Dj's United

Weekend 1st Oct - 3rd Oct

Ok, now we're into the last quarter of the year, summer is now over (at least today in Elstree!).

I've got a busy weekend, 3 kids parties;

-Gt Dunmow, girls 13th tonight

-Braintree/Essex, boys 10th Saturday

-Brentwood/Essex, girls 13th Saturday evening

Most are 2 or 3 hours, simple set-up.

Tonights playlist is not what I'd normally expect, lots of Queen, Robbie etc.

The 10th is mainly normal pop with some Queen etc

The 13th on Saturday... oh dear!

I was passed this from a guy in another forum. 2 1/2hrs, £150, I'm happy with that as I'm also working earlier that day, and had no enquiries for adult parties.

The client called, we agreed the price and exchanged email addresses.

I quoted formally, and then got "the other DJ provides photos for this price". Que 3 or 4 days of emails, where I explain we're totally separate companies, and if we do take photos for her- it will need to be charged extra.

After a few days, the REAL mother made contact. Apparently I was dealing with her work colleague (not sure why!)

We reached an understanding, a small additional fee (for Carmens time to process + post CD).

Then the booking fee didn't arrive. I had to fire off a fairly blunt email, explaining that the party was not a confirmed booking, and I needed to see the booking fee in my account.

Next day, the bank-transfer was done.

The "must-play" area of the playlist has a lots of explicit tracks. I found a few radio edits - but basically will not be purchasing the explicit tracks (Eminem etc)

This is in my terms - I do too many family parties to have to manage 2 copies of tracks and don't want the risk of accidently playing the wrong one.

So - a pain for me. Kids parties for me are generally a matter to getting a list of their favorite songs -and basically turning up.

I insist on a booking fee, but are normally happy to take balance payment on arrival (but many still post a cheque/bank tx)

I expect it will be interesting!!!

Over to you guys!

Residency tonight and Sunday as usual... Half night on Sunday but more about that later!

Tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow. Hmmmmm!

Originally a couple of months ago I was free. The venue I do my residency has live rock bands on a Saturday night from 9pm-11pm (Then a rock disco through till 2am) There is on of the areas most amazing bands on tomorrow so I was originally going to go through there with a few mates as Laura is away this weekend so would just be stuck bored in the house. Then last month when me and Laura were on holiday I saw that Rich Hall will be in my area tomorrow night so decided to get a ticket to go and see him, crossing my fingers that he would be doing Otis Lee Crenshaw as the opening act. Then, literally 2 days after getting my ticket I recieved an email from one of the regulars to my residency.

It's her 21st and she needed a DJ.

Go out, spend money, see Rich Hall?

Go out, work, earn money?

Was a simple question as me and Laura have a busy month this week (one of our mates from the states is on tour in the North East in a couple of weeks so will be on the road with him every night partying and then the following week we're off to Glasgow - I NEED THE MONEY!)

I took the booking and asked for a playlist.

I didn't actually recieve the playlist till tuesday, which I was a bit annoyed about at the time, but upon looking at it there was only 2 songs I had to get, I had the rest. I was quite shocked as the 2 songs I had to get were rock songs and pretty much all the rest (that I have) are chart songs - I pride myself in primarily being a rock DJ.

So anyway yea, got rid of my Rich Hall ticket and I'm now doing a 21st tomorrow.

Sunday night, can't wait! Like I said, half night for me at my residency. Why I hear you ask.

I shall be watching the great guitar god himself Mr. Carlos Santana live!

Taking my father as an early christmas present.

He comes on at 7:30 and looking at the setlist (although it IS live) I think I'll be in work for 11pm.

Fun weekend :D

Ok, now we're into the last quarter of the year, summer is now over (at least today in Elstree!).

Its pretty miserable up here in grey dull and wet Bolton!

Got a 50th tomorrow night up at a Bar & Restaurant near Clitheroe. I've been booked directly by them, rather than the client.. Expected to be about 60ish - mostly locals from the village!

Some interesting tracks on the playlist returned - three pages of A4 with artists on mostly and some tracks on there too..

Interestingly there is up to date stuff on there, and there's other stuff such as John Barrowman, Red Light Company (?), Mini Viva (yay!), Bon Jovi, Boys Like Girls, Prince, Ladyhawke (yay!), Green Day, Blondie, Maroon 5, Free & Rolling stones...

After speaking to the birthday girl directly, all the tracks were chosen by her two daughters! One who is really into John Barrowman apparently :) Oh and add some Simply Red to the mix too, and Earth Wind & Fire - September is one of her favourite songs...!

I forsee a bit of a challenge, yay!

Cheers,

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

After speaking to the birthday girl directly, all the tracks were chosen by her two daughters! One who is really into John Barrowman apparently :) Oh and add some Simply Red to the mix too, and Earth Wind & Fire - September is one of her favourite songs...!

I forsee a bit of a challenge, yay!

I think the main challenge will be what to listen to on the headphones when playing Simply Red and John Barrowman...l :devil:

I think the main challenge will be what to listen to on the headphones when playing Simply Red and John Barrowman...l :devil:

Thank goodness for the Maya 44 sound card.. :) :) May play them at buffet time I think! :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

7th birthday tomorrow afternoon and an 18th on the night.

Songs to play anyone?

Ok I will suggest!

50s Cliff Richard - Move It

60s The Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)

70s Ramones - Sheena Is A Punk Rocker

80s Transvision Vamp - Baby I Don't Care

90s The Wannadies - You & Me Song

00s The Killers - Mr Brightside

10s Kelly Rowland - When Love Takes Over

GDK Entertainments

Raising The Standards In Entertainment

M 0783 529 5169

E info@gdkentertainments.co.uk

I quoted formally, and then got "the other DJ provides photos for this price". Que 3 or 4 days of emails, where I explain we're totally separate companies, and if we do take photos for her- it will need to be charged extra.

These 'days' aren't you supposed to get permission (a signed permission slip) from every parent of every child in order to take their picture, or give the opportunity for parents to opt out their child from group or activity photo shots.

I remember vaguely, this being the reason why a lot of schools banned photos being taken at Xmas pantos and sports days etc, and the obvious outcry that followed.

If it is factual, maybe you should have mentioned this to the client, I guess she would have then decided the photography aspect wasn't worth the (her) hassle :D .

These days aren't you supposed to get permission (a signed permission slip) from every parent of every child in order to take their picture?

I remember vaguely, this being the reason why a lot of schools banned photos being taken at Xmas pantos and sports days etc, and the obvious outcry that followed.

However. If it is factual, maybe you should have mentioned this to the client, I guess she would have then decided the photography aspect wasn't worth the hassle.

I believe it was only ever "advice" but it was taken the wrong way.

Our local primary school has relaxed the rules on this because it rather silly. There was a letter home about it saying that unless as a parent you say otherwise, then photos would be taken at plays, discos, events, etc...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

LOL, unless you are booked for an event held by Stafford Council

1. Consent forms should be completed before photographs are taken and held by the officer commissioning the photographer whether he/she is internal or external to the council. Photographers can also gain consent by completing a consent form at the time of a photo shoot and returning the completed consent form to the commissioning officer. Consent must be obtained where the individual, or individuals, can be identified in the image. Young people and children under the age of 16 should have consent given on their behalf by a relative or guardian. Existing consents from schools should be checked to ensure they are in place, however a SBC consent form would be preferred. A consent form is attached.

http://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/static/Docume...or-Children.pdf

Seriously, it was intended as slightly tongue in cheek advice for Jason to use as a plausable get out clause if the client continued to expect the extra photography services for nothing smile icon. I doubt that such permission would ever be required for a private childrens' party although it makes sense from a client prospective that a DJ may want to cover themselves by requesting it and it may be worth bearing in mind any requirements similar to that quoted above in relation to DJ photography at school discos and anything arranged through or for the local councils.

We are now often and routinely expected to obtain and produce CRB for some councils before working in their schools and at some of their events, so its not that unlikely that other council based legislation they've adopted may also affect us from time to time.

LOL, unless you are booked for an event held by Stafford Council

http://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/static/Docume...or-Children.pdf

Seriously, it was intended as slightly tongue in cheek advice for Jason to use as a plausable get out clause if the client continued to expect the extra photography services for nothing smile icon. I doubt that such permission would ever be required for a private childrens' party although it makes sense from a client prospective that a DJ may want to cover themselves and it may be worth bearing in mind any requirements similar to that quoted above in relation to DJ photography at school discos and anything arranged through or for the local councils. We are often expected to obtain and produce CRB for some councils, so its not that unlikely that other council based legislation they've adopted may also affect us from time to time.

Oh aye :)

Even I got tagged in photos at a year 6 leavers disco... in fact I think all photos ended up on FB somewhere along the line anyway... I posted a couple of them where only one face was visible (my own son's)..

Agree it could be a good getout clause though too!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

These 'days' aren't you supposed to get permission (a signed permission slip) from every parent of every child in order to take their picture, or give the opportunity for parents to opt out their child from group or activity photo shots.

If it is factual, maybe you should have mentioned this to the client, I guess she would have then decided the photography aspect wasn't worth the (her) hassle :D .

Laura runs a local scout group and I went along one week to do some animation workshops with them. As part of my contract I was expected to take photos as evidence. The paperwork was a nightmare to get all sorted out!

Mind you, that's probably just cause I'm :crap: with paperwork lol

Nothing for me as its my Birthday today just going out for a meal tomorrow.

Well thats what I have been told....

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Na.

I this is not required. Wedding photographers do not get written permission for taking photos of bridesmaids/pageboys.

Local papers don't get written permission from parents when printing shots from a sports day.

BBC does not get written permission when interviewing people in the street and kids are in the background.

This was a RULE, enforced by some schools.

We will not be publishing any kids photos online, other than my daughters 13th earlier this year, and then with no mention of names/location.

Its such a grey area.

In my contract I state I may take photos for promotional purposes etc, but it does not apply when most of the guests are under the age of 18.

For me, kids party = no photos. Just saves all of this legal stuff.

If you look on my website though, I did hold a party for kids (friends & family) and got them to sign a basic disclaimer about it. In return for the photos I didn't charge admission for the party and also put a buffet on for them to.

GDK Entertainments

M 0783 529 5169

I'm personally careful when it comes to kids at parties, this is why there were only a handful of photoso at a 21st last week.

There were some good photos - but obviously I don't post them if there are minors in them (at least with their faces showing), The ones I did publish the one child has her back to me - so no faces on display from this angle...

There was a couple of really good photos but just can't put them online annoyingly!

Anyway, back to sorting out a few more bits for tonight's 50th in a small village!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

12. The company may take photographs before or during events, and these may be published for promotional reasons and/or published on its website/Facebook, and we may use the pictures showing people’s faces, if you do not agree to this, you must let the company know prior to your event. This term does not apply to children's parties or where the majority of guests are under the age of 18 years of age.

This is the term I have, however would it be a problem if I changed it to 16? Got a 16th coming up and there great crowds. Good for dance floor shots.

GDK Entertainments

M 0783 529 5169

I've a keen interest in photography, especially wedding photography and have invested in some of the kit. I have even have been a member of some professional forums over the years, where this type of subject is approached and discussed on almost a weekly basis.

One thing which is apparent from these discussions and reading of their own experiences is that not only do you have to consider what is and isn't okay in law, but you also have to protect yourself from societies' growing hysteria and also the individual assumptions where people can jump to entirely the wrong conclusions and you are deemed guilty until explaining your innocence.

Point of fact, on some of these forums there have been instances of a photographer going about his daily job and being surrounded by a mob of angry parents, who wrongly believed that the person was some weirdo taking pictures of their kids during an open junior football match in the local park, rather than a local sports journalist, sadly he'd already been threatened, generally 'roughed up' and run out of the park before he got the opportunity to get a word in and explain who he was and what he was doing.

One jumpy teacher even called the Police when another photographer was seen taking pictures in and around a local beauty spot, during her school trip there with pupils. Again the guy was totally innocent of any wrongdoing, but the teacher wrongly believed he was following them around and photographing the kids.

I suppose its understandable that some overly protective parent, paranoid about their childs safety may arrive at a gig to collect their kids and get entirely the wrong idea in seeing some 30, 40 or 50 year old bloke photographing their child dancing, or worse still the child running over and telling their parents 'That man has been taking photos of me' sounds even worse :wacko: and may end up with you being confronted by an angry, protective father.

Sadly we now live in a society where to even run your neighbours' kids to the same school outing as your own children, you are now expected to obtain a CRB. On this basis, and to avoid any mis-understandings I always try and avoid taking event photos which have children in them, the only exception being Wedding type photos where they are dancing with their parents etc and where they have been asked and the family are all are fully aware of and in agreement with the photo being taken.

I had to laugh when I saw this. I have occasionally been known to indulge in a little System of a Down or Pantera via the old headphones whilst some requested inane faceless over-produced pop drivel is playing through the speakers. Is this a common thing? :wacko:

JB's MUSIC MACHINE

Mobile Party & Function DJ covering the South & South-West area

Tel: 07904 265620 or visit www.jbmusicmachine.co.uk

I had to laugh when I saw this. I have occasionally been known to indulge in a little System of a Down or Pantera via the old headphones whilst some requested inane faceless over-produced pop drivel is playing through the speakers. Is this a common thing? :wacko:

Dunno if it's a common thing but I for one can admit that I've done that!

Dunno if it's a common thing but I for one can admit that I've done that!

I've also done this..

I can sadly also admit to playing 2 Black Lace songs on Saturday...

:wall:

However, they were requested, and kept the mums and kids on the dancefloor, so are always happy to play what is needed.

Friday gig... a strange (for a 11th) playlist. Lots of slow songs, Queen, Robbie, old Take That, and really music that is mainly not 11th Birthday Material.

However, I kept an open mind. Parents were nice and offered drinks and gave me birthday cake :D

Unfortunately, the birthday girls friends didn't share her taste in music, and it was a choice of playing her "must play" with her and 2 friends dancing.. or playing modern chart pop with her not really enjoying herself, but all her other mates dancing!

Luckily, there was only about 10 "must play", and so I did a block of these, and then hit the group with a big chart hit - so the guests shrieked and filled the floor, I played a few of these, and them dropped back to the playlist.

It worked fairly well - and left a few "non dancy" songs that I played when they were eating.

I got asked for my card from the manager of the venue. However, I'm not sure her intentions were honourable! (she was dropping big hints about having a night along, and the place to herself...) :scared:

Luckily, I had a rather nice bottle of Wine and a Carmen at home! :saint:

The Saturday afternoon gig was basically lots of little kids (5yr olds), and I know the mum fairly well (did her mums 60th, and her 30th), so she asked me to do her sons party.

Pretty difficult - but few little girls loved dancing, the rest wanted to chase each other around with balloons.

So... I had to get involved and get then to join in. I don't pretend to be a children's entertainer, but managed to get the kids following me around, copying what I did, and then got their mums up for some dances.

I think they would have been better off with a proper kids entertainer, ie puppet show/magic who can also play music- as the kids were so young... but the Mum(s) were happy and I played a mix of modern and older stuff (that the kids also mainly knew).

The evening party (13th) went well. I met the mum, and had a chat - explaining that most bookings normally run much smoother. Both Parents were great and friendly.

I popped a few uplighters down one end of the hall to provide a nice backdrop for Carmens photos, and they all look good, with some really nice posed shots of the birthday girl, friends and family.

All nice kids, with lots of normal RnB, Pop and a lil bit of DubStep. Birthday girl did provide a mainly good playlist - but did keep coming back to request Justin Beiber...

So... I was playing "Dutty Wine", and then was asked (nicely!) if I could play Justins's "Baby". As the kids were up for anything, the rather large genre jump was fine with them, and they screamed and I had the whole room singing along...

Ended on Cha Cha & Macerena which both had everyone up, I was pleased with the night as did have concerns.

I recently purchased an R12 Rock n Roller, basically an expandable trolley with pneumatic tyres;

http://www.sabre-international.com/rocknro...-multicart.html

This was great, it was used on Fridays Gig, and Saturday evenings gig. I could carry all my "cased" gear (playback/lighting/boxes etc), all in one go, leaving me to roll in the speakers and stands.

I've heard other DJ's raving about it, and its very well built (steel frame), and feels pretty tough.

When I have a large gig that needs my subs, it will carry these too, so reducing the number of trips to the van.

I couldn't do too many of these weekends, but had a good time, and also didn't work too hard (other that set-up/packup), so less work compared to Weddings.

Cheers,

Jason

Had a 50th last night at a village inn.... Its a small village, and there's quite a community feel to it..

Went really well, easy to load in (reversed right up to the fire exit of the function room), few slippery steps because of the wet weather... and in... They had setup some tables for me, but they were quite surprised when I said that I come with everything - no tables required (shame cos they had actually decorated the table too with a 50th banner and balloons, :oops:). Having said that they were impressed that I did come with everything included. The corner was quite cramped, but made good use of the space though...

Wasn't the kind of function for a "full" rig", so just took the tops, and rewired the crossover out of circuit... I used half of the ultimax overhead - just the shorter t-bar type piece into one side of the deckstand with the datamoons on, linked to the datacon1. Worked really well though for what I needed - left the dynaroll and the scanners in the car). I did use my ADJ Par Pro 38B's for the firs ttime - just had them linked on Fade01 (slowest fade programme - I still think its too fast though!).

Played background motown for a good hour or so (motown 50 CD1 & 2 on relay play ftw). Then was asked to turn up the background music a bit - so threw on the barrowman and other stuff for about 30 mins. Then a local group of singers (most from the same village) did a 30 minute set, which gave the night such a nice warm community feeling...

Eventually got started at about 10pm or so - Couple of playlist requests, and then about the third track in the floor started to fill up - then full pretty much - apart from JLS - Club is alive cleared most of the floor.. (yet the younguns were singing along to it)... Next track then filled the floor again... Flipped to 70s after an hour of current tracks, floor still busy... Then requests for cha cha slide and macarena at midnight... then just got the singalongs and dance-a-longs on... Finished on New York... got asked for one more... now a lovely girl had come up to me about half hour early asking for Halo by Beyonce - obviously wouldn't fit in with the 70s etc, however she made me promise to play it for her Fiance... So that became the encore track (while my datamoons cooled down)...

Got thanked by quite a few (The Fiance came over and shook my hand for playing Halo), the venue staff came over and said they had lots of great comments about the night too, got thanked by the Birthday girl's husband a couple of times too, and a few others as well...

So another good night! I must admit to love playing 70s and 80s more than the current stuff...

Only mistake of last night was having the t-bar too low (i hit my head on the datamoons), but moved it higher up so that was then avoided.... The only other annoying thing was most photos were obscured by a couple standing almost in front of me and it looks as if they weren't enjoying themselves (yet they requested quite a few tracks too and did enjoy them!)

The person in charge of entertainments is now going to be giving me first call for any future DJ enquiries... Such a shame the venue owner is on Holiday at the moment cos I'm sure she'd have been happy to see a full floor... Still the staff there will all tell her how good it was :) :) :)

Quick photo of last night's full floor... (more on the FB page) :photo:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs301.ash2/58107_442810739629_272580604629_5100196_5766477_n.jpg

Cheers,

David

ps. No Black Lace here, although I did hear a couple of teenage girls singing a Black Lace song during the buffet/food-service... :scared: :fear:

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Last night's 21st was a weird affair.

It was at a rugby club pretty much in the middle of nowhere (so it didn't get amazingly busy)

The weirdest part of the whole thing was the setup though.

The venue was kind of split into 3.

One end had a bigish room full of the tables and food for the party.

In the middle was the bar with some tables set out.

Then there was a tiny dancefloor where I had to setup.

With the night being setup the way it was I found that there were very few dancers until they pulled a partition over to close off the room with the tables and ushered the punters (who were left) through into the bar area.

Must say... First 21st I've done where there are NO adults, family or parents! Was all just youngsters. Was a fun night though once people started dancing. Dancefloor was packed once they started dancing.

The barstaff wanted me to call time at the bar at about 11:45pm. I was playing till 12:15am. Once I called time everyone just left! There was me, the 2 barstaff and about 4 lads who were there for the party but are members of the rugby team.

Mind you saying that, I think there must have only been about 50 or 60 people there maximum all night!

The birthday girl seemed happy with everything though. Which is what matters I suppose. Most of her mates were impressed that she had managed to get me as the DJ - for some reason since starting various residencies in the area I seem to be gaining celebrity status lol. Quite a few people took my card last night and are hopefully going to be booking me for various things. They seemed quite surprised to see a local club DJ doing a birthday party. Bless them lol

I had two good parties to.

The first party, a 7 year old. This got off to a great start done all the usual games. Kids loved it, most of them were 6 and 7.

After the buffet with around 20mins to go, I had already given a little boy 2 warnings for hitting me. This, I find is completely unacceptable off a 7 yr old kid as well as 30 yr body builder! If he is doing it to me, what is he doing to other kids. The third time, I turned the music off, and asked the for the parent. I wanted him to have a time out, which I could not enforce. The mother reacted very bad to this, threw a little hissy fit, and took the boy and his sister home. I restarted the party. The last 10 mins of the party went great.

Now I had a word with the mother who was the client, and she agreed with what I did. Not sure if they has damaged my reputation as a few of the parents around the room looked shocked at what I had done. What do you guys think?

In the evening I had a fancy dress 18th. Great laugh, I got dressed up as a jester (but hey everything I say is a joke!).. I'll get the door!...

Great night, apart from a few oldies complaining late on about the music selection, but I had played a good selection (like I usually do) before the buffet including a fair bit 60s!

Photos can be found on Facebook and you do need to be a member to see the photos. Will also post the playlist when I go on my DJ laptop.

EDIT: Silly typo that would of just made me look so stupid!

Edited by Gary (GDK)

GDK Entertainments

M 0783 529 5169

After the buffet with around 20mins to go, I had already given a little boy 2 warnings for hitting me. This, I find is completely unacceptable off a 7 yr old kid as well as 30 yr body builder! If he is doing it to me, what is he doing to other clothes. The third time, I turned the music off, and asked the for the parent. I wanted him to have a time out, which I could not enforce. The mother reacted very bad to this, threw a little hissy fit, and took the boy and his sister home. I restarted the party. The last 10 mins of the party went great.

Now I had a word with the mother who was the client, and she agreed with what I did. Not sure if they has damaged my reputation as a few of the parents around the room looked shocked at what I had done. What do you guys think?

I think they may have been shocked that you did something about it? Did you explain/apologise for stopping the music?

I'd agree with what you did - two warnings in the case of children. Three strikes and you're out...

Voilence from guests will not be tolerated - regardless of age.

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham