Dj's United

Worst Evenings Entertainment For Disasters

Went to a friends party last night....They had hired a Band, Disco, Adult bouncy castle, Rodeo Bull, laser shooting game and table magician.

The afternoon got off to a good start apart from the heat lots of activity on the inflateables with a bit of disco for background music.

At 6.00 we had a hog roast and desert which took us into the evening. The disco had been there all day and had moved Inside to the barn where the evenings entertainment would take place, The mobile bar had set up during the day so the scene was being set for a good old knees up.

The band were late they got lost and arrived at 745 and proceeded to set up, which wasn't too much of a problem as most of us were still outside.

At 9.00 we all got told that we must go inside to see the bands first set.

The stage looked untidy as both the band and disco occupied it.

The lead singer made an introduction then they started they were good then after 35 mins disaster stuck there was a loud bang and puff of smoke as their amp(s) blew up.

The DJ stepped in and continued while the sound man tried to work out what had happened. Anyway that was the last we heard from the band as the rack units power input has shorted out damaging the ams, sound processors etc.

The DJ was doing a good job up until 10.30 when he started having trouble with his CD players (one side kept ejecting the discs) so he rigged up a personal cd player as backup at 10.50 he managed to overload his speakers and blew one channel on his amp and both his bass cones so that was the end of the evening.

I spoke to the DJ and tried to help out to get the show on the road again and found out that the DJ didn't own any of the gear.

It was set up by the agency he worked for as was left to his own devices.What had happened is that the speakers that he used outside he had connected to the system inside causing the amps to overheat and self distruct as the load was running at 2ohms.

No back up amp.

So the moral of this thread is make sure that you have back up equipment and you know how to use it.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

What a sad affair, a ruined party and an expensive blunder for somebody too.

I hope your friend will be getting some sort of financial compensation as i can imagine he has forked out some good money for poor service

There is nothing like owning, maintaining, setting up and operating your own gear, that way there is only 1 person to blame if things do go wrong. Feel sorry for the dj.

In one respect its nice to see how others do things and compare it with what we do, not a comparison on this occasion but you know what i mean.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

What a state of affairs I hope the guests and organisers saw the 'funny side' of all these keystone cop style goings on!

And I too would be expecting a pretty hefty sum in compensation to cover the dissapointment caused.

Although, 1 point you raised interested me, you said "No Back up Amp!" so as a question going off topic for a second just how much 'back up' equipment does anyone carry and where do you draw the line!

I mean does it stretch from a couple of spare leads to carrying a complete second rig just in case the lighting fails too?

Thanks for the post makes my evening last night sound positively awesome :D

The Band settled for expenses but the Disco agency had refused to comment last night when they come to collect the equipment.

I will find out more during next week.

I personally carry a spare amp, leads, bulbs, and cd players, but touch wood in my mere 26 years experience have never had such failings.

IMO is is important to keep the sound going is possible you can do without the lighting.

We did see the funny side and it will be a party to remember for a long time.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

Although, 1 point you raised interested me, you said "No Back up Amp!" so as a question going off topic for a second just how much 'back up' equipment does anyone carry and where do you draw the line!

I mean does it stretch from a couple of spare leads to carrying a complete second rig just in case the lighting fails too?

Key componets are IMO Cd player, Amp & mixer. I use a laptop for main playback with a cheap dual cd kit as backup which is cased up with a 19" mixer. I have a cheap 2 channel mixer and spare power amp in the van. You will be unlucky if something does go down and a bulb popping is not an issue. blowing your speakers to bits is more irresponsibe than unlucky so careful management is key.

the last serious drop for us out was a freak occurance, a powerlead was resting on top of a switch on my power brick and as the dance floor started bouncing the lead bounced and turned the mixer off. :wacko:

spare powerleads, audio leads, fuses etc etc are part of the common spare kit.

Good the hear you all saw the funny side Ray, laugh or cry no choice really.

Edited by MintyDave

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

The entertainment company have sent a £20 M&S voucher for the inconvenience.

My Friend has asked for a 15% refund as settlement figure.

If you were in this situation how much would you refund - The Disco and bouncy castle etc with exception of the band were supplied but the entertainment company for a large (fee four figures)

Sounds like 'Carry-on' film.

I suspect this happens quite alot.

The moral of the story is:

use good reliable well maintained gear which is yours

take back up equipment to every function & make sure it works

know how to use the equipment ie - don't over power the speakers

The entertainment company have sent a £20 M&S voucher for the inconvenience.

My Friend has asked for a 15% refund as settlement figure.

If you were in this situation how much would you refund - The Disco and bouncy castle etc with exception of the band were supplied but the entertainment company for a large (fee four figures)

The fairest way would be to pro-rater the failed performances- based on performance time.

The Disco. He was playing all day, and had problems at 10:30 - a disaster for the party, but majority ofthe work was done (ie possibly 2-3 hours left- albeit probably the busiest times!)

The band, 35mins... For some bands, thats nearly the end of their 1st set.

So, for the Disco- probably a £150+ refund (but depending on the DJs finish time)

The band, its difficult to say without knowing how long they would be playing for and how much they were charging (3 piece or 5 piece..) If they were doing 2 x 45mins sets, then a 50% refund would be in order.

In any case, a £20 M&S voucher is out of order IMO.

Those of us that issue terms to clients, probably have a "total failure" clause, which would normally detail (in my case) a full refund (including booking fee).

Did your friend have something similar in the terms he should have received from the agency?

One benefit of booking through an agency should be a higher level of backup (technical and commercial) over booking individual services.

He should request a cost breakdown of the DJ and Band and negotiate from there.

Jas

I would be looking at more than a £20 m&s voucher. 50% of the disco fee would be the least, by the sound of things that could be £30

Those of us that issue terms to clients, probably have a "total failure" clause, which would normally detail (in my case) a full refund (including booking fee).

Good point Jas, i think my contract is going to be like the script for Dances With Wolves before too long.

failure to perform due to techical errors that are deemed to be the sole responsibility of your truely, blah blah not responsible for any fluff ups caused by third parties etc

Thnaks for that

Dave

The band were booked direct and only charged travelling expenses with was about £35.

I have read some of the comms from the Entertainment company aandthey have told my friend to take the matter up with the DJ as it was his fault things went wrong.

IMO this is the wrong aapproachthey should try and sort out the problem and not push it to the DJ at the end of the day here was only hired to play music,

The band were booked direct and only charged travelling expenses with was about £35.

I have read some of the comms from the Entertainment company aandthey have told my friend to take the matter up with the DJ as it was his fault things went wrong.

IMO this is the wrong aapproachthey should try and sort out the problem and not push it to the DJ at the end of the day here was only hired to play music,

I'm assuming the hiring was done with the "entertainment" company? Then they probably subbed it out to a DJ, and therefore the responsibility would then lie with the ents company?

The M&S voucher was just an insult to an injury!

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

If the entertainments company performed the role of "introducer" and took a fee for that purpose, leaving the DJ to collect his fee from the client, then it is not liable. The contract will be between the DJ and the client.

If the entertainments company performed the role of "introducer" and took a fee for that purpose, leaving the DJ to collect his fee from the client, then it is not liable. The contract will be between the DJ and the client.

The entertainment company were paid directly for the Disco and the bouncy castle ETC.

My Friend has sent off an email this weekend threatening legal action. He is not impressed at the M&S voucher offer or ....

The correspondence so far from the company (Yesterday) States

"They cannot be held responsible for the actions of their DJ's and or any members of their staff due to negligence of the individual(s) concerned as the directors were not present at the function and any claims arising should be directed to the person(s) concerned and not ************** Entertainments.

We trust that this will resolve your dispute. The name and the address of the DJ is blah blah"

Then just to more insult to injury the bottom of the email has this message "Delivering first class entertainment for your perfect hassle free evenings entertainment since 1995"

I can't believe the attitude of the company concerned the blame lies at their door and they just need to put their hands up and take the blame and learn from the mistakes made.

I know that the laser shooting and bouncy castle were sub contracted in by them and wonder if they have made a boo boo on the costing hence blaming the DJ. Either way they need to put the problem right.

I hope he gets this sorted.

The agency are his only contact - he paid money directly to them (I assume).

Your friend doesn't have a contract with the DJ. Its also worrying that they provided the DJ's contact details, surely some Data Protection Breach?

They can deal with their sub contractors as they see fit.

An apologetic letter with a realistic refund would have put this to bed, and would have left their reputation intact.

Now, I'm sure you and your friend (and other guests) would never recommend using them.

Just received a call from my friend with an update.

My Friend contacted his solicitor who made a telephone call to the company concerned and told them that they were in breach of contract and unless they made an offer within 14 days they would file a case at the court to recover monies...

Any way that was yesterday, Today the company concerned has offered an 80% refund.

My Friend is going to make them wait before he accepts and has asked them for the offer to be put in writing and not by email.

They have also sent a large bouquet of flowers to his wife...

He went on to say that it was the best £85 + VAT he has ever spent on a solicitor.

I am still shocked that the Entertainment Company acted in this way in the first instance.

I am surprised that they still have a business if this is how they deal with complaints. I was always thought that the customer always took priority as they pay your wages....But what would I know.

I dare say they could have offered less if they had delt with this earlier (your friends offer of 15% must be ringing in their ears now!).

If you consider the services they did provide;

Band, Disco, Adult bouncy castle, Rodeo Bull, laser shooting game and table magician.

Out of which, the Band played for ~25mins, and the DJ;

The disco had been there all day

It was unfortunate that the DJ's gear failed at the peak of the night, but he had already been there working for quite a few hours.

So- I would have broken down the costs;

-Bouncy Castle

-Rodeo

-Laser

-Magician

as 100% chargeable.

The DJ - I really don't know! If he was playing from mid-afternoon, then he's still provided 7hrs work.

Pro-ratered @ his hourly rate with an additional discount?

Band - well, they offered "costs only", which at £35 was a fair and honest price, they did play for nearly 30mins.

15% would have been a fair refund, but now they are probably out of pocket (I assume they sub out the Rodeo/Laser/Magician/Bouncy Castle)

Lesson learnt by them, I guess!

Good result for your friend.

Excellent result. There is a down side though, Guess who will be out of work and probably out of Pocket.

You guessed it....the poor DJ. Not his gear, and by the sounds of things not his fault but he will take the fall for this.

Big companies IMO are the worse for customer services and i despise dealing with any of them. They are quick to sell you stuff but when things go wrong you dont have a hope in hell.

I say this as im about to go to the ombudman about a certain telecommunications company for the second time in 18 months. :damn:

I'm not surprised that some DJ's are treating customers like they do, forums are littered everyday with evidence that they can't treat each other with professional respect and due courtesy, not to mention fall outs over payments and promised fee's when work is passed between them!

Do you really expect some leopards to change their spots? :rolleyes:

Guess who will be out of work and probably out of Pocket.

You guessed it....the poor DJ. Not his gear, and by the sounds of things not his fault but he will take the fall for this.

Perhaps it might give him the impotus to purchase his own equipment and go it alone, save him getting :crap: on in the future.