Dj's United

The Importance Of Backup

Hi all, just wanted to make a quick point about having spare equipment with you at gigs. I would guess the vast majority of DJ's that use this forum already do this but for those who don't, last saturday night one of my speakers cut out mid gig, then strangely came back in when I mixed over to the next song. I always keep a box with all sorts of spare leads next to me just in case, and it was a faulty phono cable that was the problem as it turns out. I frantically replaced it and problem solved. I can't figure out how this happened as the cables are permanently wired into a flight case with my equipment and I never have any reason to move or fiddle with them. Anyway my point is never to take a chance with this sort of thing, I certainly know one or two guys in my area who don't carry much spares, I'm the opposite I carry spare cd players, soundcard and mixer etc, and would carry a second PA if i could fit it in the car LOL. Definately I think at the very least a selection of cables and a spare media player of some sort that could get you through the night should be just as essential as any other part of your kit. What do the rest of you carry as backup?

www.tipperarypartydj.com

I carry a SDHC playback with basic mixer;

I also normally take a laptop.

Lots of cables and many cable adapters.

Toolbox with fuses/screwdrivers/dvm/spanner/torch etc

Speakers are all active. A power problem in the venue could blow both speakers, but would probably take everything else out...

In reality, I expect one speaker to fail, and the remaining speaker would continue to work.

Bare essential backup kit IMO is;

dvm (or some means of testing fuses)

replacement fuses

spare cables

screwdrivers

It would be great to carry a 2nd PA (I can now), and I'll weigh up the benefits to carrying it around.

Luckily, most of my gigs are within 10mins of my home :-) so I may take the back-up PA for futher afield gigs, but leave it at home for local ones.

Jas

Backup Amp,

Usually CM-203 all-in-one mixer/cd-player (as mixer & cd player backup).

CD players (as backup anyway) and CDs

Now carry a backup netbook too (which is actually in use for the lighting side). This can be fired up with a couple of thousand tracks on it if need be.

Don't carry spare speakers - no space, but as long as I treat them well they should be fine.

Also carry - spare XLR leads, Phono leads, jack leads, speakon leads, IEC and telefunken leads (too many normally), screwdrivers, spare bulbs. (Need a better way of storing the spare bits though)

Cheers.

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Having just gone active i face 'eggs i one basket' scenario. I cant justify dragging an amp and a pair of passive speakers around the countryside all the time and that does worry me a bit. I used to carry 2 power amps as well as a bag of cables, fuses, tools, etc etc

2 playback facilities and spare mixer is a priority

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

I carry a SDHC playback with basic mixer;

I also normally take a laptop.

Lots of cables and many cable adapters.

Toolbox with fuses/screwdrivers/dvm/spanner/torch etc

Speakers are all active. A power problem in the venue could blow both speakers, but would probably take everything else out...

In reality, I expect one speaker to fail, and the remaining speaker would continue to work.

Bare essential backup kit IMO is;

dvm (or some means of testing fuses)

replacement fuses

spare cables

screwdrivers

It would be great to carry a 2nd PA (I can now), and I'll weigh up the benefits to carrying it around.

Luckily, most of my gigs are within 10mins of my home :-) so I may take the back-up PA for futher afield gigs, but leave it at home for local ones.

Jas

Tell you what that back up is better than most DJs main kit around here.

Nik

Tell you what that back up is better than most DJs main kit around here.

Nik

Pity about the DJ :D

The Mixer was my original, which was 2nd hand for £40. Its fine, but doesn't have balanced outputs.

The playback was about £160, flightcase prob £60

Peace of mind - priceless!

I don't have this on "standby", its normally brought in and left in its case. If there was a problem, then there will be minor downtime (1 or 2mins).

A "hot" standby could be a USB based MP3 player (ie with 3.5mm jack into mixer).

Most likely problems I've seen (in my limited experience);

-IEC cabled falling out

-faulty XLR cable

-worn headphone cable

-overheating on PC

Jas

I use active speakers so no backup to them really but my console I have hercules rmx, denon dnx500 and american dj sdj2. If my laptop/hercules fails I can slide a fader over and start using the sdj2. If the denon dnx500 fails I can play straight out of both the hercules and/or the sdj2. I'm quite happy with that arrangement and obviously carry lots of extra xlrs, phonos, fuses, plugs and bulbs.

I also carry spare bulbs, however had two ELC 250w bulbs blow on Thursday night, and I only had one spare... One blew at the start and the other one blew just after the buffet break.

Interestingly both bulbs were fairly new Osram ones.... So I'm a bit surprised they blew.. (Had about 20-25hrs I think total use..) :damn:

David

DJ David Graham

As one of the guys who has to hear tales of how equipment had let its owner down at the most inopportune moment, I can only urge DJs to make sure that no single failure of any unit in the chain can bring a happy couple's night to a grinding halt! (the disco, I mean..ahem..).

I've heard of bands having to borrow a DJ's amp, DJ's having to borrow the Band's mixer, DJ's having to just stand there in silence while they wring their hands, Newleyweds sueing venues, Agencies being banned from venues, red faces all round and fisticuffs all due to equipment failure.

Ive heard and seen a second's worth of mic feedback blow a complete pair of speakers open, overheated amps shutdown and refuse to reset; both sides of a CD player refuse to read any disc; electronic crossovers fail to boot; fuses in extension leads blow at switchon...you get the idea. Dont load down the van with hoards of spare lighting..at a push a 100W twister and a ghettoblaster is better than a rig full of DMX but no sound.

Dont let it be you!!

Edited by superstardeejay

sometimes its not our fault either so you just never know

i did a gig on saturday night in a scruffy old wmc where i have done quite a few gigs. It took 6 attempts to fire up my sound system as the rcd kept tripping out. The stage has 2 sockets both on different trips and another set of sockets just off stage on another trip

I used all 3 sources thinking it was the best option. Bass bin and 1 top on one trip, lights on another and mixer etc on another (i was at a funny angle as there was an act on too) it took me ages to fire the bass bin up and i was holding my breath when the act turned up with his 2.5kw jbl rig. he used one socket for everything and there were no problems at all (he used the most reliable socket in the venue where my other top was plugged in)

The problem was the initial switch on of the bass bin, when it was fired up there were no problems at all.

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

i run virtual dj but if that fails i have cds and a numark dual cd player mounted in my rack

i have a backup amp and a backup mixer and loads of spare leads and stuff like that

have laptop with bpm, virtual dj and pcdj and twin cd deck as main source, then another laptop as spare with same programs, two cases of cds, with mixed music, box full of cables and bulbs, spare lights depending on venue.

i do use cd decks mainly and laptop as backup.

depending on function i DO carry spare speakers as i have a ford galaxy.

DJ FOGGY

PROFESSIONAL DJ+KJ+SOLO VOCALIST

WEDDING SINGER+COVERED UP DUO

TRADITIONAL SCOTTISH PIPER

S.I.A LICENCED DOOR SUPERVISOR

COVERING NORTH WEST AND UK

WEB SITE=www.makemyday2012.co.uk

E-MAIL: djfpromos2@yahoo.co.uk

MOBILE: 07591 755 743

PLI: YES

PAT TESTED: YES

MU MEMBER 490895

CRB CLEARED 09th Feb 2011

have laptop with bpm, virtual dj and pcdj and twin cd deck as main source, then another laptop as spare with same programs,

So you paid for six licences just for back up. That must have been expensive.

Nik

So you paid for six licences just for back up. That must have been expensive.

Nik

Biggest problems will be overheating and hard drive failure (even my DDS hard drive will fail one day). The odd reboot is nothing (very serious on the day thou!)

Surely the backup laptop can run a basic free music player... even Windows Media Player (or winamp) can crossfade. I would suggest this would be acceptable in the event of a catastrophic failure.

Best save the £££ on licences. You'll be saving over £280... I can't belive people buy 2 copies just in case..!

I also agree with Superstar... Apart from spare lamps, no point in wasting space with backup lighting.

Cables, Fuses, CD/SD Card playback should be the basics....

If you're providing a pro service (and charging for it), then check out your probable failure modes and ensure they are covered.

The "60 quid sids" will simply shrug their shoulders when a mixer/amp/speaker fails.

Jason

Best save the £££ on licences. You'll be saving over £280... I can't belive people buy 2 copies just in case..!

I thought that you are allowed have virtual DJ on 2 laptops as long as you are the only one using them and they are not in use at the same time? Surely you are not expected to purchase a second copy for a backup machine, I only have one laptop, CD's are my backup but I have been considering buying a backup laptop.

Virtual DJ software EULA

VIRTUALDJ SOFTWARE END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT

EULA SUMMARY:

- This license gives you the right to install and use the software on a maximum of two computers, by one person.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Interesting so do the others allow multi machine installation as I use OTSAV and that does not it is also machine locked.

Nik

Machine locked?? So if you upgrade to a new machine you have to buy a new licence, or can you contact them and get permission to switch to your new machine? I think it is very reasonable to be allowed a backup machine once the purchaser is the sole user.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Machine locked?? So if you upgrade to a new machine you have to buy a new licence, or can you contact them and get permission to switch to your new machine? I think it is very reasonable to be allowed a backup machine once the purchaser is the sole user.

Yes you contact Ots and they will allow you to move your licence. There T&Cs are one licence one machine. If you wish to have a back up you have to have two licences. I thought that was the case with most software such as Windows etc. I have not heard of say Windows 7 allowing you a back up on another machine.

But I am still amazed that a DJ who uses CD has gone out purchased two laptops then 3 4 5 or 6 legal licences just as back up. I wish I could afford that kind of thing. My otsAV is my main playout system then I have an SD card reader jobbie for first back up then my mobile phone as another I do also carry a second laptop for internet connection that has a prog on it called Sports Sound Pro that will work as a play out system also.

Nik

Yeah it does seem a little odd to pay for 3 software programs when you can only use one at a time, I only switched to laptop in the past year and bought VDJ first and was very happy with it so never saw a need to buy anything else, I am glad also that I have the option of a backup machine, IMO the licence should be issued to the individual rather than the machine, thereby allowing you have a backup, what if your laptop crashes or gets dropped and has to be repaired. I guess they have their reasons however.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Yeah it does seem a little odd to pay for 3 software programs when you can only use one at a time, I only switched to laptop in the past year and bought VDJ first and was very happy with it so never saw a need to buy anything else, I am glad also that I have the option of a backup machine, IMO the licence should be issued to the individual rather than the machine, thereby allowing you have a backup, what if your laptop crashes or gets dropped and has to be repaired. I guess they have their reasons however.

Well maybe DJF would like to explain why he choose this route of back up?

Nik

Interesting so do the others allow multi machine installation as I use OTSAV and that does not it is also machine locked.

Nik

Traktor is allowed to be installed on two machines at the same time, but I can't remember if you can use it on both at the same time.

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

How about a freebie like mixxx as a backup?

never heard of that but i suppose if it works then it would do.

i find using cd's a real pain especially with cheap cd players. when i have the bassbin on the go i cant play a cd for love nor money.