Dj's United

No Officer... It Wasn't Me!

I've been Djing for years and this is the very first time that this has even happened. Well happened that I've noticed, so I would like to ask your advice for next time it happens.

Basically...

Tonight at my residency there was a youngish (for want of a better phrase chav) lad came up to the DJ booth.

Normally when people come to the DJ booth they ask for requests.

I saw him coming over and when he arrived at the wall I leant over so he could talk to me and he just ignored me. I asked him if he had come over for a request and he just stared me blankly in the face saying that he had just come over to see what was next. Fair enough I thought and I told him what was next on my playlist.

2 songs later he came over and stared blankly over at the screen and mumbbled how the song playing wasn't OMG by Usher and stared at the laptop.

He must have done this about 4 times before I statred getting really uncomfortable with his presence and just basically wanted rid of him as there was one point where he had stood there staring at me and the monitor for about 3 ot 4 songs. Well to be quite honest, his constant staring at my monitor and staring at me made me feel really uncomfortable and I was really close to pressing the bouncer button and getting the bouncers to get rid of him - To be honest he had more than enough to drink and I could tell just by looking that wasn't all he had had if you know what I mean!?!?

Anyway, this brings me to my question... How would you handle someone like this who is winding you up more than ever before?

I know this may just be him catching me after a bad weekend when I'm on a short fuse but I really do hope that someone else has had experience of this so they can help me for next time it happens!

wow you have a bouncer button !

Ok i am NOT suggesting you do this ,never put yourself in danger . i am only saying what i do at my residencies.. I embarass them ,nuisance people .. to make them move by poking fun at them ..i would say over the mic while he is staring at your laptop something like " sorry mate i can't get facebook on it to tell your mum you will be late home tonight it's just for Djing" or something flipant like that. I just make up stuff on the spot that is suitable for the situation , without being there and guaging the tone and atmostshere its hard to say what i would have actually done

i try to use humour or being cheeky to stop them hanging about but i have had high customers go forehead to forehead with me on stage while i was singing before now ...even though i was trying to move away sometime people are so out of it they don't realise what they are doing he wanted a karaoke request i made a comment about lynx really working but it does also seem to attract people you don't fancy as well, and thanks mate its really flattering but your just not my type. he left the stage. luckily i can take care of myself and i am pretty confident but i would say don't do this sort of thing if you are in danger or if you feel you may spark off trouble.

I left a recent residency due to gun shots in the car park so i do know how scary things can get , dealing with drugged and drunk people is sadly all too common in my area and also dealing with "10 men wanna be gangsters "is also par for the course.

The way i deal with a lot of these is ...find a nicer residency or do more functions

I wish i had a bouncer button that seems to be the solution to your problem to me

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

Thanks Robster!

The bouncer button is all well and good but I wasn't shown it till about a month into the residency, and only after things kicked off BIG STYLE one night - There were about 10 drink fueled lads fighting with each othr which resulted in the place emptying, blood being everywhere and me and the barstaff left twiddling our thumbs afterwards so just had an early night.

Also a couple of weeks ago things looked as though they were gonna kick off on the dancefloor so I pressed it and nothing happened as the panic button system hadn't actually been turned on!

Also a couple of weeks ago things looked as though they were gonna kick off on the dancefloor so I pressed it and nothing happened as the panic button system hadn't actually been turned on!

Arr i see why its called the bouncer panic button

you press it

no bouncers turn up

so you panic..lol

Seriously your place sounds rough, reminds me when a internet friend (no nudge nudge wink wink HE was a fellow karaoke host) came up to Manchester to see me , we went out for a few beers got drunk ended up in a place in my home town we were dancing on the floor when someones ear went sliding along the dance floor!

He was a little shocked and hasn't been to visit my home town since!

With venues with the threat of violence , and intimidation and if a few days before going to the gig you get worked up , its time to move on in my book, life is literally too short.

If however you live for the danger or on the whole you can put up with the rough with the smooth , then working out different stratagies to cope with these sorts is a good idea , I always try to be friends with bouncers, the odd drink bought and tune played for the bouncer/s can really help.

Rob Star Entertainments
Facebook page
landline 0161 265 3421
Mobile: 0777 99 777 26

The venue isn't that rough really.

It's an amazing place, it's kind of one big family as all the locals look out for each other and try to stop any trouble before it starts.

I know that if I was ever "taken outside" by a punter I would be safe as all the regulars would soon sort it out.

I just had a bit of a bad weekend and was in a mood at work last night - something that RARELY happens. The missus always takes me over to my mam and dads about 3 hours before I start my residency so I can just chill out. I hate her driving me straight there as more often than not she is moaning on about random stuff or having a go at me about something which puts me in a mood. Like I say though, I'm rarely in a mood at work, as you say Robster, life is too short!

I reckon he was a bedroom DJ who was a bit off his head just curious about your system, but due to his over indulgance couldn't string two words together to actually ask you anything.

But if he was making you feel uncomfortable I'd have definitely had a quiet word with security and let them move him along for you - that's their job, you're there to play music.

Best tip I had from some security guys was never park right outside the entrance of a pub - if they have to chuck people out they end up bouncing off your car!

I've been Djing for years and this is the very first time that this has even happened. Well happened that I've noticed, so I would like to ask your advice for next time it happens.

Basically...

Tonight at my residency there was a youngish (for want of a better phrase chav) lad came up to the DJ booth.

Normally when people come to the DJ booth they ask for requests.

I saw him coming over and when he arrived at the wall I leant over so he could talk to me and he just ignored me. I asked him if he had come over for a request and he just stared me blankly in the face saying that he had just come over to see what was next. Fair enough I thought and I told him what was next on my playlist.

2 songs later he came over and stared blankly over at the screen and mumbbled how the song playing wasn't OMG by Usher and stared at the laptop.

He must have done this about 4 times before I statred getting really uncomfortable with his presence and just basically wanted rid of him as there was one point where he had stood there staring at me and the monitor for about 3 ot 4 songs. Well to be quite honest, his constant staring at my monitor and staring at me made me feel really uncomfortable and I was really close to pressing the bouncer button and getting the bouncers to get rid of him - To be honest he had more than enough to drink and I could tell just by looking that wasn't all he had had if you know what I mean!?!?

Anyway, this brings me to my question... How would you handle someone like this who is winding you up more than ever before?

I know this may just be him catching me after a bad weekend when I'm on a short fuse but I really do hope that someone else has had experience of this so they can help me for next time it happens!

I get it a lot! As a volunteer police man in my spare time I can usually handle such idiots, and can tell when something "isnt quite right" and may kick off... better to be safe than sorry. Anybody acting weird or in a concerning way gets thrown out my bars, end of. Doorstaff always support me and remove anyone I ask... its best to keep the doorstaff as your friends even if you don't like them really.

If I had tried to speak to him in your situation and he didn't speak back or give a decent reason for just "staring" at me I'd have them removed from the bar.

Just last night I had someone say to me "have you got nothing else apart from this f..... sh.....". Im not at work to be abused :D

Edited by JonWhittaker