Dj's United

Mixer Flight Cases - What Do You Use?

Ok, so I've decided to give my back a bit of a break and invest in a new lighter (and slightly smaller) mixer/flightcase..

Currently I'm using a Road Ready 10x6u 19inch wooden flightcase with an extra "wing" (aka laptop shelf). It weighs in at about 20kg on its own with nothing in it (inc the shelf). With the mixer, cd players, etc, it must be nearer 35/40kg though! It is built like a tank though - as even I can use it to stand on things.... :D However its slightly too bulky and heavy for me, and I've gotta think of my back. Its also surprising how much the XLR and other audio/mains cables add up to as well :).

I'm going to downsize to a Gator GRC 10x4 (10u top, 4u front, and about 6u ish in the back), which is currently just 106.68 new from DFB... (Cheapest i've ever seen one new - top price i've seen one is 180+ !).. Currently s/h one on fleabay for 80 quid + delivery or so... And tbh the extra 20 quid I might as well go new etc...

I was just wondering, what do you use, and how do you find it?

Cheers,

David

Edited by gadget

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

My main and back-up playout systems are in 10U over 4U (6U at the back) ABS rack cases by Spider.

Around £65 each.

I did consider Gator but Spider cases seem just as good for a lower price.

I had a look on flightcasewarehouse, but they didn't have any 10u4u (6u) offerings... (they had ones with 6u on top 4u at front , or 6u at front and 10u on top) So went with the gator option from DFB instead..

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I've decided to give my back a bit of a break and invest in a new lighter (and slightly smaller) mixer/flightcase..

Currently I'm using a Road Ready 10x6u 19inch wooden flightcase with an extra "wing" (aka laptop shelf). It weighs in at about 20kg on its own with nothing in it (inc the shelf). With the mixer, cd players, etc, it must be nearer 35/40kg though! It is built like a tank though - as even I can use it to stand on things.... However its slightly too bulky and heavy for me, and I've gotta think of my back. Its also surprising how much the XLR and other audio/mains cables add up to as well :).

I'm going to downsize to a Gator GRC 10x4 (10u top, 4u front, and about 6u ish in the back), which is currently just 106.68 new from DFB... (Cheapest i've ever seen one new - top price i've seen one is 180+ !).. Currently s/h one on fleabay for 80 quid + delivery or so... And tbh the extra 20 quid I might as well go new etc...

I was just wondering, what do you use, and how do you find it?

Cheers,

David

with reference to the buy on fleabay, can add my expirence;

i have a gator case, all the kit inside is new, however the case is not. i bought off ebay, and sure it was cheaper than new, but what was i thinking! The lids fall off because the locks are worn. i will be buying a replacement gator case, but his time new. after all, the kit inside is more expensive than the case by a factor of ten.

to add, i would advise any dj to get a gator type case because they are lighter than the wooden cases by miles. And remember a djs' back is for life and not not just for christmas!