Dj's United

Venues With In-house Sound Systems...

hey guys

just took a booking for a 30th birthday in july and the venue has a in-house sound system.

have any of you ever had to use a in-house sound system, what sould i do because it says in the terms and conditions for the venue: 27. All music equipment i.e. disco equipment, microphones etc. MUST be connected to the in-house sound system/speakers

but im worried that the in-house sound system isnt going to sound as good as my system.

is there a way round using there in-house system?

thanks

patrick :)

Hi Patrick,

I think you've answered the question...

All music equipment i.e. disco equipment, microphones etc. MUST be connected to the in-house sound system/speakers

Its their venue, and they set the rules. Don't break their rule - they can throw you out, and if they have a nois e ababtement order and your actions lost their entertainment licence, you could be open to damages.£££££

I have a wedding in a Maquee at the end of this month. The sound system looks to be a battered (and rusty) amp in a bashed flightcase.

Speakers are in a suspended ceiling directly above the dancefloor, with no other speakers.

I have explained my concerns to the client, and will be bringing a spare amp (the venue does not appear to have a spare).

In this situation, you have to realise that this is the clients choice/mistake. The venue obviously has had noise problems in the past, and so all performers are in this position.

For an 18th, I guess you may have wanted to bring subs/large powerful system - but now this is not possible.

On the plus side, you don't need to bring any PA gear, so your car/van and back will thank you :Thumbup:

So.. don't sweat it, get in early (if you can) and find the limitations of the system - and try to make it sound nice (so don't pump up the bass too much!).

If they want higher levels, then you may be able to raise the mid eq a little.

Jason

the system dosent look too bad they have about 3-6 img stageline plastic 12" or 15" speakers which should be ok.

and im gonna try and see if i can go and hear the system before the event, this will probably be possible.

the system dosent look too bad they have about 3-6 img stageline plastic 12" or 15" speakers which should be ok.

and im gonna try and see if i can go and hear the system before the event, this will probably be possible.

Ok - that sound be ok - hopefully they haven't been driven to clip for the last 5 years...

If the cabs are surrounding the floor, it should be fine.

Ideally these places should have a Limiter (?? sorry, may be compressor..), to "nicely" reduce the input if its over a specific level, so a DJ could put the mixer up to "11", and it will simply reduce the gain to keep the signal nice, but the sound level within requirements.

Post back a gig review! I'll be doing one at the end of the month, and possibly a bit of video..

yes i will keep the levels nice,i do live sound also so i know about getting the balences between freqencys etc... right and i will keep my mixer tapping into 0dB.

yeah ill defo do a video giglog! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I bet that they have a sound limiter or attenuator connected to the mixer and thats why you have to plug into their sound system.

At a venue I did an install for, it worked out cheaper to buy new speakers, subs and amps than having a decent sound limiter put in.

This might be the case at this venue.

If the levels arent loud enough, I normally say on the microphone to make the guests aware. If there is a sound limiter I always say at the beginning of the evening about being connected to one in case it cuts me off half way through the night.

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk