Dj's United

Hi guys, last sat night i did a wedding disco in a fairly compact but longish hall with a low ceiling..

I had played there before but had used my full system - last sat was a budget booking so i bought my full range passive Waudio 400w rms moulded cabs, 1000w amp, along with 8 channel rotary mixer & Laptop running traktor pro.

I did notice the sound was really lacking in bass so i eq'd it to 70% bass in traktor, this seemed to produce a fatter sound but did not really produce any extra sound pressure, just fattened up the mid/top and so it seemed there was still a lack of bass. I have looked for a simple hardware in line eq, but it seems no one makes one. (Thought that would possibly solve it)

So my options are:

accept that it was the venue and that 80s music (that was the theme of the night) dont have much bass in them anyway

get a hardware EQ (maybe replace mixer)

replace speakers with active models with built in EQ.. (any reccomendations?)

Any tips from you experienced guys?

Also for those whom remember i am still running my EVL pro star/scan with no micro controller :( Although the star is in auto program mode and does create an amazing show.

cheers guys!

Dan in cloudy cornwall

Edited by Dan allanthemsdisco

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

Adding Bass in Traktor will cause its internal limiter to kick in and won't actually help much, in fact it makes it sound worse over all.

Best thing is external EQ on a mixer in this case...

Cheers

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

anyone who has lived in cornwall will understand that there is a cashflow problem, hence i do a basic setup for a reduced cost. Thats what the customer asked for, hence, no bass bins.

The venue was Tregedna Farm Lodge in Maenporth, nr Falmouth (Where i am based) If you worked there i guess you probably remember the old clubs (several got closed down since then) my old Dj friend Kris Kool used to frequent! - He is here DJing - where were you based?

To you guys wondering why i am unable to find the eq i want is because i was looking for a small, inline eq which would not add to the gear i already carry. I will need to change mixer i guess (i like my mixer!)

Although i must say looking at active tops has me rather inticed! I am considering a American Audio VMS4 for my next purchase and if i get it ill do a review on here but thats not happened quite yet!

Cheers 4 ur advice guys!

anyone who has lived in cornwall will understand that there is a cashflow problem, hence i do a basic setup for a reduced cost. Thats what the customer asked for, hence, no bass bins.

The venue was Tregedna Farm Lodge in Maenporth, nr Falmouth (Where i am based) If you worked there i guess you probably remember the old clubs (several got closed down since then) my old Dj friend Kris Kool used to frequent! - He is here DJing - where were you based?

To you guys wondering why i am unable to find the eq i want is because i was looking for a small, inline eq which would not add to the gear i already carry. I will need to change mixer i guess (i like my mixer!)

Although i must say looking at active tops has me rather inticed! I am considering a American Audio VMS4 for my next purchase and if i get it ill do a review on here but thats not happened quite yet!

Cheers 4 ur advice guys!

The fact that there is a "cashflow problem" does not stop you taking in the equipment required to get the sound you want from your system though does it!!

And I too lived in and wa based out of Falmouth until I took my show national with one of the larger agencies in the 80's.

By the way how are Kernow Entertainments doing these days?

Graham and Steve were excellent back then.

The fact that there is a "cashflow problem" does not stop you taking in the equipment required to get the sound you want from your system though does it!!

And I too lived in and wa based out of Falmouth until I took my show national with one of the larger agencies in the 80's.

By the way how are Kernow Entertainments doing these days?

Graham and Steve were excellent back then.

No this is true - although i know the cabs i were using are capable of a better sound especially in such a small venue, i will try the hardware eq option and if thats no good ill have to replace them with better cabs.

I have never used Kernow entertainment but may get in touch with them! How did you end up going "national"?

As far as your EQ problem goes,for the money Behringer are a good budget EQ.

If you want a top notch EQ then look at B.S.S or Klark technic but I would think they are way overkill based on the equipment you have told us you are using.

As regards the national thing,back in the 80's there were a couple of management companys that used to put together national/international tours for large roadshows/videoshows,working anywhere from youth centres through Military camps to Top hotels etc.

One was based in Bedfordshire and was called Dings Entertainments and is still going as far as I am aware.

The other was based in Brighton and was called Spectrum International.This was the one I was contracted to,unfortunately no longer running as the owner was murdered.

Great times were had though going all over the place!!

As far as your EQ problem goes,for the money Behringer are a good budget EQ.

If you want a top notch EQ then look at B.S.S or Klark technic but I would think they are way overkill based on the equipment you have told us you are using.

As regards the national thing,back in the 80's there were a couple of management companys that used to put together national/international tours for large roadshows/videoshows,working anywhere from youth centres through Military camps to Top hotels etc.

One was based in Bedfordshire and was called Dings Entertainments and is still going as far as I am aware.

The other was based in Brighton and was called Spectrum International.This was the one I was contracted to,unfortunately no longer running as the owner was murdered.

Great times were had though going all over the place!!

mmmm nice one cant blame you for making that decision!

Whilst im still relatively single (not married yet etc) i would love to do the same! I would like to do more work outside cornwall and did try asking about reputable agencies in london/south east but the thread was closed for some reason... If you know of a few please pm me. If your ever down this way please get in touch, i like meeting experienced DJs

Cheers again

Dan