Dj's United

Most Demanding Client?

I don't think i have ever been asked any thing totally un reasonable by a client but managers of venues often ask for extra time for no extra cost which to me is unreasonable.

One venue asked me to carry on after a fight and gun shot in the car park i felt that was unreasonable when the police turned up and asked everyone to leave

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

but managers of venues often ask for extra time for no extra cost which to me is unreasonable.

General advice previously given on here, was that you counteract such approach by stating politely but pointedly that if the bar staff agree to stay on, unpaid, for the same duration and that the beer is given away over the bar free to the punters, that you'll also agree to work for nothing :D

I quoted a woman once for a wedding and she seemed keen. Her husband then got in touch and added around £150 worth of extras for this and for that and god knows what else and he wanted it for THIS price.

I politely told him I wouldn't be providing my services.

General advice previously given on here, was that you counteract such approach by stating politely but pointedly that if the bar staff agree to stay on, unpaid, for the same duration and that the beer is given away over the bar free to the punters, that you'll also agree to work for nothing :D

Superb :D

Some time ago, I did work for an agency. I had a pub booking which I was told was 6-11pm. I thought it a bit long for pub work but each to their own and they paid extra.

On arriving, I discovered that the first 2 hours were for children and they expected us to entertain them and play musical games. The customer "forgot" to mention this on booking.

I don't do (well, HATE) kids parties. :wall: :wall:

You want me to play what?

Secretary of NADJ, Member of SEDA

Magic Moments.. making your moment magic

i hope its ok to use this phrase but i do actually target the "Pink Environment" and although i would maybe not use the word demanding, i find they do plan everything down to the smallest detail and they are fantastic to work for im always treated really well and and in my experience they never try and haggle its a case of they want the best they know it costs more and there willing to pay for it. and also there the best part crowd you can get all up for a great time with no hint of that is it going to kick off atmosphere.

:cense:EDIT:cense:

Gary (GDK)

Changed an word - this could cause a lot offense.

Edited by Gary (GDK)

07843106107 mobile

01752-296680 office

Ever had a demanding client?, what were the things that they expected you to do?.

????

Share..

About 10 years ago I had a guy ring me TWO WEEKS before his wedding, saying that his Dj had let him down, would I be willing to work 8 hours, under his instructions. I said no problem but could he e-mail the special requirements needed and I would let him have a price. This is more or less his requirements-

3 PM- Play back ground music during meal

4PM - Provide mic for speeches

4-30- Move DJ equipment from hall into side room and provide music and games for the kids (chart music only)

6-00 Set up equipment in reception room UPSTAIRS!

6-45- Play set play list IN ORDER THAT IT IS WRITTEN. DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ON THE MIC. DO NOT TAKE ANY REQUESTS.

8PM- announce 1st dance

8-20- Announce buffet and also announce that NO REQUESTS CAN BE MADE DURING THE NIGHT

9-30- Play 5 slow songs from the list of acceptable songs provided.

10PM- play a number of 60s songs (from the list provided) for his Mum

10-15- play list again in the order listed (it has been timed to the minute)

10-50- Organise the guests to "make an arch", to see them off.

11-00 Finish

Also, the Groom was a DJ himself and he said that he would have done the gig for £200!

No wonder he had problems finding a DJ.

Surprisingly enough I turned him down

About 10 years ago I had a guy ring me TWO WEEKS before his wedding, saying that his Dj had let him down, would I be willing to work 8 hours, under his instructions. I said no problem but could he e-mail the special requirements needed and I would let him have a price. This is more or less his requirements-

4-30- Move DJ equipment from hall into side room and provide music and games for the kids (chart music only)

6-45- Play set play list IN ORDER THAT IT IS WRITTEN. DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ON THE MIC. DO NOT TAKE ANY REQUESTS.

8PM- announce 1st dance

8-20- Announce buffet and also announce that NO REQUESTS CAN BE MADE DURING THE NIGHT

11-00 Finish

Also, the Groom was a DJ himself and he said that he would have done the gig for £200!

No wonder he had problems finding a DJ.

Surprisingly enough I turned him down

£200!!! I'd be looking for about £600 to do that, it sounds like an absolute nightmare, in fact no matter what money was involved I don't think I'd do it. Gigs like that never end well.

I did have one client who mixed and recorded his own playlist and gave it to me on a CD for his wedding, he also claimed he was a DJ. It was shocking to say the least and the floor was dead, his song selction was actually ok but he was mixing genres, and putting slow songs together with much faster ones etc, I took it upon myself to change it and got a few people on the floor, and he came storming over and told me to put his mix back on. As they say, he who pays the piper etc. I have changed my policy since that night and no longer accept set playlists, as that night was just embaressing.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

8PM- announce 1st dance

11-00 Finish

I don't see a problem with this (The price maybe).

We are a service industry and if your client wants the above and is willing to pay for it then you provide it.

Just think of all the worse things you could be doing for a few hours on say a Saturday night. I think there are some vacancies at my local McD's

Don't fear a closed play list, embrace it I did a gig two weeks back like the above and I got a second gig on the spot from that one because I had fulfilled the bride and grooms wishes.

You may remember it was the same gig where I was on line asking if any others were at gigs on line.

Nik

Nik

I don't see a problem with this (The price maybe).

We are a service industry and if your client wants the above and is willing to pay for it then you provide it.

Just think of all the worse things you could be doing for a few hours on say a Saturday night. I think there are some vacancies at my local McD's

As your first sentence intimates, this client wasn't willing to pay for it. Not a sensible price, anyway.

What on earth do vacancies at McDonalds have to do with it?

As your first sentence intimates, this client wasn't willing to pay for it. Not a sensible price, anyway.

What on earth do vacancies at McDonalds have to do with it?

Yes I know that Steve but this is a debate and so I stretched my imagination a little, I did not think that the OP and subsequent posters were only quibbling over the price. As for the McD's part of my post I used it as an analogie what would you prefer a few hours as a DJ or serving in a McD's?

Sorry if my post was not as clear as I thought it was.

Nik

Edited by UKHero

Yes I know that Steve but this is a debate and so I stretched my imagination a little, I did not think that the OP and subsequent posters were only quibbling over the price. As for the McD's part of my post I used it as an analogie what would you prefer a few hours as a DJ or serving in a McD's?

Sorry if my post was not as clear as I thought it was.

Nik

The analogy was quite clear but I still don't get it.

Are you suggesting that the likely alternative to working as a mobile DJ is a shift in a Mcdonalds?

The analogy was quite clear but I still don't get it.

Are you suggesting that the likely alternative to working as a mobile DJ is a shift in a Mcdonalds?

No as some one who is fortunate enough as say yourself to earn quite a good living DJing Why should we moan when brides want us to provide a service in the style the require. What I am saying is out of the two options surely DJing is more preferable and lucrative than spending your Saturday night flipping burgers in McD.

Look it ain't important I know what I mean. :D

Nik

I did have one client who mixed and recorded his own playlist and gave it to me on a CD for his wedding, he also claimed he was a DJ. It was shocking to say the least and the floor was dead, his song selction was actually ok but he was mixing genres, and putting slow songs together with much faster ones etc, I took it upon myself to change it and got a few people on the floor, and he came storming over and told me to put his mix back on. As they say, he who pays the piper etc. I have changed my policy since that night and no longer accept set playlists, as that night was just embaressing.

I understand the difficulty some of us have with these type of demands. The way I get over it is to make it clear to the clients that they are hiring a sound system and lights plus an operator, not a DJ (and of course also making it very clear they are not allowed to operate the equipment themselves). So for that event I leave my DJ hat at home and just push the buttons for them. For me, thinking differently about my role for that night makes me feel more comfortable about it.

I understand the difficulty some of us have with these type of demands. The way I get over it is to make it clear to the clients that they are hiring a sound system and lights plus an operator, not a DJ (and of course also making it very clear they are not allowed to operate the equipment themselves). So for that event I leave my DJ hat at home and just push the buttons for them. For me, thinking differently about my role for that night makes me feel more comfortable about it.

Bang on :Thumbup:

You get paid your kit earns its keep and most importantly your client gets the event they want.

We can all bemoan how much of a disaster it might be but it is the paying customers choice. Hey if any of you don't want to do these gigs and prefer to sit at home or work in McD's lol then that's fine send the client to me.

Nik

Hey Guys,

I can see where both parties are coming from with this.

Firstly, in my opinion the £200 is a joke, set up and pack down 3 times, kids games and 8 hours work even though you wouldn't earn that at McD's but we offer a professional service not a couple of Big Macs.

I find it difficult sometimes with playlists to accept that some people will plan their whole evening down to the last minute but they do pay the money and this gives them the right to have it done their way.

But then you think, what's the point of hiring a DJ, just put a CD player in the corner and have done and save some money.

I had a similar gig a few months ago. The groom came up to me and said that he wanted me to only play from the playlist and nothing else.

NO requests to be taken and he doesnt care who asks including the Bride!!!!

Couldnt believe what I was hearing and the amount of abuse we took because we couldnt play requests was unreal.

Maybe we should go back to the good old days and say to clients you can pick your 1st dance and then the rest is up to us!!!

Anyway, enough ranting on.

Dave

Hey Guys,

I can see where both parties are coming from with this.

Firstly, in my opinion the £200 is a joke, set up and pack down 3 times, kids games and 8 hours work even though you wouldn't earn that at McD's but we offer a professional service not a couple of Big Macs.

I find it difficult sometimes with playlists to accept that some people will plan their whole evening down to the last minute but they do pay the money and this gives them the right to have it done their way.

But then you think, what's the point of hiring a DJ, just put a CD player in the corner and have done and save some money.

I had a similar gig a few months ago. The groom came up to me and said that he wanted me to only play from the playlist and nothing else.

NO requests to be taken and he doesnt care who asks including the Bride!!!!

Couldnt believe what I was hearing and the amount of abuse we took because we couldnt play requests was unreal.

Maybe we should go back to the good old days and say to clients you can pick your 1st dance and then the rest is up to us!!!

Anyway, enough ranting on.

Dave

Hi Dave yes I agree on the price but as I keep saying the customer is king. If you have problems at the gig refer them to the groom.

Nik

i do offer an equipment only service with the choice of having an on site operator in case of any problems or a set up and collection service where the event organiser nominates a person who will be operating the equipment who will be briefed by myself on how to turn the mic on and off ect they provide there own music device and this has been proven to be very popular, i would certainly steer them towards this package when it is a strict my playlist no requests situation.

07843106107 mobile

01752-296680 office

No as some one who is fortunate enough as say yourself to earn quite a good living DJing Why should we moan when brides want us to provide a service in the style the require. What I am saying is out of the two options surely DJing is more preferable and lucrative than spending your Saturday night flipping burgers in McD.

Look it ain't important I know what I mean. :D

Nik

I agree with the first sentence but I still don't get why the burgers bit is in there! :wacko:

I agree the customer is king within the services i offer , i dont offer that sort of service so in that case i would pass them to a provider who does.

I dont offer toast master or MC as part of my services so again i would pass that on.

I do offer a limited amount of services and within those i do them as best i can and within reasonable customer requests and i often go beyond the strictest definition of those services for customers , i under promise and over deliver ..but in the example quoted , i dont work that way and that is my choice. I am a DJ and karaoke host not a portable jukebox. I do this job for the love of it and because i enjoy it , my happiness , smiles and dancing at my decks is real , genuine and not forced.

Working for clients with those demands and criteria i simply wouldnt be giving them the service they require. That would not be good for either party. So as i say i have no problem saying sorry i can't help you but i know someone who can.

I seem to be lucky in that i get more than enough work from people i can help with the services i offer so i never just chase a job just for the money.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

That's exactly what we did. But you know the score once the drink kicks in!!

But for the people who dont ask for requests and are sitting there looking at you as though you have 3 heads, it looks like you are a poor DJ.

But as I stated in my earlier post, the client always gets what the client wants.

But we are never going to please everybody.

quote name='UKHero' date='Aug 10 2010, 02:02 PM' post='255763']

Hi Dave yes I agree on the price but as I keep saying the customer is king. If you have problems at the gig refer them to the groom.

Nik

Rob,

I totally agree with what you are saying, why book a party if you dont want to party???

I think the biggest problem I find with some bookings is the internet itself!!

Anybody can now get hold of any kind of music and this plays a big part in what people want at their party.

Prime example, I did a wedding a couple of weeks ago and the playlist was great, real party songs and I thought Bingo, gonna be a top night.

How wrong was I?? Nobody wanted to dance or party all night until 11.40pm when 4 young gilrs, around 18-19yrs old came up and requested a song. I thought great at last, Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights!!!!

The point i'm trying to make is that some DJ's aren't being left to do a job. Download sites are now dictating playlists and even some customers expect you to be able to download on the night.

I'm all for a good party but when clients do pay good money for your services it is hard to turn down.

I know it's not all about the money but we do it to make a living.

Thats not a fair analogy anyway, at McDonalds you have prospects! smile icon

Thats not a fair analogy anyway, at McDonalds you have prospects! smile icon

:funjokeandlaugh:

..and you get smiley faces on your name badge too - or have they done away with these now?

Not been to a McD's in a while !

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]