Dj's United

Best Active Speakers?

Yes and side by side in a comparison the RCF's would win hands down over most speakers I am sure,

Well I wouldn't exactly that, RCF make damn good speakers but a set of Turbosound Milan cabs are better than say, the RCF Art525A. Regarding clients probably not being able to tell, I know a lot of people in my town who dont know :cense: about speakers comment to me how good the sound quality is, so I think you need to give clients also, the benefit of the doubt that they might very well be able to tell, I mean anyone who knows what good sound is will know. Just because they dont comment on the sound being good doesn't mean they cant tell.

Norfolk DJ,

I wouldn't say B&C are the best in the world because there's so many driver manufacturers out there that are top quality, like RCF, JBL, Precision Devices etc...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the end of the day 99.99% of clients won't notice what speakers you are using or comment on sound

Clients don't give a damn about makes of speakers or how much they cost, any more than they give a flying damn about pli, pat, pro-dub etc (until the rare event where it becomes a second hand request by a venue).

However people do and will notice a poor sounding system or one which is distorted through being driven beyond its design spec and into clipping making it painful to listen too.

Just as restaurants rely on the quality of their food to applease and ensure continuing loyalty and return of customers, we rely on the music we are playing actually being delivered and heard by the punters and the lyrics of the songs and any mic use being clear and distinguishable. Using the anology further, you wouldn't care what brand of oil the chef uses to fry the food, nor the brand label on his Catering stove and nor would any 'normal' person even think of asking for such information, as long as the food was good quality and made for an enjoyable visit the client is entirely satisfied, and will return and recommend on those strengths. Well, just the same criteria applies in our case.

I would also rate a decent quality sound system as a higher priority over lighting effects. If I only had £1500 budget to spend I would use the bulk of that on auditioning and buying sound equipment, rather than adding more DMX effects or buying that new laser...and would recommend others to prioritise in the same manner.

One other thing to consider, whilst spending more money on speakers may ensure quality, it doesn't always ensure reliability. Point in fact, I paid the best part of £2000 for a Bose L1 system which, since moving to 'tiny venue' riddled Derbyshire have had only very occasional use at a venue back down south and yet failed after just 3 years of ownership. In contrast all of my other Amp-Speaker combinations have all worked flawlessly and every single one of them has outlasted and outshone the Bose in terms of reliability by almost 10 years, and have all cost a fraction of the L1 to purchase. Judge for yourself, in nuts and bolts terms, which offers the best value for money and reliability per £ to those handling the purse strings.

More surprisingly, non of my clients or regulars at a venue in the South where I used to still use the L1's have asked me what happened to them and where they have got to, and why I have recently replaced them with ordinary speakers :rolleyes: . I've certainly lost no business or goodwill from reverting temporarily back from a 2x £2000 system to a mid priced seven year old passive & amp combination so its probably safe to assume that the L1's never won me any additional business, loyalty or clients in the first place and that no client has ever stipulated or asked me to use the L1's specifically. So as a real life working example, given that no clients or venues have even noticed or commented on their absence now they have crapped out, I guess that they don't really care, as the music is still clear, loud enough and distinguishable.

Love me - Love my speakers :D

Whilst I still put full empathsis on buying a reasonably sized, mid quality sound system I certainly wouldn't go OTT on one costing £2000 a speaker ever again. £1000 a pair is around my limit - given the sour taste the Bose L1 has left and even £1000 buys you quite a lot of speaker from a known brand these days, certainly it will secure one which will give your clients crystal clear audio and easily handle most of the family functions which the bulk of Mobile DJ's cover routinely. Buying anything beyond that IMO is only extended to the personal expectations of the DJ and their budget, however whether those expectations will be reflected and shared by the client (or the additional investment even noticed) is debateable, but perhaps this is why some DJ's have to constantly promote and advertise how much they recently spent on new equipment, as perhaps it is not immediately clear or evident to the client unless it is actually highlighted :rolleyes:

Clients don't give a damn about makes of speakers or how much they cost, any more than they give a flying damn about pli, pat, pro-dub etc (until the rare event where it becomes a second hand request by a venue).

However people do and will notice a poor sounding system or one which is distorted through being driven beyond its design spec and into clipping making it painful to listen too.

Most don't care, but I've picked up 2 gigs in the past months when the client did query the make of speakers. One client was a sound engineer who was getting married and the other was a roadie.

The trouble with a poor sounding system is that the client will not know until the gig is well under way. In effect you need to make the client aware that the equipment/speakers which you use are superior to other discos, giving a clear sound. An advantage, but about 75% of the people I speake to, don't care :damn:

but I've picked up 2 gigs in the past months when the client did query the make of speakers. One client was a sound engineer who was getting married and the other was a roadie.

A bit of a Busman's holiday there then :D . Maybe I should have added in the post that the only people who give a damn about brands and types of equipment are either other DJ's or those involved with or have vested interests in similar occupations (band members, roadies, engineers, disco equipment retailers etc).

I still find it strange and very tiring in some ways, in that some Dj's and their like will always question and forward assess each other on the merits of what equipment they use or whether they are a Digital DJ or CD / Vinyl DJ :wall: rather than their actual entertaining skills, and our industry does seem isolated in marking territory and the levy of criticism based on these facts, rather than reputation and more importantly client feedback :pro:

When you compare this with other professions wholly involved with visiting and assessing their peers, brand envy never seems to be regarded with such importance. For example, how often have you seen Gordon Ramsey's mention to the owner of a Restaurant that if they don't use the same catering equipment or brand of knives as he personally uses or endorses then the Restaurant is a failure and the Chef is crap. Sure there is sometimes the point is made and raised on the importance of using good quality ingrediants and correctly working equipment, but no actual penis envy or criticism levied on their personal choice of Kitchen equipment, even when it differs with his own.

Personally, i'd put more priority into whether the DJ had suitable back up equipment available, rather than what brand of equipment he used for his main rig, because you cannot rely on any brand and people tend not to be able to dance in silence. Having suffered a complete and total failure of a system whose brand name gives immense orgasms to certain musical fraternities and whose reliability (apparently) is beyond question :wacko: then I was certainly glad that my back up was there with me. Had I not have had it in place, I could have lost business and loyalty from a venue to the cost of almost half of my annual income.

I still find it strange and very tiring in some ways, in that some Dj's and their like will always question and forward assess each other on the merits of what equipment they use

Agreed!

And at one time, in nightclub circles, a DJ who used CD's would have been looked down upon by DJs who used vinyl. It was a silly situation and completely specious since they were implying that all vinyl dj's were good and all CD dj's were bad! It's different now, many nightclubs dont even have turntables and I dont think customers care. The average nightclub-goer has probably never even owned any records!

A bit of a Busman's holiday there then :D . Maybe I should have added in the post that the only people who give a damn about brands and types of equipment are either other DJ's or those involved with or have vested interests in similar occupations (band members, roadies, engineers, disco equipment retailers etc).

I still find it strange and very tiring in some ways, in that some Dj's and their like will always question and forward assess each other on the merits of what equipment they use or whether they are a Digital DJ or CD / Vinyl DJ :wall: rather than their actual entertaining skills, and our industry does seem isolated in marking territory and the levy of criticism based on these facts, rather than reputation and more importantly client feedback :pro:

Personally, i'd put more priority into whether the DJ had suitable back up equipment available, rather than what brand of equipment he used for his main rig, because you cannot rely on any brand and people tend not to be able to dance in silence. Having suffered a complete and total failure of a system whose brand name gives immense orgasms to certain musical fraternities and whose reliability (apparently) is beyond question :wacko: then I was certainly glad that my back up was there with me. Had I not have had it in place, I could have lost business and loyalty from a venue to the cost of almost half of my annual income.

Agreed that back up equipment is critical. if you don't carry it you are asking for trouble at some point. it is difficult to accept someone is professional unless they carry back-up gear.

Sometimes but not always the high-end equipment is better. Personally, I have found that Denon & Pioneer mixers sound better than the basement budget equipment. The same goes for speakers as well. Whether it's worth the extra money and whether it will enhance your roadshow is questionable, because you stiil need to use the gear properly.

Sometimes but not always the high-end equipment is better. Personally, I have found that Denon & Pioneer mixers sound better than the basement budget equipment. The same goes for speakers as well. Whether it's worth the extra money and whether it will enhance your roadshow is questionable, because you stiil need to use the gear properly.

I didn't used to agree with that .......until I bought a pioneer mixer and media players, they are awesome. the sound quality really is noticeable, they are also great to use and robust. the Pioneer CDJ2000 is probably the most amazing piece of kit a Dj could ever own. I love them and now would never use anything else, just one drawback ....the awful price

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Hi All, new to the forum and my first post so be gentle with me :D

There's some good replies here and i thought i'd add my 2p worth as i've just got new speakers and i think the bottom line is beg, steal, borrow, hire etc but if at all possible "try out on a gig before you buy"... easier said than done i know as i've just been there!

I looked at either powered or passive (didn't really matter to me) and ended up where i couldn't decide between EV ZX4 or RCF ART-325A (from HTFR as mentioned on here earlier).

At the end of the day they are both good but in different ways and i spent over a week dithering about which ones to go with knowing full well that which ever way i went i would be wondering what the other ones would have been like. :wacko:

The RCFs are very well built and the bass is tighter than the EVs, but the EVs just "went further" if that makes sense so i opted for the EVs.

First gig and they DIDN'T blow me away, second gig and i'm happier but they are very different to my old Wharfedalepro LX-15s and i've lost quite a lot of bass. So back to my opening line, if possible try out on a gig as it's the only way to REALLY tell i think.

i used to have some wharefale pro lix 15's and i loved them to pieces. Big ply cabinets - good bass and a really warm sound.

But oh so heavy - and needed all the boot space almost on their own :-)

hi guys,

i have been watching this discussion as i will shortly be making the leap into the world of active speakers.

I have looked at the Behringer b815neo & on paper it looks good. DV247 have reviewed it and said for the price it outperforms anything else in its class. Thats not a bad thing.. So im wondering.. has anyone actually used one as yet? If so what do you think? I know some people dont like behringer but at the end of the day a product should be graded on its merits not its family name.. Specs for it below (£365 on thomann site)

BEHRINGER B815NEO, active Fullrangespeaker, 15" 1,75" Neodym-Speaker, 800 Watt RMS (1200 Watt PEAK), Class D-Amplifier, 24-Bit Signalprocessor, 40 - 20.000 Hz, 128 dB SPL max, digital crossover and Phase correction, internal Noise-Gate, Low-Gut Filter, 2-Band EQ, dynamic Contour-FIlter, XLR in/out, 35mm pole mount, angled for wedge application, dimenions: 735 x 430 x 470 mm, weight 23 Kg

My other option is the PSR 15 from W Audio (549.97 from RS 100)

Key Features

• High Impact Molded Polypropylene Enclosure

• 1.75' Voice Coil, 1' Exit Titanium Compression Driver

• 5 Integral Suspension Points

• Complete Mounting Solutions

• Smooth Response With High Power Handling Capacity

• 80 x 60 Coverage Pattern

Also been reccomended the JBL Eon 315 (£500 each)

Model Name - JBL EON 315

System Power Rating - 280 W continuous, 560 W peak

Frequency Range (-10 dB) 38 Hz - 20 kHz (EQ in ‘Flat’ position)

Dimensions (H x W x D) 685 mm x 438 mm x 366 mm(27 in x 17.3 in x 14.4 in)

Frequency Response (±3 dB) 50 Hz - 18 kHz (EQ in ‘Flat’ position)

Coverage Pattern 100° H x 60° V nominal

Maximum SPL 127 dB

Net Weight 15.9 kg (35 lb)

A friend who works in Sound and lighting hire has recommended RCF & if i went for them i would go for the 515a (£999 pair htfr)

# 400 watts rms per speaker

# 129db maximum spl

# 45 - 20,000hz frequency response

# 2 way

# 15" neodymium woofer with 2.5" voice coil

# 2" mylar dome driver with optimised geometry radial phase plug

# Light-weight high efficiency taed amplifier system

# Electronic processor system including:

# Active crossover

# System equalisation

# Transducers phase alignment

# Limiter

# Dc & short circuit protection functions

# Convection cooling system

So.. What would you go for? I would really like a solution which will produce a clean sound, with good bass so i can more gigs without bass bins..

Have phoned around and been reccomended the JBL model listed above, also been recomended FBT maxx, and of course my mate whom rates RCF above all other makes despite their power rating being modest.

So please give me your thoughts, what would you buy, and why?

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

DV247 have reviewed it and said for the price it outperforms anything else in its class

Isn't that a bit like a Car Dealer telling you that a certain make or model is the best in the world?. Doesn't DV247 sell the stuff it reviews?. No dis-respect to DV247, but my Ethos would mean that I wouldn't take review advice from ANY person or company representive whose aim was to sell me the stuff or who had some kind of commercial interest. By definition, how would it ever be considered impartial or unbiased?.

If I was selling my car on Ebay, I wouldn't advertise it as being unreliable and a complete lemon would I?. I'd concentrate on reviewing the good points in order to sell it.

I don't normally take advice from just one person as Sound is personal and there are so many variables, but I do professionally respect the opinions of 'Superstardeejay' who is a member of the forum who has many years' experience in repairing and maintaining Audio and Lighting equipment, not just for us DJ's but also the more expensive stuff used in pubs and clubs. He isn't (to my knowledge) a retailer as such, and so therefore has no commercial bias as to what is good or bad nor any interest in saving manufacturers' blushes.

When somebody who makes a living from repairing equipment at component level tells me, that in his experience, something is unreliable or cheaply made or both :wacko: , then I tend to take it onboard and treat it with more weight than the retailer selling it!. After all, he see's the stuff coming in through the door all of the time, and has to repair them and can judge the reliability by the sheer numbers of product he see's which have failed as well as seeing the build quality and how well they are made and designed internally, so who better to give an unbiased, impartial opinion of what is and isn't reliable than somebody who has to repair them?.

And when he gave Behringer a thumbs down, they got immediately struck off my list :D

Isn't that a bit like a Car Dealer telling you that a certain make or model is the best in the world?. Doesn't DV247 sell the stuff it reviews?. No dis-respect to DV247, but my Ethos would mean that I wouldn't take review advice from ANY person or company representive whose aim was to sell me the stuff or who had some kind of commercial interest. By definition, how would it ever be considered impartial or unbiased?.

If I was selling my car on Ebay, I wouldn't advertise it as being unreliable and a complete lemon would I?. I'd concentrate on reviewing the good points in order to sell it.

I don't normally take advice from just one person as Sound is personal and there are so many variables, but I do professionally respect the opinions of 'Superstardeejay' who is a member of the forum who has many years' experience in repairing and maintaining Audio and Lighting equipment, not just for us DJ's but also the more expensive stuff used in pubs and clubs. He isn't (to my knowledge) a retailer as such, and so therefore has no commercial bias as to what is good or bad nor any interest in saving manufacturers' blushes.

When somebody who makes a living from repairing equipment at component level tells me, that in his experience, something is unreliable or cheaply made or both :wacko: , then I tend to take it onboard and treat it with more weight than the retailer selling it!. After all, he see's the stuff coming in through the door all of the time, and has to repair them and can judge the reliability by the sheer numbers of product he see's which have failed as well as seeing the build quality and how well they are made and designed internally, so who better to give an unbiased, impartial opinion of what is and isn't reliable than somebody who has to repair them?.

And when he gave Behringer a thumbs down, they got immediately struck off my list :D

So are you close to deciding on what to buy? :shrug:

@ danallthemusicdisco I would probably rule out the Behringers for the reason Dan stated, when somebody who repairs audio equipment tells you something isn't good you should listen.

I would also rule out the warriors purely for the weight issue, they are 30kg, so unless you have help they'd be tough to get up on the stands.

That leaves the JBL's and the RCF's. and I think most people would go for the RCF's. I have the older model eons and they ere good, very reliable and have never given me a days trouble but they can be harsh if you push them, maybe the newer models are better I don't know. Have a listen to both and make up your mind then. But if HTFR have stock of the 325's for 999 it's a no brainer for me, thats a big discount from their original list price and they should hold their value really well if you look after them.

Edited by DJMickeyk

www.tipperarypartydj.com

@ danallthemusicdisco I would probably rule out the Behringers for the reason Dan stated, when somebody who repairs audio equipment tells you something isn't good you should listen.

I would also rule out the warriors purely for the weight issue, they are 30kg, so unless you have help they'd be tough to get up on the stands.

That leaves the JBL's and the RCF's. and I think most people would go for the RCF's. I have the older model eons and they ere good, very reliable and have never given me a days trouble but they can be harsh if you push them, maybe the newer models are better I don't know. Have a listen to both and make up your mind then. But if HTFR have stock of the 325's for 999 it's a no brainer for me, thats a big discount from their original list price and they should hold their value really well if you look after them.

Thanks man, i would love to hear them all but here in cornwall there is no where locally that stock any of them

So are you close to deciding on what to buy?

Sort of :huh:

I've been hanging on the sidelines looking online and phoning around for a pair of second hand Active FBT MAXX in the interim, Sadly i've not seen any even remotely close to the £900 mentioned earlier, so somebody certainly got a bargain with that one.

So turning my attention back to buying new - Probably the K12's from QSC

When my Bose L1 crapped out, I went back over to my trusty old QSC Amp with EV passives, which never missed a beat for several years prior to the L1's, and now its not letting me down when I needed it again.

Whilst a pair of K12's will be around £230 over my original £1000 budget, i've always had a good experience with QSC Amps and will probably remain faithful to the brand when moving over to their actives.

Just got to demo them first.

But Behringer are well out of the equation :wacko:

Thanks man, i would love to hear them all but here in cornwall there is no where locally that stock any of them

Under distance selling regulations you have 7 days in which to examine goods bought online. Buy a set to arrive a day before a gig, test them at the gig and if you truely don't like them and feel they don't live up to their reputation, send them back for a refund under the DSR.

Yes, you'll have to return them in immaculate condition and in their original packaging, and yes you will still be liable for carriage charges. Search online and you'll probably find a carrier such as Interparcel, who will collect and return them door to door for around £30 - £35, which at the end of the day is probably cheaper than hiring them.

Sort of :huh:

I've been hanging on the sidelines looking online and phoning around for a pair of second hand Active FBT MAXX in the interim, Sadly i've not seen any even remotely close to the £900 mentioned earlier, so somebody certainly got a bargain with that one.

So turning my attention back to buying new - Probably the K12's from QSC

When my Bose L1 crapped out, I went back over to my trusty old QSC Amp with EV passives, which never missed a beat for several years prior to the L1's, and now its not letting me down when I needed it again.

Whilst a pair of K12's will be around £230 over my original £1000 budget, i've always had a good experience with QSC Amps and will probably remain faithful to the brand when moving over to their actives.

Just got to demo them first.

But Behringer are well out of the equation :wacko:

Under distance selling regulations you have 7 days in which to examine goods bought online. Buy a set to arrive a day before a gig, test them at the gig and if you truely don't like them and feel they don't live up to their reputation, send them back for a refund under the DSR.

Yes, you'll have to return them in immaculate condition and in their original packaging, and yes you will still be liable for carriage charges. Search online and you'll probably find a carrier such as Interparcel, who will collect and return them door to door for around £30 - £35, which at the end of the day is probably cheaper than hiring them.

FBT have two different active 12 inch speakers being the Maxx4a and the himaxx40a

Best possible prices quoted were £1300 for the 4a and £1600 for the mimaxx including speaker covers.

The QSC is also a great speaker but whilst the top end was very good was not as good in the bottom end compared to the Himaxx. The only thing I didn't like about the QSC K12 was it had only 1 handle.

well i feel like a naughty school boy now!

Dukesy, the qsc k12s are a nice pair & i cant believe they are 1000w rms each lol..(Will the bass be any louder than other 12" cabs or will it be more on the midrange side of things? The Deep feature looks interesting! Although i must say the price puts me off just a bit.. - I may get them and send em back but am a bit hesitant about doing it at the moment.

Hot off the press though, i have just been offered a pair of RCF 322A's with covers for £850. What do you guys think? Well looked after but obviously out of warranty as they are second hand but in very good condition (hardly gigged)

Hot off the press though, i have just been offered a pair of RCF 322A's with covers for £850. What do you guys think? Well looked after but obviously out of warranty as they are second hand but in very good condition (hardly gigged)

Buy them. They will sound great.

They will be as heavy as the mark1 Mackies at 22/23kg but way superior. You would end up paying £600 easy for a pair of SRM 450's which are very good, but these are better.

Best possible prices quoted were £1300 for the 4a and £1600 for the mimaxx including speaker covers.

Thanks. I guess the issue is the £ per watt difference between the two that makes me undecided.

The FBT MAXX 4a's for £1300 rated at 300W LF + 100w HF

or

QSC K12's for a similar price, but offering 500W LF + 500W HF

I know the reputation of the FBT MAXX, but £1300 is a hell of a lot to pay for what is just a 400W speaker.

Then again, upon checking it does appear that Thomann have just increased their price of the QSC K12's from £625 to £725 each - Bugger!, maybe I should have bought them when I first saw them.

i have just been offered a pair of RCF 322A's with covers for £850. What do you guys think? Well looked after but obviously out of warranty as they are second hand but in very good condition (hardly gigged)

Snap their hand off, LOL. But make sure you go and listen / check them over first, and insist you hear them, checking the obvious things like the HF and LF drivers work, also check the controls for any crackles and the amount of hum when the are not being fed with an audio signal.

The fact they are out of warranty, and a second hand sale, means that there is no come back on the seller once money changes hands, and no insurance if they don't work properly, so all the more reason to see and hear them first.

The DSR only applies to CONSUMER sales.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2000/2334/contents/made

We are businesses (not consumers) and therefore exempt from this protection, so I would not advise the above route unless by prior written agreement from the retailer.

This does get confused by retailers selling to private individuals and also businesses.

Some will only sell to businesses due to this problem, others will have specific clauses in their terms.

As a business, you sadly lose most of the protection that consumers enjoy.

Edited by vokf

Hmm depends on how you purchase it and who from. Like you say, some businesses don't protect themselves fully, or make these definitions clear, the whole thing is a grey area and it all depends on how firmly the retailer wants to dig their heels in.

Dealing with an entity such as Bookers which is a genuine trade only B2B or buying product from trade distributors like Leisuretec or Electrovison will certainly not afford you the same protection under the DSR, but then again opening accounts with these entities will need trade status to be confirmed before membership is approved, and therefore requires trade references, VAT & Co numbers etc and payment on a 30 day account - i.e all of the facilities which you'd expect in a true business to business transaction. Plus the trade prices which inevitably always go with it.

If these high street / online retailers will sell to anybody, regardless of their trade status or without even checking it exists, then i'm not sure whether it could be construed as being a B2B transaction, in the legal sense of the word.

After all, Mrs Jones buying her 11 year old Son a set of decks and mixer for his Xmas present is not trade nor commercial but I can't see any retailer of disco equipment refusing the sale based on the fact that selling parents a xmas present for their kids is not a true B2B transaction, yet i'm sure Mrs Jones would like to be protected by the same consumer laws and statutory rights as buying product from Argos.

It also depends on how payment was made. Purchasing goods on a personal credit card, and delivering to a residential address, are not indicitive of a business transaction. How many Disco Equipment retailers actively police this, and only deliver to a business address with payment made from a business card or account. DJ's make consumer purchases too. At this stage you are buying on the purposes of obtaining a demonstration and to see whether the goods match the sales description, and auditioning them in your home address.

Thats even assuming that Dj's consider themselves as being businesses, some simply and stubbornly do not, and consider themselves to be non profit making hobbyists and insure their vehicles or leave address details off their paperwork in the same casual manner :D :wacko: :ads: - okay so thats firmly tongue in cheek :D .

Maplin also sell Disco Equipment and I read about plenty of DJ's using them, it also has provision for DSR in its terms

Unwanted Goods under Distance Selling Regulations:

The Distance Selling Regulations give customers the right to change their mind and to cancel an order within seven working days. Reasonable care should be taken whilst the goods remain in your possession and goods must be adequately packaged when being returned back to Maplin. Customers whose transactions are covered by the Distance Selling Regulations, the seven day cooling off period is inclusive within our 28 day returns policy.

Are these retailers selling at trade prices or at RRP?, again selling at retail price indicates that its designed to be sold to a retail / consumer market and not a trade one. If this is deemed to be a trade transaction, then surely we we are expected to forego certain consumer rights then we should be asking for trade prices, below those sold to Mrs Jones' type transactions ?.

Also bear in mind that if this is a true B2B transaction, then you will also effectively lose all of the protection afforded to you by your credit card provider - unless you have a proper business credit card.

I've only ever used the DSR once, and that was because the item which turned up was poorly made, and would probably not have survived the warranty period. I returned the item, under the DSR and only had to pay the return carriage fees and the original delivery fee of the distributor.

Thanks. I guess the issue is the £ per watt difference between the two that makes me undecided.

The FBT MAXX 4a's for £1300 rated at 300W LF + 100w HF

or

QSC K12's for a similar price, but offering 500W LF + 500W HF

I know the reputation of the FBT MAXX, but £1300 is a hell of a lot to pay for what is just a 400W speaker.

Then again, upon checking it does appear that Thomann have just increased their price of the QSC K12's from £625 to £725 each - Bugger!, maybe I should have bought them when I first saw them.

Snap their hand off, LOL. But make sure you go and listen / check them over first, and insist you hear them, checking the obvious things like the HF and LF drivers work, also check the controls for any crackles and the amount of hum when the are not being fed with an audio signal.

The fact they are out of warranty, and a second hand sale, means that there is no come back on the seller once money changes hands, and no insurance if they don't work properly, so all the more reason to see and hear them first.

Thanks for your advice guys, regarding the 322a's - ill arrange a viewing and ill keep you updated!

Also, i found these on ebay last night RCF 500A's http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RCF-500A-SPEAKERS-AL...=item3cb10a6184

Rather heavy at something like 38kg each? Anyway thought you guys might be interested

Edited by Dan allanthemsdisco

I'm no expert but have been using my ART 325As for two and a half years. I still get a flush of pride each time I unzip the covers - they are brilliant.

Invest the extra £150 over and above the used 322s. You'll get a better speaker and peace of mind with a warranty. Ask someone for an early Chrimbo gift in cash so you can buy the covers, and stay within your one grand budget.

Good luck!

Rob :djuhi:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no expert but have been using my ART 325As for two and a half years. I still get a flush of pride each time I unzip the covers - they are brilliant.

Invest the extra £150 over and above the used 322s. You'll get a better speaker and peace of mind with a warranty. Ask someone for an early Chrimbo gift in cash so you can buy the covers, and stay within your one grand budget.

Good luck!

Rob :djuhi:

i have done thanks for the advice, although i wont be Earin em till next weekend as i just had a cancellation :(