Dj's United

I visited a bride and groom to be yesterday afternoon.

They told me they had seen another operator and were impressed until he tried a double glazing type close and wanted 50% up front.

The couple thought that 50% might be acceptable 3 months or so before the event, but not nearly 12 months in advance.

I don't ask for that much, if only because I like to have a larger amount to look forward to!

What's your opinion?

I visited a bride and groom to be yesterday afternoon.

They told me they had seen another operator and were impressed until he tried a double glazing type close and wanted 50% up front.

The couple thought that 50% might be acceptable 3 months or so before the event, but not nearly 12 months in advance.

I don't ask for that much, if only because I like to have a larger amount to look forward to!

What's your opinion?

Looking back, I'm 20-30%. Kids parties are normally £40, leaving £80-100 remaining. Weddings are about £80 depending on a few factors.

Its a ballance of ensuring we have some kind of security, vs being reasonable for the client.

I'd say 50% is high, but its up to what the client will pay. I push for balance payment 30 days before now. I've had a few close ones (last few days...) and the potential for payment going askew in the post of banking system!

Same as you Steve, I prefer to see ballance payment close to the actual day.

Some people respond to the high-pressure sales, but its not something we do. I prefer to leave them with a range of good reasons for booking us, and let them make up their own minds.

Do you/have you ever provided staged payments ie 20%+40%+40% over a few months, to ease a clients cash flow?- just wondering if this could be seen as a good thing?

Jason

Do you/have you ever provided staged payments ie 20%+40%+40% over a few months, to ease a clients cash flow?- just wondering if this could be seen as a good thing?

Jason

Yes.

2 stages.

20% initial payment then the balance no later than 10 days before the event! :D

I ask for 20-25% as a deposit for booking and the balance paid in full 14 days prior to the function.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

I ask for 25% booking fee with the returned paperwork, and the remaining cleared funds before the start of the event.

I met a couple today, and discussed payment terms, and I advised the best thing to do is pay the balance at least 2 weeks before the date, so that they don't have to worry about carrying money and all that on the day...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Do a search and you'll find some wedding services such as photographers, hotels, bridal services require a deposit, fifty percent up front / on day of booking, and may state that the deposit is non refundable, the balance usually being settled in advance of the special day.

From experience, requesting a retention fee for say a series of dates or "block booking" is not unreasonable, however, it does sound a bit 'unusual' for a mobile disco, which is essentially a lower tier service, to request a 50% deposit 12 months in advance.

I met a couple today, and discussed payment terms, and I advised the best thing to do is pay the balance at least 2 weeks before the date, so that they don't have to worry about carrying money and all that on the day...

Cheers,

David

Which is a very good point.

Paying suppliers (in cash especially) on their big day is surely something a bride and groom should not have to do.

Which is a very good point.

Paying suppliers (in cash especially) on their big day is surely something a bride and groom should not have to do.

It can also avoid any embarrassment on the evening because the clients have'nt got the or enough money with them.

Edited by Raymilkybarkid

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

It can also avoid any embarrassment on the evening because the clients have'nt got the or enough money with them.

Or the best man has already gone and spent most of it at the bar... :fright: :norfolk:

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

I don't ask for a deposit

WTF ?

No, really, I explain that my contract confirms the booking from both sides, and cash or cheque on the night will be fine thank you. They almost whoop for joy, given that they will have forked out thousands well ahead of the day to the other suppliers and venue

More and more however are now asking to pay by bank transfer or sending me cheques prior to the day (have 2 october gigs fully paid already ! weird)

So far, lady luck has smiled on me and I've never remained unpaid for a gig

The best DJ between Littlehaven Station and the Rusper Road in Horsham - Probably....

MY disco website CHEAP DJ PLI amongst several others ;-)

More and more however are now asking to pay by bank transfer or sending me cheques prior to the day (have 2 october gigs fully paid already ! weird)

In a lot of cases it's the bride controlling the cashflow and quite a few prefer to get all payments made well before the event, so there's nothing to be concerend about on the day.

I asked for a £50 booking fees as opposed to a deposit as I understand there is a difference legally

Yep I use the term booking fee - no mentionm of the word deposit anywhere on my paperwork.. :)

David

DJ David Graham