dont all use the slot type.

Would you be surprised, if I told you that Denon has two solutions to this situation?

No? didnt think it would.

Firstly the Denon 9000 has a Preset menu, where among lots of other settings, you can set how long the drawers should stay open before auto~closing...I think the shortest time is 15seconds. This obviously reduces the time that the drawer is left in a "knockable" position.

Also, the user~replacable cd drives can be interchanged with the slot~in drive used on the 5000, and vice versa.

So far my research has lead me two ways.

Denon offers excellent if not above board of features, the pros against Pioneer so

far against Pioneer is the replaceable slot drive, hell, its hell when a drive goes

down.

Alpha track selection is not well described, can you play whats still remaining of

the track thats busy being played as Im seeing things like 35 seconds but seems

to refer to after a disc is ejected, 35 sec, umm not a plus.

The mirror mix is a bonus and a great fun feature to have and all done from the

same cd, now thats way cool.

So it still looks like DENON (note the upper case typing) compared to Pioneer.......

But I'vr yet to hear details from members saying that they enjoy and USE the

features of the DENON, sure I've read some great reviews from yo guys but have

failed to say if you use any of the DENON features, Im curious nad need to know.

Gary said he had both and that the drives were interchangeable on the 9000 and

5000's, any other features you've tried and can 'Feed' me with would be great but

only if you've used them as Im quite familiar with the features of both DENON

and Pioneer.

As Chris mentioned he has had complaints, sure its like buying a Rolls Royce and

braking down a mile after you just bought the bloody thing (no I dont own a Roller)

QUOTE (chrismk @ Jan 24 2004, 01:47 AM)
Alpha track selection is not well described, can you play whats still remaining of

Aha! (didnt they sing "take on me"?)

OK, with soooo many features, its easy to get one or two mixed up with each other. Notably, "Hot Disc" and Alpha Track.

Alpha track has no time limits on it at all. For example: You can cue up an instrumental on the main track, then cue up the accappella track (both tracks on the same CD of course), hit both the PLAY buttons, and BOTH will play all the way through, regardless of the lengths of the tracks. You can of course add seamless loops of any length to either the Alpha track, or the Main track, or both; adjust the pitch(speed) of either track independantly, apply the brake, and echo effects to either track..etc..etc.. Alpha track really is like having two copies of every CD in your collection.

Hot Disc, is the feature where you can eject the whole CD while a track is still playing. "on paper" there is a 35 second maximum, however, theres nothing stopping you from applying a seamless loop either before, during, or after ejecting the disc, thus giving you an endless amount of time to load the next CD and cue it.

I can quite honestly say that I've used each and every single feature that the Denon DN-S5000 offers, and indeed use them regularly (several times a night normally) in the course of my mobile work, which is pretty varied with Corporate dinner dances, weddings, birthday bashes, and of course the dozens of Christmas party nights... The only feature which I dont "need" to use all that often is Hotdisc, as I have several CD-decks to mix into, rather than just the one or two.

As for examples of how the features are used in REAL mobile situations, have a read of my review of the DN-D9000 on the forum. Even though that unit is a 19inch rack mount dual cd-deck, it has nearly all the same features as the tabletop DN-S5000, and the examples that I gave in the review were "from the heart" of real, practical, mobile DJ'ing.

Features? If you've got'em, use'em - especially if it adds value to the audiences entertainment level, or makes your life easier. Im obviously not saying that a show wont run smoothly without these features; these are simply ways of adding a little something extra to a show if you're the sort of person (and you seem like it) who's keen to apply them. Its like using props in a way...blow up guitars to play along to Status Quo, or an Elvis wig during "blue suede shoes", or a string vest-mini dumbbells; a dodgy 70's moustache and a leather bikers cap for YMCA!...if used effectively, at the right times, they can push a 100% enjoyable gig, that little bit further, and help things run a little smoother.

If you read the DN-D9000 review (of the identical features) and would still like more info, by all means, just ask. And no, I'm not on commission either http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Gary @ Jan 24 2004, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (chrismk @ Jan 24 2004, 01:47 AM)

Aha! (didnt they sing "take on me"?)

OK, with soooo many features, its easy to get one or two mixed up with each other. Notably, "Hot Disc" and Alpha Track.

Alpha track has no time limits on it at all. For example: You can cue up an instrumental on the main track, then cue up the accappella track (both tracks on the same CD of course), hit both the PLAY buttons, and BOTH will play all the way through, regardless of the lengths of the tracks. You can of course add seamless loops of any length to either the Alpha track, or the Main track, or both; adjust the pitch(speed) of either track independantly, apply the brake, and echo effects to either track..etc..etc.. Alpha track really is like having two copies of every CD in your collection.

Hot Disc, is the feature where you can eject the whole CD while a track is still playing. "on paper" there is a 35 second maximum, however, theres nothing stopping you from applying a seamless loop either before, during, or after ejecting the disc, thus giving you an endless amount of time to load the next CD and cue it.

I can quite honestly say that I've used each and every single feature that the Denon DN-S5000 offers, and indeed use them regularly (several times a night normally) in the course of my mobile work, which is pretty varied with Corporate dinner dances, weddings, birthday bashes, and of course the dozens of Christmas party nights... The only feature which I dont "need" to use all that often is Hotdisc, as I have several CD-decks to mix into, rather than just the one or two.

As for examples of how the features are used in REAL mobile situations, have a read of my review of the DN-D9000 on the forum. Even though that unit is a 19inch rack mount dual cd-deck, it has nearly all the same features as the tabletop DN-S5000, and the examples that I gave in the review were "from the heart" of real, practical, mobile DJ'ing.

Features? If you've got'em, use'em - especially if it adds value to the audiences entertainment level, or makes your life easier. Im obviously not saying that a show wont run smoothly without these features; these are simply ways of adding a little something extra to a show if you're the sort of person (and you seem like it) who's keen to apply them. Its like using props in a way...blow up guitars to play along to Status Quo, or an Elvis wig during "blue suede shoes", or a string vest-mini dumbbells; a dodgy 70's moustache and a leather bikers cap for YMCA!...if used effectively, at the right times, they can push a 100% enjoyable gig, that little bit further, and help things run a little smoother.

If you read the DN-D9000 review (of the identical features) and would still like more info, by all means, just ask. And no, I'm not on commission either http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/014.gif http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Iike the idea as described below from 'Gary', being able to loop with the disc

ejected is a nice feature

Gary said, ok, typed.

Hot Disc, is the feature where you can eject the whole CD while a track is still playing. "on paper" there is a 35 second maximum, however, theres nothing stopping you from applying a seamless loop either before, during, or after ejecting the disc, thus giving you an endless amount of time to load the next CD and cue it

thanks for encouraging replie so far, absolutely marvelous.

fair dues

i have 3 dn-s5000's and a dn-m2300r (only 2s5000's are on the road though) and have had no problems (touch wood) my m2300r has served me well and will continue to do so for a long time!

Paul ''king''

Denon D.J. for life