Dj's United

Dju Member Website Review - Dance Sounds Disco

Ok Guys, its time to show my revamped site. Its on the following URL for the time being;

http://cms.dancesoundsdisco.co.uk/

On a technical level, its based on Joomla, with some great early help from Alex to help me cut through some of the Jargon (so I didn't need to read any manuals..lol)

To be done;

-Phone Numbers/Email on the Header

-Meta Keywords+Description on most pages

-Tweak DJ Event Planner to use my background (its currently on an old background)

-Testimonials

-Blog

-I want to integrate my code for grabbing the Top40 Charts (scraped from the BBC site once/week), may possibly link to Amazon/iTunes.

-More "call to action" stuff - buttons to take them to check my availability.

-Google Analytics

-Double Check security..

-Need to tweak front-page to show some kind of discoy type images, its currently a bit plain/non descript.

I'm strongly pushing the Online Planning side, I've done a few gigs where the B&G have entered the playlist and feedback has been excellent.

Anyway.... I hope there isn't anything too wrong.

Some content may look to be doubled up, but it should be different text (with roughly the same meaning), for SEO purposes.

The Joomla template is not as clean as I would like, but it IS a flexible system, and adding content is much easier.

Anyway - Please provide your comments below!

Cheers,

Jason

Heya fella....

I love it! Really fresh design, something I've not seen in a DJ site before.

Just a few tips though (writing them as I find them so if I repeat myself someway, sorry! :) )

1) Client Login: When a client logins in, you lose the site. Try creating an HTML page with the login code on it, and placing that file in an iframe. This will allow the client to stay on your site, but the DJEP client area will show in the " content " area of your site -- Have a look at mysite if you need an example ( or call me, and I'll explain in more detail ... I currently use 1 iframe to do this, one of my design clients I had to use 2!! frames to achieve what they wanted! grrr!)

2) Check availability.... again use an html page and iframe it. It will keep the client on the site and it will remove the popup/newwindow/newtab from opening.

3) Music Database : Personally, I think a little code tweaking could be helpful here

<iframe frameborder="0" height="500" ........ to avoid duplicate scrollbars try changing height to 1956 ... I found this removed duplicate scrollbars, making it appear neater.

Got a few more, but I need sleep! LOL...... I'll post again tomorrow :) xx

PS : Seo stuff..... Joomla now have an "internal link builder" component.... add it to your site and set which words link to which article and it will automatically do this for you... but like WikiPedia.

The other thing to mention is, make sure your page descriptons and titles are keyword friendly.

Currently one of your pages has :

<meta name="title" content="Weddings" />

<meta name="description" content="" />

In Joomla, the system parameters for the article allows you to change this :) This will massively increase your ranking.

There are some SEO components available for joomla 1.5 however they have varying results, and as such I've not touched them. If you google Mobile Disco Portsmouth or similar, I seem to be fairly well found :)

Edited by AlexEntertainment

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

Cheers Alex!

I did mention the keywords+descriptions;

Meta Keywords+Description on most pages

I'll be working on those- quite a few more pages than my current site..

I think the default SEO / Nice URLS are fine. Dashes are counted as spaces, so "online-event-planner" is seen as 3 separate words.

The ecommerce platform I use has a similar system, and works well.

Good tip on the double-iframes fix for DJEP. I've yet to fully test how its working, and did enlarge the iframe size on the music search, but I've since re-entered the code.

It's a pain its not more "ajaxy" like my current site;

http://www.dancesoundsdisco.co.uk/music.html

But clients appear to be getting on ok with it (so far via direct links)

Jas

Now thats a very very nice site indeed .

love the look , style and content , seems balanced more towards the wedding market in look and content but still very accessable to clients wanting other types of parties.

There is one tiny tiny thing i dont like and i dont know why ,its a completley irrational thing , i just dont like the cake decoration image ..the grooms face reminds me of a creepy ventriliquists dummy.

great job I'm very jealous ! lol :Thumbup:

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread..... but just wanted to let you know the i frame method no longer works thanks to Microsoft ! :( Sorry

-------------------------------------------

Web : http://www.alexentertainment.co.uk

Web : http://www.alexskaraoke.co.uk

Phone : 07525 645750 / 0800 612 4979

email : alex@alexentertainment.co.uk

--------------------------------------------

Sorry to bring up an old thread..... but just wanted to let you know the i frame method no longer works thanks to Microsoft ! :( Sorry

To be honest - iFrames are a bit "dodgy" anyway.. I'm not a fan, and modern web technology should make this kind of thing redundant!

I'm not entirely sure if its MS not following the specs, or the other Browsers being insecure!

Either way, by using the default system, I'm not getting complaints - and clients are happy that I offer this service.

Since putting the site up, I've made a few changes ;

-Adding my contact details on the header

-Availabilty Check on the homepage

-Other info on the homepage

-Minor text tweaks

-Images are automatically watermarked

-Basic blog (for SEO)

Who's next?? PM me to have your site reviewed!