Dj's United

On The Other Side Of The Decks For A Change

Went to a friend's 40th Birthday Party as a guest last night.

They'd hired a DJ for the night so for me it was a case of watching proceedings 'from the other side' so to speak.

I don't mean to be critical of a fellow professional but my evening was ruined by the DJ's constant (well, every 20 seconds or so) use of the mic - either for inane banter with the 2 or 3 punters that were actually on the dancefloor or for singing really badly along with the track. OK, so not everyone has the same style or likes the same thing but I would be interested to know what you all think of this 'style' of DJing where the poor old punter has to put up with this. In my humble opinion the people at a disco want to hear good music that they can dance to at a level appropriate to the time of the evening with occasional announcements between songs or over the end of one song before launching into the next track. Judging by comments I heard from some of the other guests at the party they didn't like this style much either.

What do you think?

Personally, it depends on the night and the crowd. What if the "poor old punter" actually wanted this?

In the other extreme, the DJ who rarely/never uses the mic - some crowds need this.

What did the client think?

Providing the client didn't say "no inane banter please!", its up the them to give feedback. Just as clients come to me with a music request - they can always go tell the DJ to cut the mic work, if they feel its a problem.

I rarely get to see other DJ's working, but if its a mobile guy its easy to be critical, but we should always remember that its not always an easy job, and as just a guest we should be reminded that we are there to relax and celebrate the occasion.

I was in a similar position earlier this year. A friends 40th that he asked me to quote. It was 1hr+ away, and I provided a good price. He found someone local to do it for a much lower price - which I did not attempt to compete on price with- and opted to come as a guest only.

The night was ok - the DJ's didn't listen to requests, and did no real mic work. For this type of party, I would put request sheets on tables, and walk out front with wireless mic, get the birthday people up for a photo and quick speech and then crack on with the night - encouraging requests and also making sure we came across as approachable.

My personal criticism were put aside (and kept private), and I joined the birthday boy on the dancefloor with his family and friends.

I thanked him for inviting me, and with a bit of effort (namely drinking wine..), I did enjoy myself - even though the DJ was playing a fairly strange mix of tracks.

(no cheesy 80's or 90's, even though that was requested by their client)

So, for me, I don't tell other DJ's that "I'm a DJ too, you know..", I don't criticise other DJ's at their gig, and I do try to enjoy the night and let my hair down (or at least what's left of it!)

Jason

although i have seen many chatty DJ's i have never seen one EVERY 20 SECONDS or so chatting ..that has to be an exaggeration isn't it? if so that is way too much.

i consider myself chatty but i never introduce every record and i only make comments when i feel they will work , i obviously use the mic to introduce singers or ask quiz questions etc but at a 40th straight disco why would you want to chat every 20 seconds? even cheesy 80's smashy and niceys didnt talk that much

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Reminds me of a gig I did some years ago at a conference centre.

Mine was a wedding.

Next door was a company thrash.

The Dj announced and/or spoke over every track.

He did it very well but I found it very annoying and even on radio that would have been too much!!!

When i do manage to get the other side of the decks I only make comments to the person im with usually about the lighting or sound system (try and pic up ideas :Thumbup: ) .

Im one of those dj's that only speak when neccersary, Id rather listen to the music than my voice PLus it stops me getting tongue tied :blush:

Mic work was a big failing of mine early on, I have gotten much better at it, but still only use it when I feel it's necessary or will work, I would generally use the mic when changing genre's or for requests etc, and more so at 21st parties etc. I would never criticise another DJ at a gig, even though some guys simply don't make the effort the rest of us do, and it clearly shows. I know a couple of younger guys who have started out in the past few years who have a shoddy PA and lighting rig, and download the majority of their music from torrent sharing sites. It annoys me that people like this can get work, but it really is up to the client who they hire, all I can do is offer the best service I possibly can, and hope this leads to more gigs, it is definately getting tougher as the market is totally saturated with part-timers, all looking for their slice of a pie that is getting smaller and smaller.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Thanks guys for those comments which I shall certainly bear in mind.

As I said in my original post, I had no intention of criticising the dj I saw (and I certainly did not let him know my thoughts on the night) as I appreciate that 'one mans meat is another mans poison' - it just wasn't my particular 'cup of tea'. To each his own as they say. I'm sure there have been people who have been 'on the other side' when I have been DJing and they probably thought they could do better than me too!

As I say, I appreciate all your comments and realise that we DJs need to stick together in order to survive in this tough environment that we find ourselves in today - that's why this forum is called Dj's United after all!