Dj's United

Best Mp3 Sites That Will Allow Performance

Hi

Most of the sites under terms restrict usage for djaying even the ones whom are named DJ.....music sites. Where can I get Mp3's from?

Looking at some of my CD's they state no performance like the Now collections so can I not use them?

Where do you guys get your music from?

I'm looking to get a load more music and considering mp3 site would enable me to only buy what I like from an album saving loads

Cheers

thanks for that

if i use mastermix whom say all money goes to the artist and is ppl covered do I still need to get a Pro-dub license if I put the mp3's onto disc as audio playable?

or if I have a dj cd player which plays Mp3's would that save me the license?

Whats the score on using Legal compilation like Now can I use them for a gig?

The thing is at the mo I don't realy have enough music by far that I want to convert to cd so £250 is a lot given my situation. I know pro-dub is considering lowering the pricing structure but that hasen't happened yet

Thanks

if i use mastermix whom say all money goes to the artist and is ppl covered do I still need to get a Pro-dub license if I put the mp3's onto disc as audio playable?

The Pro-Dub charges are nothing to do with the PPL or public performance aspect of the music / material, they are in addition to any / all of the usual license requirements for playing music. The Pro-dub license doesn't replace the existing music licensing requirements, it is a license which allows you to format shift the originally supplied material format into an additional format. For example CD to MP3, Vinyl to MP3, so in relation to this, you would also expect the process of burning MP3 / WAV files to CD to be a process which also requires the license, as you are changing the format.

I would contact both Mastermix and the Pro-Dub folk to make sure of this 100% though as even now, this 'reverse' aspect is still considered a grey area depending on who you believe, and one phone call could essentially save you £250 in license charges, make sure you also get it in writing - or better still, record the conversation :wacko:

or if I have a dj cd player which plays Mp3's would that save me the license?

Yes providing you left the digital file untouched and unedited, in exactly the same format as it was legally purchased and downloaded. Using files in this manner on a laptop / pc or a hard drive based HD / SD Card DJ player would NOT require any Pro-Dub license and would be fully legal to use at a gig. Keep the receipts for all of the music purchases though obviously.

Whats the score on using Legal compilation like Now can I use them for a gig?

If you are doing private functions like Weddings and Family parties in a premises already licensed for Music, Yes you can. Provided the NOW Cd is original and was purchased by you. However if you converted (ripped) that Now CD to MP3 / WAV etc for use on a laptop or HD / SD Card based DJ Player then you are shifting format, and a Pro-Dub license for the act of changing its original format would then be required and would, legally, have to be obtained.

More information on the various licenses and given situations can be found here:- http://www.djsite.info/idx/0/054/article/D...need-to-DJ.html

I know pro-dub is considering lowering the pricing structure but that hasen't happened yet

I want to date supermodels and retire at 45 to my luxury Yacht in the Caribbean, but that ain't gonna happen either :D . In essence if you are looking to mainly download the legal DJ Download type material in the future rather than format shift an entire CD or Vinyl collection across, then its probably cheaper to pay £99 for an SD / USB player from Ebay, and use that for playing out the downloaded material in its original downloaded format, as opposed to paying the Pro-Dub people £250 and also having to go to the effort and cost of burning the CD's from each set of Mp3 downloads.

I suppose it says a lot when the purchase of the actual hardware is actually less than half the cost of the license in order to use some of the material on it :wall: :rolleyes:

I suppose it says a lot when the purchase of the actual hardware is actually less than half the cost of the license in order to use some of the material on it :wall: :rolleyes:

Class!

:dukesy:

The Pro-Dub charges are nothing to do with the PPL or public performance aspect of the music / material, they are in addition to any / all of the usual license requirements for playing music. The Pro-dub license doesn't replace the existing music licensing requirements, it is a license which allows you to format shift the originally supplied material format into an additional format. For example CD to MP3, Vinyl to MP3, so in relation to this, you would also expect the process of burning MP3 / WAV files to CD to be a process which also requires the license, as you are changing the format.

I would contact both Mastermix and the Pro-Dub folk to make sure of this 100% though as even now, this 'reverse' aspect is still considered a grey area depending on who you believe, and one phone call could essentially save you £250 in license charges, make sure you also get it in writing - or better still, record the conversation :wacko:

Yes providing you left the digital file untouched and unedited, in exactly the same format as it was legally purchased and downloaded. Using files in this manner on a laptop / pc or a hard drive based HD / SD Card DJ player would NOT require any Pro-Dub license and would be fully legal to use at a gig. Keep the receipts for all of the music purchases though obviously.

If you are doing private functions like Weddings and Family parties in a premises already licensed for Music, Yes you can. Provided the NOW Cd is original and was purchased by you. However if you converted (ripped) that Now CD to MP3 / WAV etc for use on a laptop or HD / SD Card based DJ Player then you are shifting format, and a Pro-Dub license for the act of changing its original format would then be required and would, legally, have to be obtained.

More information on the various licenses and given situations can be found here:- http://www.djsite.info/idx/0/054/article/D...need-to-DJ.html

I want to date supermodels and retire at 45 to my luxury Yacht in the Caribbean, but that ain't gonna happen either :D . In essence if you are looking to mainly download the legal DJ Download type material in the future rather than format shift an entire CD or Vinyl collection across, then its probably cheaper to pay £99 for an SD / USB player from Ebay, and use that for playing out the downloaded material in its original downloaded format, as opposed to paying the Pro-Dub people £250 and also having to go to the effort and cost of burning the CD's from each set of Mp3 downloads.

Thanks very much for all the info sorry about the double posts trigger happy.

I suppose the only negative with a sd or Usb player is I would not be able to mix on the fly, perhaps I should look into buying a dj mp3 player as a longterm addition to my set-up maybe secondhand?

Any known good makes out there.

I mainly wanted to upgrade my vynil though so perhaps there is no way I can get out of buying the dub license.

Edited by teebone

Thanks very much for all the info sorry about the double posts trigger happy.

I suppose the only negative with a sd or Usb player is I would not be able to mix on the fly, perhaps I should look into buying a dj mp3 player as a longterm addition to my set-up maybe secondhand?

Any known good makes out there.

As Spinner says - you can still mix on these things.

Depending on your Vinyl skills, you may find it very different. Many of the SD Card devices are fairly cheap, and the jog wheel is pretty basic.

Compare to the nice solid feel of a CDJ or Denon bit of kit where you have a nice solid platter, some with motorised systems, and the ability to use a Vinyl "top".

I'd recommend going to your local DJ store and asking for a demo of some stuff.

I have a Citronic SD Card system as a back-up to my Numark DDS.

To be honest, I can't mix (basic beat matching) on the Citronic- the jog wheel behaves very differently to other systems I've used. It may be operator issues thou :joe:

But... its a backup. The DDS is fairly easy to use, jog wheels work as expected.

Most brands have a USB based player.

Top end will be Pioneer with CDJ2000, but also much more sensible offerings for mobile DJs.

Denon - also good stuff

American Audio

NuMark -(DDS/DDS80 or D2's can be had for a good price)

Citronic

I mainly wanted to upgrade my vynil though so perhaps there is no way I can get out of buying the dub license.

Go CD with subscription to Mastermix/CD Pool for latest stuff..?

As Spinner says - you can still mix on these things.

Depending on your Vinyl skills, you may find it very different. Many of the SD Card devices are fairly cheap, and the jog wheel is pretty basic.

Compare to the nice solid feel of a CDJ or Denon bit of kit where you have a nice solid platter, some with motorised systems, and the ability to use a Vinyl "top".

I'd recommend going to your local DJ store and asking for a demo of some stuff.

I have a Citronic SD Card system as a back-up to my Numark DDS.

To be honest, I can't mix (basic beat matching) on the Citronic- the jog wheel behaves very differently to other systems I've used. It may be operator issues thou :joe:

But... its a backup. The DDS is fairly easy to use, jog wheels work as expected.

Most brands have a USB based player.

Top end will be Pioneer with CDJ2000, but also much more sensible offerings for mobile DJs.

Denon - also good stuff

American Audio

NuMark -(DDS/DDS80 or D2's can be had for a good price)

Citronic

Go CD with subscription to Mastermix/CD Pool for latest stuff..?

Doh! wasn't thinking of course can mix with mp3 players forgot. when I was getting my kit was actually contemplating on them, should have chosen a DJ CD and Mp3 player at the time.

Ah well will wait for a used bargain

How much vinyl have you actually got to convert?. Or to rephrase the question on a nuts and bolts level, how much of the Vinyl collection that you have to convert, gets used on a regular basis?. £250 which would otherwise be spent on a license goes towards quite a few legal Mastermix downloads, it also buys a lot of second hand / ex jukebox CD's from Ebay, Car Boot Sales, Record Fairs, Jumble Sales etc.

I'm sure that you could go a long way to replacing the important, 'must haves' from out of of your vinyl collection with either second hand CD's or legal downloads with £250. The other advantage being that stuff already digitally remastered onto CD or downloaded at 320kbs format is inevitably going to sound better than Vinyl converted to MP3 / WAV with software in a domestic environment, even if you have the best equipment and de-crackle software available to you.

With the Pro-Dub license. Its a bit like Tax Evasion and Tax Avoidance, I would never condone telling people to use MP3's without a license where it was legally needed and there were no options or choices otherwise, however I'll happily spend hours writing posts, press releases, articles etc telling people how it is possible to legally avoid buying one where it is NOT needed.

Of course, there are always going to be some situations where a Pro-Dub is needed, but there will always be far more occasions where it is not needed and that £250 is always going to be better spent on physically purchasing tangible goods, rather than little pieces of paper which give you the right to do something, which others do in other countries for free.

Hi

Well thats just, it not nearly enough to justify getting pro-dub. I think it's just because I find it much easier to work with CD's so the bottom line is I will have to get my vynil skills up to sratch and be cone with it.

You have a good point perhaps I can get used CD's for the vynil I have, but if not I will have to up my practice on the decks :wacko: