Dj's United

i really cant see any difference im afraid, like the electorate. the monster loonies would have been our best bet.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

So which party would be best in Government for the DJ industry??

None of them. If such a thing existed or was remotely favoured, there would be one DJ association because all DJ's would be a member of it now - voluntarily and without being lured to it by offers of cheap pli - which (lets be 100% honest and transparant here) is the main / only reason why a LOT of DJ's have joined an association :D .

In essence the only association which can gauge the loyalty and support of its membership, is the one who has tempted members into its fold, purely through promoting its ethics and not offering incentives :D

Inevitably, those who have joined just for the cheap pli, will not give a flying damn about the politics. They have their PLI certificate, so they can do that 'gig next saturday' and thats where their interest ends.

This is also bearing in mind that only a minority of working DJ's in the UK are a member of ANY association in any case, so its wrong to say that any one of those associations represent or have attained any majority support within the industry in general.

All I can see, is an increasing number of Associations, all fighting over dwindling numbers of members, and each time another one appears, the number of those DJ's requiring an association membership for the following year, is diluted as a result!. A bit like when we used to choose our football teams at school. Nobody wanted to be the last one to be picked did they? :scared: :lol2: .

There was once an attempt at getting some form of party together some years ago, at the time when the Digital DJ license was being discussed. I forget what they called themselves, but they (self) professed to represent the industry in the roll out of what is now the PRO-DUB license. Either way, I never received a ballot paper through the post nor any vote in who "represented me" on this self elected committee nor did I ever read about their proposed manifesto and neither did most people (if the forums were to believed), so I would hardly have called it a democratic process.

At the end of the day, over several years, i've seen various members of nearly all associations enter into squabbles with others or get called into question on forums, over their paperwork or business practices and i've seen them have disputes with other members over bookings they've passed on which have gone awry or open / public disputes over fees etc and NON EXISTANT contracts :wall: . Which would ask a question 'Who is watching the watchers'?.

To my knowledge people are just as capable of being unprofessional and just guilty of sloppy business practices and the joining of an association doesn't seem to stop or even reduce this :D.

I've also witnessed the abhorant behaviour of some members of these associations towards other colleagues in their profession and their comments and attitudes towards their clients across many forums - usually with ' member of xxxxx association' laughingly somewhere in their profile / signature. If associations ever want to police the entire industry, then it may be wise to start with something smaller and easier and perhaps start cleaning out their own closets because there are members who constantly do the industry (and the association(s) they belong to) a continual dis-service and bring them / it into disrepute on a daily basis and often, at the same time are constantly and publicly pledging their allegiance to these associations , unfortunately including the times when they are acting like born again 6 year olds.

Does any association put professionalism over subscription?. To my knowledge nobody has ever been kicked out of an association or been officially told to wind their necks in by their 'leaders' through their continued bad behaviour or conduct!.

Keeping an industries reputation intact and ensuring a professional standard by its members, goes way beyond just checking authenticity of pli / pat documents IMO, it also applies to how their members continuously conduct themselves in the public domain.

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

None of them. If such a thing existed, there would be one DJ association because all DJ's would be a member of it now - voluntarily and without being lured to it by offers of cheap pli - which (lets be 100% honest and transparant here) is the main / only reason why a LOT of DJ's have joined an association :D .

This is also bearing in mind that only a minority of working DJ's in the UK are a member of ANY association in any case, so its wrong to say that any one of those represent or have attained any majority within the industry.

There was once an attempt at getting some form of party together some years ago, at the time when the Digital DJ license was being discussed. I forget what they called themselves, but they (self) professed to represent the industry in the roll out of what is now the PRO-DUB license. Either way, I never received a ballot paper through the post nor any vote in who "represented me" on this self elected committee nor did I ever read about their proposed manifesto and neither did most people (if the forums were to believed), so I would hardly have called it a democratic process.

At the end of the day, over several years, i've seen members of these associations enter into squabbles with others or get called into question on forums, over their paperwork or business processes and i've seen them have disputes with other members over bookings they've passed on which have gone awry or disputes over fees etc. Which would ask a question 'Who is watching the watchers'?

I've also witnessed the behaviour of some members of these associations towards other colleagues in their profession and their comments and attitudes towards their clients across many forums - usually with ' member of xxxxx association' laughingly in their profile / signature. If associations want to police the entire industry, then it may be wise to start with something smaller and easier and perhaps start cleaning out their own closets because there are members who constantly do the industry a dis-service and bring it into disrepute on a daily basis and often, embarrassingly they are a member of more than one Association.

Does any association put professionalism over subscription?. To my knowledge nobody has ever been kicked out of an association through continued bad behaviour or conduct!.

Keeping an industries reputation intact and ensuring a professional standard by its members, goes way beyond just checking authenticity of pli / pat documents IMO, it also applies to how they conduct themselves in the public domain.

Back OT.. :djurant:

Has any DJ's approached their MP with questions relating to the profession of DJing?

"awaits tumbleweed"...

I've not either, and I can't blame anyone. Most backbencher's are fairly honest, and got into politics for wishing to make a change.. But the system works against them - most things cost money, and its a little scarce right now (unless you need a new plasma for your 2nd home in Westminster..)

If any of us had the ear of Cameron/Clegg/Brown (anyone?)... for 10 mins, what would we ask for to assist the DJ profession?

A more to a regulated profession aka Electricians/Gas Engineers? How would the more experienced guys here feel about paying possibly £1000 to take a test? ..or new DJ's having to attend evening classes?

If DJ's should be regulated, then what about Bands?

I'd personally like to see a party that can take on the "PubCo" and supermarkets. Get people drinking back in pub/bars and not street corners. The drinking would (should) be controlled by the licencee, more jobs for Bar Staff and hopefully more money for entertainment (ie DJ/Karaoke)

My local £3.30 for a premium beer. Local shops will provide 6 cans for £5, leading to local yobbos hanging around the streets drinking until they can't stand, or start a fight.

I rarely play pubs, but can 100% appreciate those that do, and I love my local :-)

Not many of the pro wedding Dj's started off with weddings - they would normally start off playing in a pub... but what if the pubs continue to close and/or are squeezed dry?

What else.... Better support for small businesses, so good, solid advice to encourage start-ups to be legit and therefore benefit from government funded resources.

In reality, the best party for the DJ Industry will be the one that turns things around and allows people to have more disposable income.

Sadly, I can't see ANY party doing that due to the dire condition of the country, I think we're all in for a painfully lean time.

Jason

I consider the post 'Ontopic' but you need to think out of the box.

Unless of course you want one of the main crusty parties representing us whose members are quite possibly in bed drinking Ovaltine or playing bridge at 9PM and don't really understand or move in the same leisure circles as we do :D . You only have to examine the current state of the leisure market to see what a glowing example of a well managed system we have already in place, the last thing we want to be encouraging IMO, is for them to get their talons on what little market we have left.

Are we so impressed with the 'boom' in the hotel industry, and the thriving pub industry that we really want to be broaching the subject. *GULP*.

I can't ever recall seeing my local MP's (of any party) dancing at the local nightclub, eating a meal in the local village pub or playing squash with the local residents at the leisure centre. I doubt they spend their expenses at the local Premier Inn either - at least the expenses claims that were made public locally didn't seem to include many such rooms or should I say, suites for less than £200 a night :D . IMO, its wrong to even consider putting a political party in sole charge of an industry that it simply does not participate in, and actively removes itself from, let alone will understand or sympathise with

The natural assumption of a party to represent DJ's (and their interests) in politics would be a DJ Association - or some leisure party of sorts.

One of the reasons why the Government gave the PPL / MCPS the power to police copyright was because they didn't fully understand the complexity of the music and copyright industry, and so at least had the sense to elect and form a power which did and gave them the full authority to act (and issue penalty under law) on its behalf, and lo and behold these entities were created. The same applies to Gas Safe, IET, ABTA etc

Personally, I think politics needs to be kept out of OUR industry, it has enough problems to deal with as it is :pro:

Edited by McCardle

"The voice of the devil is heard in our land"

'War doesn't determine who is right, war determines who is left, and you wont win this war.'

One of the biggest topics in the trade press is the raft of government legislation that is very anti-club/pub. At least, that's the consensus amongst the LV community. Whether its tax, duty of care to patrons, amount of disposable income, licensing, health and safety, hours, environment, excise, planning, fire, security, disabled access, smoking, the drunken society....

The feeling is that things were on the slide around the turn of the millenium.

Most UK brewing is now in the hands of foreigners, and the night venue industry is very much on its knees (Even Night Magazine/Disco Mirror has had be renamed 'night and day'). PLASA now is a theatre and TV show, disco equipment manufacturers can't afford Earls Court these days...times are hard!

So a new government could help in one or two of these aspects. A more prosperous society might encourage punters to start painting the town red once more! ??

Edited by superstardeejay

A more prosperous society might encourage punters to start painting the town red once more! ??

I doubt that will ever happen. I really think we have seen the best days. I dont go out much these days as our disposable income is less than it was 5 years ago, even after promotions, pay rises and me returning to work after the kids became older. Ok we have a bigger mortgage but in comparison we are no better off.

And its only going to get worse

Spare cash that we do have is spent on family leisure time, not sitting in pubs. We do go out for meals and try to support local traders but rarely go for a night out

My wife is in the NHS and when fuel costs went mad they significally reduced the milage allowance :wacko:

We will never be an industrious nation again, the dole queues will never get smaller and with the current benefit system why should some people bother to work.

My brother-in-law lives on benefits and can only spend 2 weeks a year in his holiday apartment in Morocco, poor soul eh!

Whoever takes charge will spend their days firefighting all the issues that have snowballed over the last few years (which no party could have done anything about) with little time for small fish's like us.

Its far too easy to get wound up over politics so i adopt the attitude that what ever happens, happens, at least i didnt vote for them.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I agree with most of what you have all said.

Bottom line, I guess the only 'direct' political connection we have is to whatever the PRS and the music industry associations are pushing for.

There is no DJ lobby so our interests won't have been heard by anyone. Even if they were, I doubt the 'vote count benefit' would be worth the effort from any MP.

I recognise the apathy (not in the rude sense) McCardle refers to within the industry and we've seen how difficult it is just to try and get a few of us together just for a beer.

Other than lobbying ProDub to change (like getting a dog to give up eating meat), does anyone know of any other pressure group/quango that has an interest in what DJ's do?

:joe:

I recognise the apathy (not in the rude sense) McCardle refers to within the industry and we've seen how difficult it is just to try and get a few of us together just for a beer.

Just to pick up on this Joe.It's not apathy that stops us getting together,it's location.I am sorry but I cant afford to go half way across the country just for a beer and a chat and certainly not for a curry.

As for the politics.Never have and never will vote.Doesn't matter who rules the country,they will make it hard for Joe Public while enjoying the spoils of their lying,cheating and dishonesty.While ever there are people like Mendelson :cense: in government-how can you trust or respect them.

:rant:

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Just to pick up on this Joe.It's not apathy that stops us getting together,it's location.I am sorry but I cant afford to go half way across the country just for a beer and a chat and certainly not for a curry.

As for the politics.Never have and never will vote.Doesn't matter who rules the country,they will make it hard for Joe Public while enjoying the spoils of their lying,cheating and dishonesty.While ever there are people like Mendelson :cense: in government-how can you trust or respect them.

:rant:

Just for the record, I wasn't using the term apathy towards our upcoming meet. I recognised in my post the "difficulty" in getting us all together and that included distance, work timing etc.

I used the word apathy in its true sense (lack of interest) to the industry in general about coming together as a union/group.

Quite a few of us are a little frustrated about the lack of a strong central body to help DJ's on macro issues and that frustration, as you know, is compounded by the fact that we are so fragmented as an industry.

No criticisms intended in any of my posts on this subject.

None of them. If such a thing existed or was remotely favoured, there would be one DJ association because all DJ's would be a member of it now - voluntarily and without being lured to it by offers of cheap pli - which (lets be 100% honest and transparant here) is the main / only reason why a LOT of DJ's have joined an association :D .

In essence the only association which can gauge the loyalty and support of its membership, is the one who has tempted members into its fold, purely through promoting its ethics and not offering incentives :D

Inevitably, those who have joined just for the cheap pli, will not give a flying damn about the politics. They have their PLI certificate, so they can do that 'gig next saturday' and thats where their interest ends.

This is also bearing in mind that only a minority of working DJ's in the UK are a member of ANY association in any case, so its wrong to say that any one of those associations represent or have attained any majority support within the industry in general.

All I can see, is an increasing number of Associations, all fighting over dwindling numbers of members, and each time another one appears, the number of those DJ's requiring an association membership for the following year, is diluted as a result!. A bit like when we used to choose our football teams at school. Nobody wanted to be the last one to be picked did they? :scared: :lol2: .

At the end of the day, over several years, i've seen various members of nearly all associations enter into squabbles with others or get called into question on forums, over their paperwork or business practices and i've seen them have disputes with other members over bookings they've passed on which have gone awry or open / public disputes over fees etc and NON EXISTANT contracts :wall: . Which would ask a question 'Who is watching the watchers'?.

To my knowledge people are just as capable of being unprofessional and just guilty of sloppy business practices and the joining of an association doesn't seem to stop or even reduce this :D.

I've also witnessed the abhorant behaviour of some members of these associations towards other colleagues in their profession and their comments and attitudes towards their clients across many forums - usually with ' member of xxxxx association' laughingly somewhere in their profile / signature. If associations ever want to police the entire industry, then it may be wise to start with something smaller and easier and perhaps start cleaning out their own closets because there are members who constantly do the industry (and the association(s) they belong to) a continual dis-service and bring them / it into disrepute on a daily basis and often, at the same time are constantly and publicly pledging their allegiance to these associations , unfortunately including the times when they are acting like born again 6 year olds.

Does any association put professionalism over subscription?. To my knowledge nobody has ever been kicked out of an association or been officially told to wind their necks in by their 'leaders' through their continued bad behaviour or conduct!.

Keeping an industries reputation intact and ensuring a professional standard by its members, goes way beyond just checking authenticity of pli / pat documents IMO, it also applies to how their members continuously conduct themselves in the public domain.

And you get all that from "So which party would be best in Government for the DJ industry??" Wow :shrug:

The simple fact of the matter is any one can DJ. Not any one can Do electrics or Plumbing or gas fitting.

Any one can get a bunch of tunes some form of PA and maybe a light or two and bang they are a DJ.

As we all know DJs come in various skill sets from the total beginner to the guy who has done it all and got the Tee shirt. Some guys take it very seriously, but sadly most DJs don't. Its some easy money. That is the sad fact of the matter guys and it will never change as you do not need skill or qualifications to be a DJ.

As for the Election who ever got in they are in for a rough ride and so are we I fear.

Just my two penny worth

Nik

Nik

Edited by UKHero

The simple fact of the matter is any one can DJ. Not any one can Do electrics or Plumbing or gas fitting.

Any one can get a bunch of tunes some form of PA and maybe a light or two and bang they are a DJ.

As we all know DJs come in various skill sets from the total beginner to the guy who has done it all and got the Tee shirt. Some guys take it very seriously, but sadly most DJs don't. Its some easy money. That is the sad fact of the matter guys and it will never change as you do not need skill or qualifications to be a DJ, and very little money either

As for the Election who ever got in they are in for a rough ride and so are we I fear. Indeed we are

Just my two penny worth

Nik

Nik

These are my thoughts exactly, the only thing I think would help the professional, dedicated DJ, is for the advertising standards agency to start enforcing advertising standards legislation, and prosecute the DJs making outrageous, unjustifiable claims of their experience and abilities on their websites

Back to the original post, I turned 60 last year and I have run businesses under Conservative, Labour and a coallition, I can honestly say I've been MUCH better off under Labour governments (excepting the last couple of years of this one) which, IMO wae mostly the result of world events rather than local policy.

New Site Clouds Disco

LOTS OF STUFF FROM NIK-aka-UKHero

Nik

My sentiments entirely.

This is not a rehearsal

This is it - grab it while you can.

Personally, I think politics needs to be kept out of OUR industry, it has enough problems to deal with as it is :pro:

I agree totally.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.