Dj's United

So, not really wanting (but possibly as a backup) to use a laptop to DJ, but just to play the odd video / pictures from a wedding, would a netbook do it (even if I need to split the signal to two or more screens?) or would it have to be a laptop?

Most netbooks will only come with a VGA connector output only (My Dell Mini 10v does - Atom 1.6ghz, 160 Gig HDD, and 1Gb RAM, soon to be upgraded, and running OSX :) ).

You should be able to play standard definition videos fine, as long as playing off the local Hard Disc (playing via wifi or the LAN seems to be jerky), not tried the SD card slot or a USB stick.

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Try to get a Dual Core Atom ie 330 or above, and a decent graphics chip.

Just built a mini-itx system for my daughter. DVD's play very well on Ubuntu/Lucid but guess Windows would be equally ok. Looked great on our Plasma TV :-)

If you stick with MPEG2, then most graphics hardware will be able to decompress for you- reducing processor usage.

Obviously, photos will be fine - but as gadget says; most netbooks will only have VGA output.

My old single core cerleron eeePC701 struggles with video, but is fine for photos...

Jason's awesome use of components in mini-itx aside .. if you buy most not all net books they are pants for your intended use ... laptops for the few £ more are far better ..netbooks are just that ..great for the net ..browsing etc but ask them to do various video formats and they will struggle .

It not the hardware but what netbooks come with and the way they are configured although "stripped down " they are designed for surfing and not for your intended application for still slide shows you may get away with it but videos for me i would say no. i wouldn't do a show DEPENDING on a net book.

Just my opinion but a second hand powerful laptop would be a better idea

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Asus 12.1" Dual Core with ION chipset £405

http://www.ksn-online.co.uk/computers-netb...39m-p-8019.html

This will play MPG2 very well due to a good GPU.

If price is a reason for going netbook (you've not said), then a cheaper 2nd hand Laptop will be better with more connections/expandability.

Atom processors are not great performance, but do have low power requirements (I'm using them in a small project here in the office), but coupled with hardware accelerated graphics the lack of processing power is not usually an issue.

Netbooks are generally more rugged than normal Laptops, a SSD over a normal HD gives something you can safely drop without worrying.

whoops theres me assuming stuff ! lol well it was after a few beers last night ... i was guessing you were thinking of buying a netbook sub £300.

at those sort of prices sub £300 i still think that i wouldnt depend on a sub £300 netbook for video but a second hand laptop at £300 with a good spec of which there are many about i would.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

I've still not got around to sorting out my netbook with dual boot.

I'm going to use mine for DMX control with freestyler (and as a third backup audio source only).

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]