Dj's United

Amp Advice/reccommendation

Guys............

After a bit of a struggle i have finally got the speakers that i wanted after hearing them. Namely EV Force i25's. They may not be the best and maybe not top of the range but i'm happy with them!.

Anyway i'm sure you will all know the specs etc so i was wondering if any of you boys could give advice on a decent amp to run these?. I'm thinking 1000w per channel ish @ 4 ohms?.

Greatly appreciate your advice. Many thanks :D

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_ep2000_europower.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/crown_xls_2000.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_p5000s_endstufe.htm

The first two are sort of budget, but I hear the T-amps are good value, you haven't said what your budget is so hard to make a concrete recommendation. Perhaps try ebay for a good second hand amp rather than a new budget one, amps will last ages if you look after them, I still have a matrix amp which was my first one ever, still use it after 15 years, and has never been in the repair shop except for a service. Superstardeejay is a forum user here and is an expert on these matters perhaps you could try PM him, as he would be better placed to make a recommendation. 1000 watts into a 600 watt speaker seems a little much, you sure you would need that much power, I reckon any of the above will be fine, 600-800 watts, good luck with the new speakers they look like they would be hard work to carry around hope you have a roadie with a strong back :joe: .

www.tipperarypartydj.com

http://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_ep2000_europower.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/tamp_ta1400_amplifier.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/crown_xls_2000.htm

http://www.thomann.de/ie/yamaha_p5000s_endstufe.htm

The first two are sort of budget, but I hear the T-amps are good value, you haven't said what your budget is so hard to make a concrete recommendation. Perhaps try ebay for a good second hand amp rather than a new budget one, amps will last ages if you look after them, I still have a matrix amp which was my first one ever, still use it after 15 years, and has never been in the repair shop except for a service. Superstardeejay is a forum user here and is an expert on these matters perhaps you could try PM him, as he would be better placed to make a recommendation. 1000 watts into a 600 watt speaker seems a little much, you sure you would need that much power, I reckon any of the above will be fine, 600-800 watts, good luck with the new speakers they look like they would be hard work to carry around hope you have a roadie with a strong back :joe: .

Mickey...............

Thanks for your reply. I have a budget of, give or take, £500. I spoke to Audioworks regarding these speakers (main EV dealers), and asked them their advice on amps to get the best out of these. They did tell me they want 1000w per channel and only turn the amp up half way or maybe slightly over. They said better to do that than have a 600w per channel amp and thrash the living daylights out of it, if you see what i mean. They did say the Crown amps are very sold, xti range amongst others. Any thoughts?

I was always led to believe it is better to turn your amps up to max and then only have your mixer up halfway, so then 1000w would be fine, I don't really know, my main PA is powered, my smaller PA uses an amp and I always have this turned up full, and my mixer turned down. It's a tricky one, one DJ will tell you one thing and another will say different. I'm not a sound engineer so will let one of the other guys advise you on this. Crown, EV, QSC, Yamaha, Peavey etc all do amps like what you are looking for and I reckon any of them would be fine, where cheaper brands might give you trouble, like I said I have a matrix one which has paid for itself many times over. I would also recommend having a backup amp, just in case. Your passive speakers are unlikely to fail you but amps can and do let people down, imagine arriving at a gig and having this happen you, so best to have a budget backup amp to be sure. When you include this 500 pounds doesn't go very far but you could always add one later on. Sorry I couldn't be more help, have a look at thomann or htfr or any other retailer for some idea of what you would like and get some professional advice before you buy.

www.tipperarypartydj.com

Give the Matrix UKP2100 or the XP2000 a look at. Perhaps a few quid over your budget but certainly good quality british amps!

Mr Audio Man........

Its funny you should mention the Matrix UKP2100................just been looking at it and was going to ask for opinions!

Yamaha a nice amp and well screwed together.

T-Amp are not.

Crown XLS are an old C-Audio GB in a new case. Not bad really.

Guys..............

Thank you for all your advice. Greatly appreciated. A big thanks to superstardeejay especially for the advice given by PM. And also djmickeyk. I have narrowed it down. Will be getting 2 of these 3..........

Behringer EP4000

Matrix UKP2100

Peavey PV2600

Oh..........and a back support for lifting the Force i25's! :D

Thanks again

Mr Audio Man........

Its funny you should mention the Matrix UKP2100................just been looking at it and was going to ask for opinions!

I can't say i've had any trouble with mine. They are built solid and give out true measures. Certainly worth the money. I have used QSC amplifiers for years but converted to Matrix as a trial as so many people had recommended them to me.

I believe the Peavey amplifiers are not too bad either....

Behringer EP4000

Matrix UKP2100

Peavey PV2600

The Behringer there is the odd man out as it's a budget brand, the other two are premium brands.

But just like Skoda drivers, most Behringer amp owners are happy with their little bargain.

I've got a qsc rmx2450 for sale. In mint condition, never been clipped as it's always been used with Martin m3+ which the limiters were set.. £500.

Steve

5 European cups and 18 leagues, that`s what we call history.

The Behringer there is the odd man out as it's a budget brand, the other two are premium brands.

But just like Skoda drivers, most Behringer amp owners are happy with their little bargain.

Gone off the Behringer as ive heard conflicting stories!. And i dont drive a Skoda either thank you sir!.

And Steve, regarding the QSC amp............sounds interesting. If you could PM me, we could have a chat about it. Thanks

@ Greattracks - Thomann still have a few good prices left, even after their recent price rises, and forums are all about sharing advice and tips after all. On that basis they are offering the QSC RMX 2450 Brand New and with 3 years warranty for only £506.51

http://www.thomann.de/gb/qsc_rmx2450.htm

qsc RMX series good amp wherever you get it

:hide:

Just had a look at the Thomann website..................very decent prices i have to say. Think the QSC RMX2450 is looking very good. Also had an offer of a decent used amp from a forum member.! Will be in touch. Just to tell you all i am using the EV Force i25's for the 1st time this saturday at a 21st party. A very good (and trusting!) friend of mine has lent me his spare MC2 T2000 amp. Just had it on in the garage for a little while (sorry neighbours!). And that is a very sweet sounding amp also!.

Just had a look at the Thomann website..................very decent prices i have to say. Think the QSC RMX2450 is looking very good. Also had an offer of a decent used amp from a forum member.! Will be in touch. Just to tell you all i am using the EV Force i25's for the 1st time this saturday at a 21st party. A very good (and trusting!) friend of mine has lent me his spare MC2 T2000 amp. Just had it on in the garage for a little while (sorry neighbours!). And that is a very sweet sounding amp also!.

MC2 are also nice amplifiers if you have the money to dish out for one!

MC2 are also nice amplifiers if you have the money to dish out for one!

Indeed they are. As i said i have borrowed one (T2000) for Saturday night. Ive ran it already briefly and it sounds very sweet. And they are not as dear as you think!. As Dukesy said, this site is for sharing info etc. So, i happen to know from my friend who has lent me one of his spare MC2 amps that if you butter them up first by email, phone call etc, telling them how good they are and they come highly reccommended etc etc. Well, take a visit to their offices, factory with cash in your hand and you will get them half price off the shelf! Sshh............dont tell everybody though!