Dj's United

Best Active Speakers?

I notice Peavey never seem to get a look in in the descussions?

Any seen the Mackie Thump range in action? Cheap!

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have purchased the Db Opera 415's and am well pleased with them good all round sound with a nice crisp sound.

Any seen the Mackie Thump range in action? Cheap!

Yes had a demo of them side by side to the SRM 450 the Thumps lacked bass compared the 450's but there are videos on youtube on how to make the bass deeper and the speakers warmer (IMO they sound harsh) by adding a gasket seal to the cab.

Edited by Raymilkybarkid

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

As are the KX Audio KX1.5 / KX12 combo... always gets very good feedback from wherever i play! Nice an light too ;) well my wallet is after i'd paid for them lol - well worth the cash tho!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

I notice Peavey never seem to get a look in in the descussions?

Looks like they still aren't :D .

I don't know why, i've done a few searches around the forum and there are some Peavey related discussions, but a large number of them seem to all contain a common theme and that is in relation to comments about how heavy they are :fright: . Maybe Dj's are looking for a lighter option?.

My own limited experience of Peavey were of the Hi-Sys vintage, and yes they filled the 'heavy' category with honours :shocking: . Reasonable speakers, but Boy could they warrant a painful lifetime of back problems all by themselves.

Do Peavey offer a decent powered lightweight speaker?

I don't know why, i've done a few searches around the forum and there are some Peavey related discussions, but a large number of them seem to all contain a common theme and that is in relation to comments about how heavy they are :fright: . Maybe Dj's are looking for a lighter option?.

My own limited experience of Peavey were of the Hi-Sys vintage, and yes they filled the 'heavy' category with honours :shocking: . Reasonable speakers, but Boy could they warrant a painful lifetime of back problems all by themselves.

Do Peavey offer a decent powered lightweight speaker?

To be fair the Peavey Pro Sub P Mk II is more bulky than actual weight - i can lift it myself - but I'm careful with it :) I'm sure it may well be lighter than the original Mk I - although I've not got time to look at the facts on the peavey website :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

• 3 weeks later...

I use RCFs. Great quality in a lightweight cab. Class D amps etc.

Also using Wharfedale Pro Titan 12a's for backup system. These are also great as you can plug ipod's etc straight in to the back of them for background music.

I have to say the Peavey Hisys were and still are a nice a sounding cab but with the obvious weight issue. I have had mine out on dry hire a couple of times recently and i forgot how heavy they are, coupled with a 1500w power amp :(

I use RCFs. Great quality in a lightweight cab. Class D amps etc.

and thats exactly why i sold my soul to the devil and went all out for some RCF's too. Twice the power with half the trips to the van. :Thumbup:

Richmond Karaoke & Disco - Professional Mobile Disco Service For North Yorkshire - www.rkdisco.co.uk

Very pleased with my JBL Eon 515's nice sound and light, my old Mackies were 23kg 12 inch and these are 15 inch at 14.3kg each! They also have extra inputs on the back which my Mackies did not. This means I can very easily have a second mixer in place as back up, or one working with the sub and one without, flexable set up. Oh and I got them for £800 the pair (normally about £1200)! Bargin. A guitarist was selling them , one year old and hardly used, mint condition. Took a gamble and it paid off this time! :Thumbup:

Good Rockin Daddy (Chris)

www.swingcats.co.uk

Music to dance to from 1930's to NOW! Shake your rude box.

Yeovil Somerset 0845 094 3757

i used to have the peavey 15inch impulse 400's and they had a good sound to be fair. didnt need a sub. but were big and heavy compared to the yamaha msr400 i have now which are powered and 12inch and lighter. these are the same power as the peavey but i think they personally sound better.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

JKust to apdate on my RCF 325A purchase. Thanks for all the DJs here reccomending RCF along with a local sound engineer i bought the 325a's and i can report that they are very good performers.

I found them a bit awkward at forst as i was taking them out of their covers for gigs but soon realised i could keep them in their covers on stands (duh) and thats made them a lot more practical. I was a bit dissapointed that there were no eq controls but buying a mixer with hardware eqs solved that. Sadly after 2 or 3 months use one of them has been returned due to the compression driver coming loose :( I can hear and see it rattling about & am now hoping that it wont get made any worse in the post. (I would have done it myself but didnt want to void my warranty) Only other slight negative is that the grilles are a bit flimsy - i was expecting solid rugged grilles but in their cases this isnt important.

For anyone looking for an active set of speakers i would reccomend the RCFs - they are quite light and compact but do have great quality sound and have a lot of power too!

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

Slightly off topic because they aren't active but my both EV ZX4s had the compression drivers come loose, took them apart, took the compression drivers off, cleaned the threads up, put them back on with some thread lock applied, jobs a good-un!

Nice one - i would do the same but just couldnt risk loosing that warranty - RCF are seeing to em right now so im hoping to have it back within the next 3 weeks. Thread lock sounds interesting! Will have to investigate that stuff! (Lets hope RCF are using it!)

All Anthems Disco - Mobile Disco / DJ Hire - Cornwall

• 1 year later...