Dj's United

I have just seen one for the 1st time in the flesh, well designed lovely looking gadget. But cannot believe how Apple can Con the public into buying something like this with hardly any storage space!!

£429 for 16gig storage!! i.e. a couple of games, a few photos and a couple of mp3 albums.....

or

£600 for 64Gig ... wow! :hurt:

you could buy the entry level macbook for a few hundred more or a decent PC laptop for a few dollars less..

I :heartlove: Apple but personally will wait a few more years for something with at least 180gig storage upwards.

oohh

I guess you could always use a USB Hard Drive

erm.. Bluetooth anyone? lol

:joe:

I do think they have good design/UI. and as someone who does design (and develop) products - I'm very aware of the work needed to bring even a simple product to market.

I'm not sure how the memory capacity compares to an iPhone, but as far as I can see, the iPad is basically an iPhone with a larger screen (and optional 3G stuff).

There are Android based Tablet PC's coming out now/soon. I doubt any will be as slick as an iPad, but I'm very sure they will be more open and lower cost.

(Oh... and will probably have a USB connector for external storage, keyboard/mouse etc)

Edited by vokf

I am one of those idiots that picked one up on launch day from PC world.

Yes it is just a large IPOD touch but it is great for Email and surfing on the move.....so much better than a fiddly phone.

I agree a laptop is in a lot of cases cheaper, and I have one. But the IPAD wins every time for travelling.

I never thought I would say that as I generally hate all the hype surrounding Apple but I played with the IPAD in the states a month ago .........nearly bought one, but decided to wait and buy it here as the price difference was not that great.

Wiz

Posted on my IPAD. :joe:

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Yo can still visit sites with Flash but cannot view the animation - you usually get a grey cross or "Flash not supported).

oohh

I could rant all day about apple and the brainwashed public who seem to fall onto bended knees whenever they see something new and shiny with the apple logo on it.

Don't even get me started on being dictated to about which software I am able to use and which I can't. If I am going to shell out hundreds of pounds for something I expect to be able to use how I like and install whatever I like.

The basic truth is there has always been cheaper comparable (and in a lot of cases better) alternatives to apple hardware.

Here's a nice example of what I mean: ipad vs 7 year old tablet pc

http://lookpic.com/i/13/Mwrl1edX.jpeg

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

I could rant all day about apple and the brainwashed public who seem to fall onto bended knees whenever they see something new and shiny with the apple logo on it.

Don't even get me started on being dictated to about which software I am able to use and which I can't. If I am going to shell out hundreds of pounds for something I expect to be able to use how I like and install whatever I like.

The basic truth is there has always been cheaper comparable (and in a lot of cases better) alternatives to apple hardware.

Fantastic.. and so true!

My bet is that Apple will bring out a "proper" tablet toward the end of this year.

oohh

:D

My little acer netbook is all i need and since it was only £220 i think i have the better option. IMO!

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Totally agree Dave.

I posted the picture above as an example to people who might want a touch screen computer for whatever reason and to illustrate just what a rip off the ipad is in my opinion.

When a seven year old tablet has more features, outperforms and offers far more versatility than the ipad it really makes me wonder what people think they are buying.

Do they honestly believe the marketing and think they can't live without it and nothing else could possibly do what a shiny black ipad can do. I've already seen countless reps and executives walking around with theirs in their hand, showing it off just like when the iphone was the latest must have. It's pure ego, "look at me, i've got lots of money to waste" in my opinion.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't dislike the ipad. I've had a go with one and it's good at what it does but for what it actually is and what it can do, it is vastly over-priced.

It's the massive hype surrounding it that annoys me. People seem ready to commit murder just to get hold of one. Why? What can it do that nothing else has been able to do for years already?

ok [/rant] over lol. :joe:

Craig

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

In the words of Mr Paul Weller "The public wants what the public gets".

Apple has become very good at marketing as can now be seen by the two billion difference over Microsoft.

The apple macs were great machines easy to use less hastle from viruses etc, but with the influx of Ipods then Iphones now Ipads it has become a phenomenon and an iconic design brand not for what the gadet can do but for what it says about the owner/user.

This has happened many times in the past most memorable was VHS V Betamx. Betamax was the far superior system so much so that Betacam was the industry standard for broadcasting but through clever marketing VHS became the big player and betamax faded away.

I dont own anything apple as I feel they place to many restrictions on the items you buy as far as what software you can use or where and how you download your msic from.

Great post showing the short cummings of the Ipad but I am sure it will be a hit.

Nik

I believe you can attach an external screen to it - but you need Apple's iPad to VGA connector - which'll cost you 25 quid.

There is also some sorta camera connector too, which gives you an SD card slot / USB connection for an external camera. I'll bet that's quite limited in terms of what you can connect to it.

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I actually see the iPhone as now a bit chavvy.. If my daughters 13yr old friends can have them, then the generic "chav" can too.

This obviously goes against Apples view of professional types using them for posing... :joe:

Design is a consideration with these things, and it would be interesting to see long-term reviews of iPads and other tablet PCs.

It'll be interesting how the ARM based Android Tablet PC's compete (feature, performance) with the iPad in the coming months.

I design products for a living, and fully apreciate how much work goes into this stuff. Even a simple dev cycle on hardware is lots of meetings and documentation :damn: Apple has more resources than my 4 man team thou....

I don't actually mind the lack of flash. HTML5 has a video tag (admittedly with a bunch of patent problems) , and there are plug-ins for Chrome/Firefox to replace the Flash video view on YouTube with nice, HTML5 video tags.

Most other uses of flash can be written in HTML Canvas object. I've seen some very cool things in this - and I also suspect the recent Google "PacMan" day, was using this (it didn't use flash anyway)

So... the future is more open standards - much as I'd like to bash Apple for not supporting flash, its a step in the right direction.

(posted on my £190 eeePC 1001HA, tethered to my Andriod phone for 3G access... not as cool as an iPad, but lots cheaper, and a fairly good keyboard!)

I look at the ipad and smile...if you get my drift...

http://www.woot.com/Images/Sale/RCA_Lyra_1GB_MP3_Player_with_FM_Transmitter_2YM-detail.jpg

http://www.technologytranslated.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/big_calc.jpg

Some will have more use than others....eh?!

Here's a thought. If chavs and young upwardly-mobile professionals (yuppies) were 'bred', they might be called chuppies!

(posted on my £190 eeePC 1001HA, tethered to my Andriod phone for 3G access... not as cool as an iPad, but lots cheaper, and a fairly good keyboard!)

I have the G1 Google phone running Android. Its not to bad a phone couple of ommisions that I think they should sort such as its a multi media device but no headphone jack and I have the white one :damn: the keys are a pain to see in some lighting conditions, infact I would go as so far to say most lighting conditions again :damn: .

But with that said I do the same as you tether it to my laptop using PDANet and i now have it on Three Mobile with there so called unlimited internet although I get an email half way through each month warning me of the fair use policy and I might be cut off if I don't stop using the net until the 21st of the month.

Arrhhhhh Don't you love big business and the way it treats its customers... :wall:

Nik

Hi Nik,

on HTC Hero here (Hmm, suggest you get one to match your DJU Name!!)

This phone has a 3.5mm headphone jack, and I've run it through my mixer as a sound source. The media player can be basic x-fading (so better at mixing than me lol)

I prefer the 'driod phone to my old Windows Mobile smartphone. I'm always on "unmetered" tariff so traffic varies from 150MB/month to 1.5GB/Month (when I used the phone to drag down some updates for the PC)

I've yet to get any letters from Orange (other than junk about their broadband)

Its also worth noting that the 'droid phone connects to Linix/Untuntu with no extra software this was one reason for dual-booting the netbook, I know the phone works well, getting very good rates (obviously in a good area)

I've yet to do the flashy thing and download tracks during a gig, but I guess that's easily possible.

Back to the iPad, I did see the launch speech (when it came out in the US), but it wasn't touted as a business tool - more of an ad-hoc internet device. The message came across that users wouldn't write long reports/documents, but could use it to catch up on emails/docs.

My post as few weeks ago of a DJ using it as a control surface for mixing was interesting and shows the benefit of a decent sized touch screen. For this type of use, any Tablet PC would work just as well, and could use external drives as a bulk storage device.

..and I've been using my eeepc (same one as Jason as once he saw mine he HAD to have one) tethered to my Sony Ericsson W995 through the sony software on the usual XP operating system. Really pleased with the eeepc, the keyboard and screen are a decent size for reasonable surfing and other use for docs etc.

Mines even running GIMP for photo editing. :photo:

I think Apple etc etc are cashing in our our obsession with being in touch with the world and having to have that latest gadget to look cool. I have just bought a new phone after a lot of consideration ended up with a £60 nokia (great deal in tesco - spend £40 on shopping and get £20 off so it was £40) and a £10 per month sim card plan that has 300 mins and unlimited texts per month

I considered an iphone but it was going to set me back £785 over 2 years and i really cant justify paying that kind of money to be able to find a coffee shop or download a song at a gig every now and again, i certainly dont need to tell the world eveytime i go for a poo , which is not far off what some dingbats do on facebook etc.

I can see the advantge of the whole virtual book gizmo's as the Mrs is a big reader and has books stashed everywhere and having a large book collection on a small gadget would be usefull.

I have yet to see some poser in w'spoons with an i pad but it wont be long.

Hmmmm chuppies...or will it be Yavs.

What does make me laugh is that some people are willing to spend more a year on a phone than Tax, Testing and Insuring a car. I lost count how many times a car rolled into my old mans workshop with bald tyres, exhaust hanging off and a £300 stereo system, with some young chuppie whinging to his dad on his iphone that he cant afford to keep his car on the road.

Back on topic, i dont think i would be happy carrying one about, too big and too fragile for everyday use.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I've got a little Dell Mini 10v Netbook. I bought it cos it can run OSX ... I use it quite a bit, although I still prefer a bigger screen! Good enough for a bit of spotify use, printing etc.

Just needs more RAM - 1Gb aint really enough..

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Hi Nik,

on HTC Hero here (Hmm, suggest you get one to match your DJU Name!!)

This phone has a 3.5mm headphone jack, and I've run it through my mixer as a sound source. The media player can be basic x-fading (so better at mixing than me lol)

I prefer the 'driod phone to my old Windows Mobile smartphone. I'm always on "unmetered" tariff so traffic varies from 150MB/month to 1.5GB/Month (when I used the phone to drag down some updates for the PC)

I've yet to get any letters from Orange (other than junk about their broadband)

Its also worth noting that the 'droid phone connects to Linix/Untuntu with no extra software this was one reason for dual-booting the netbook, I know the phone works well, getting very good rates (obviously in a good area)

I've yet to do the flashy thing and download tracks during a gig, but I guess that's easily possible.

Back to the iPad, I did see the launch speech (when it came out in the US), but it wasn't touted as a business tool - more of an ad-hoc internet device. The message came across that users wouldn't write long reports/documents, but could use it to catch up on emails/docs.

My post as few weeks ago of a DJ using it as a control surface for mixing was interesting and shows the benefit of a decent sized touch screen. For this type of use, any Tablet PC would work just as well, and could use external drives as a bulk storage device.

He he I might get the Hero lol but the phone would be smart and I am not.... I would like a touch screen for the disco next the only thing is Ots has quite a small footprint for pushing buttons etc.

I have downloaded music at gigs even Karaoke tracks and surfed DJU and even posted a picture to DJU once lol.

I don't think the Ipad would be up to it but there are some good £500+ touch screen PCs hitting the market.

Nik

While we are apple bashing don't get me started on the Ipod.

I have just sold mine on ebay. 180gig Ipod classic.

Once again beautiful design, great interface etc etc BUT the Sound quality is absolutely terrible.. or should i say the volume limiter (which i think is an EU thing), the music playback is far to low for my taste, tried everything in the book (tried top of the range earphones, increased the volume adjustment in itunes settings etc), when i listen to music i like the choice of controlling my volume and preferably as loud as possible!

The older Ipods were crackable to break the EU sound limiter bit the new ones aint!

You are right Jason - trying not sound like a snob but My Aunty Edna now has an Iphone! She now has the same as me - that's not cool!

In defence of Apple - IMO, the best laptop ever is the Macbook Pro! I would never feel confident DJ'ng

using any version of Windows - I would be a nervous wreck!

oohh