Dj's United

Pcdj-vj Or Virtual Dj Thats My Qestion?

i need help lots of it, it's time for me to join the pc dj and im very old school still on cd.

i need to join the laptop revolution cos i find that just doning wedding e.t.c are gettin less around here,

becouse most people now live in(that old sayin you call)sin so its my first step in to the karaoke word.

when i go out with the mrs it to a mates karaoke night (and yes) i get up to sing,it's nothing special.

so my question is pcdj-vj or virtual dj pro which is beter,my mate uses virtual dj pro he says he cant get on with pc dj so need the thoughts of you lot out there to help on which one to choose and what other equipment or software i need, ive got speakers amp and laptop and leads e.t.c so i would appreciate some

advice and lots of help of you guys many thanks if you can help me. :( :wall:

i need help lots of it, it's time for me to join the pc dj and im very old school still on cd.

i need to join the laptop revolution cos i find that just doning wedding e.t.c are gettin less around here,

becouse most people now live in(that old sayin you call)sin so its my first step in to the karaoke word.

when i go out with the mrs it to a mates karaoke night (and yes) i get up to sing,it's nothing special.

so my question is pcdj-vj or virtual dj pro which is beter,my mate uses virtual dj pro he says he cant get on with pc dj so need the thoughts of you lot out there to help on which one to choose and what other equipment or software i need, ive got speakers amp and laptop and leads e.t.c so i would appreciate some

advice and lots of help of you guys many thanks if you can help me. :( :wall:

I would suggest downloading a trial of both, before deciding which one to buy. There are a few Karaoke guys here, but this is really down to how you get on with the software.

None of this stuff is cheap- so some first-hand experience is a good starting point.

As you're planning on using a Laptop, try to ensure its not used for anything else (ie day-to-day non-DJ use!).

Trying to use a Laptop for DJing that has lots of other Apps/MSN/Yahoo/Skype/etc installed will not make for a reliable system- you'll be yearning for the good old days of CD's when the PC crashes mid-song.

If you think you'll be DJing (not just Karaoke) with the Laptop, then you may wish to get some kind of controller, rather than using Keyboard+Mouse.

Some of these controllers come with Virtual DJ or other software (normally the "lite" version thou), so its worth checking before you buy anything. If you do get the lite software and its not got the features you need, there may be an upgrade path for a reduced price!

Jason

I went digital about 18 months ago and went with VDJ pro, I do a mix of normal Djing, Video DJing and Video / Karaoke nights, and I also regularly use the slideshow plugin for photo display at birthday parties, so I really get the most from the program. I must say it is very easy to use, and works like a dream with my Denon DN-HC 4500 controller. I would have no hesitation recommending it, I know of a few DJs who bought PCDJ VJ and subsequently changed to VDJ as they didn't like PCDJ VJ after using it, not sure how they compare pricewise, but you can download trial versions of both and see which you like. I would almost guarantee that if you go with VDJ pro you won't be disappointed. Hope this helps

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Depends on which type of DJ you are.

I can't mix for toffee with OTS, didn't like PCDJ but fell in love with VDJ.

I think if you like to mix (or try to mix like I do lol) then VDJ is the best choice and as mentioned, there is massive amount of extra free plugins available which allow you to add features and customise it to a very high degree.

Once you've bought a license all plugins, skins, mappers and future updates are free for life.

Craig

Dance Sounds Disco

http://www.discosheffield.co.uk

thanks guys i still need more info im a newbie to digital karaoke djing like whats the best program to rip my karaoke discs to mp3-cdg and how do i manage my files and how do i lable the son tracks with what programs and do i need a codec program do i need the likes of directx up date i have no clue.

hope you guys can still help me thanks :huh:

I've been digital for a couple of years now and my weapon of choice is now VDJ, when I decided to digitise my cdg collection I used it to play those as well, it works well enough, but is very heavy on processor use when playing karaoke tracks, I don't want to replace my dj laptop, it's setup how I want it and does nothing other than gigs - never let me down, but it was only just coping.

So I looked at other ways to play my cdg+mp3 tracks, I now use winamp with a plugin called pacemaker for key changing, it uses much less processor, and I run it at the same time with no problems. When winamp is not playing an mp3 the video window minimises automatically and my desktop background with my business card filling it is shown on every screen.

To rip my collection I used Power CD+G Burner - http://www.powerkaraoke.com/src/prod_powercdgburner.php

It's cheap, works well and has track name lookup too.

Virtual Dj has the great advantage of integrated Karaoke Player which always comes in useful, no plug ins needed like in PCDJ, and better interface..but I'm Biased :-)

Twenty First Century Jukebox

101 services

DIGITAL HEART - VINYL SOUL

hi there again thank for all the replys, due to the price range ive settled on pcdj-vj to start me of in digital djing one question tho how do get the song playlist up to know whos singing next,ive masterd the vj part of pc dj for now, ive ripped most if not all my karaoke cdg discs to mp3-cdg and catalogue and named my tracks.

i read the instructions which im gettin my head round, oh ive forgot to ask is it better to use an external sound card the sound i get form my headphone socket is crap'ish and what is the best hardware to use to take my vj videos to telly, remember the dffrent socket some tellys have.

i know virtual dj is better so ive been told ive plumpt for pcdj and a new laptop with dual core processer a 500gb external hard drive to start me of, this is added to my costs after buying my newcd setup back in the new year so i need as much help of you guys, remember the bizzy season is soon upon us and need to get up a running with this many thanks if you can help. :Thumbup:

Both PCDJ-VJ & VJ are basically the same Platform,

THe issue is that there will not be any improvements to the PCDJ version as it is no longer licensed, This is a shame as I prefer the PCDJ skin than the VJ one,

OTS is ok but doesn't seem to have as many features.

I would have a play with all three.

PCDJ also have a bespoke Karaoki Program which seems quite good.

Good Luck!

hi again i still need help as i am new to digital djing i bought into pcdj-vj and need some help, how do i accesses my perfomer list to see who i've got singing now and next, playing videos is easy but i need to know how to create a play list for e.g like when i warm up befor i start.

so i need a continue'us playlist of videos how do i please help.

many thanks.

I'm strictly a vinyl dj myself but I think next year i'm gonna have to start playing mp3 I think because I need to back up all my precious 1992-1995 oldskool hardcore rave vinyl which are very rare and costly to replace and the more I play them, the less they're worth, so my choice is

PC DJ. Decent CD decks that are excellent for scratching on (I like big spinning platters) are expensive so i'm gonna get myself Rane Serato I think.

i still need help ive got my karaoke songs loaded on to my external hard drive along with my pop videos,

and invested in a 10m vga moniter conection cable but it displays on my 32'' hd tv my pcdj decks, what or how do i get to display just karaoke or my pop videos only on my tv im tring to get it all set up ready to go out on the road, and i need to know if there is a way i can get better sound without using my headphone socket which i need for my headphones cos tring to get the sound through my mixer i cant crossfade to hear what im cue'ing up next with my videos to get my vidz spot on any help outher please :wall:

• 2 weeks later...

I use Megaseg on the Mac and have used it since 2001, still IMHO it's the best DJ software out there, it lacks Karaoke support but that is being added soon. Megaseg is rock solid stable and does video as well. My 2nd choice would be Virtual DJ 6, I haven't used it professionally but like it's features. If you don't do video then Traktor Pro seems very well liked amongst mobile DJ's though it can't play video so is no use to me. Megaseg is by far the best choice, but you need a mac as it is mac only. One point you should consider is the spec needed to run these programs, Megaseg will run happily on a 4yr old laptop, pumping out music videos. Virtual DJ however needs a higher spec machine for video use so you need to test a lot on the demo versions.