Dj's United

hi slightly off topic from djing but i have a summer house at bottom of garden and loose signal from the laptop in it from my sky wireless router in the house. How can i boost the signal , any link to some cheap gizmos would be great as i not sure what i need , Thanks

hi slightly off topic from djing but i have a summer house at bottom of garden and loose signal from the laptop in it from my sky wireless router in the house. How can i boost the signal , any link to some cheap gizmos would be great as i not sure what i need , Thanks

Can you move the sky router higher up? If the wifi aerial is removeable you could potentially get a bigger aerial which would give you a few db's gain and allow you to position it higher up....

Another option is to get a wifi access point in your summer house - and position this high up and then use an ethernet cable to that from the laptop... but obviously means you need mains power too...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Can you move the sky router higher up? If the wifi aerial is removeable you could potentially get a bigger aerial which would give you a few db's gain and allow you to position it higher up....

Another option is to get a wifi access point in your summer house - and position this high up and then use an ethernet cable to that from the laptop... but obviously means you need mains power too...

Cheers,

David

the aerial is built in in the router altough it does have extra ethernet ports at the back if thats any use, do have power though in the summer house, not sure what a wi fi acess point is

Sky Routers are crap in that respect, if you have a newer one with no externally visible aerials. The one I had years ago was great, you could unscrew the antenna and connect an external aerial to it. Sadly there isn't much you can do to improve the Sky ones with integrated aerials, unless you try and relocate it to a position more in line of site of the workshop.

What you can do, is to connect a 2nd cheap Router with Wifi and a detachable external aerial (on a socket) to the main Sky Router via the Ethernet port, switch off the Wi-fi Facility via the admin panel on the Sky Router and, instead, use the Wi-fi on the second one. This will then give you the flexibility of connecting an external or loft mounted booster antenna to it. Sometimes just an indoor booster antenna, will be enough to get a decent signal outside. Out of all of the Routers i've owned, the Sky one does seem to give the worst and weakest Wi-Fi reception.

Lots of options, really down to budget and range requirements;

-Wifi Repeater

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/175121

or

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/220595

etc

-Ethernet over Mains with Wifi adapater

http://www.osoo.co.uk/p/Devolo_dLAN_Wirele...g)(228554).aspx

I have no experience with Ethernet over Mains, this stuff has been out for a while, and could be a good solution for you IF you're unable to get a decent signal down to the summer house.

A removable antenna, to replace the omidirectional antenna with a unidirectional (ie directed to your summer house only!) would also be good - but would have the increased cost of a new antenna (and please don't recommend a Pringles Can!)

Jason

I bought a Homeplug set up a couple of years back, I had an extension built and where my office is now in the house I got a very very weak signal if I got a signal at all. One plug goes directly into the socket with an ethernet cable from the router into it. I also have two other plugs which have wireless and cable connectivity on them. The main pc is cabled into one of them but I can take the laptop up and it runs on the wireless side of the unit no problems, no speed loss that I can notice or drop in wireless signal, so if your garden shed/summerhouse is on a circuit thats from your consumer panel in the house you wont have a problem.

I bought a Homeplug set up a couple of years back, I had an extension built and where my office is now in the house I got a very very weak signal if I got a signal at all. One plug goes directly into the socket with an ethernet cable from the router into it. I also have two other plugs which have wireless and cable connectivity on them. The main pc is cabled into one of them but I can take the laptop up and it runs on the wireless side of the unit no problems, no speed loss that I can notice or drop in wireless signal, so if your garden shed/summerhouse is on a circuit thats from your consumer panel in the house you wont have a problem.

I remember seeing these things for RS232 in the late 80's.... We were going to set-up a small serial network between 2 offices back then.

They should be fine for a house/flat. The main problem will be in an industrial setting where 3-phase is used to provide 3 separate 240V lines to different locations...

Not a problem in most houses.. :D

Jason

I remember seeing these things for RS232 in the late 80's.... We were going to set-up a small serial network between 2 offices back then.

They should be fine for a house/flat. The main problem will be in an industrial setting where 3-phase is used to provide 3 separate 240V lines to different locations...

Not a problem in most houses.. :D

Jason

I guess thats why its called HOMEplug :D :D