Dj's United

My Pride And Joy Is No More

I don't normally get attached to cars however 3 months ago I bought a Volvo V70 and absolutely loved it. It was metallic black ( to be fair probably looked like a hearse ) probably the most comfortable car I have owned drove like a dream.....and cost me a fortune.

Sunday evening it was parked outside the house........loud crash. Someone in a large 4x4 had run into the back of it at 30mph pushed the Volvo into a van parked next to it so major damage to front back and one side

Insurance company delivered a courtesy car at 1pm yesterday........by 7pm they called to say that they would be collecting courtesy car as Volvo is a write off. How ridiculous is that ...so now at least a few weeks without a car, although now going to try to claim a hire car from idiot that hit it.......who was arrested for being twice the legal alcohol limit (oops ) he did actually come round to apologize yesterday....and I almost felt sorry for him....almost.

Small comfort is knowing he may lose his license and his insurance company will probably not pay him for his 15k write off.

Oh well car hunting time again

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

Sorry to hear that - and you never seem to get fair value for a car written off.........

I would say that there was a time in the early 80's that a volvo would survive an accident like that.

Family friend borrowed the parents 240DL - hit a row of parked cars and wrote off three - the volvo surviving to fight another day :D

Would also add my father in law has a 2000 V70 in black with all the trimmings, driven it once and love it, definately have my eye on it.

Edited by bluejools

Sorry to hear that - and you never seem to get fair value for a car written off.........

I would say that there was a time in the early 80's that a volvo would survive an accident like that.

Family friend borrowed the parents 240DL - hit a row of parked cars and wrote off three - the volvo surviving to fight another day :D

Would also add my father in law has a 2000 V70 in black with all the trimmings, driven it once and love it, definately have my eye on it.

To be fair the Volvo did survive it was drivable, whereas the Nissan Navaro was a complete mess front end completely caved in, the only reason the Volvo has been written off by the insurance company is nearly all the lights and body panels would need to be replaced

The oldest swinger in town....... probably. Happy Easter.. well I have seen easter eggs in the shops

To be fair the Volvo did survive it was drivable, whereas the Nissan Navaro was a complete mess front end completely caved in, the only reason the Volvo has been written off by the insurance company is nearly all the lights and body panels would need to be replaced

Ouch! That really sucks. :hurt:

The annoying thing is you get a "fair value" for the car, but you get bugger in help having to take time off to go and buy a new car to replace it and all the inconveniences surrounding it.

Could you not keep the car and get it repaired yourself? But then having a car that's been in an accident (I've been in a few - only one was ever my fault due to crap weather conditions) - It's never quite the same again as when you had it new...

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

I dont often say this but so far the insurance company ( esure )is impressing me, had a phone call from them 15 hours after they confirmed it was a write of with an offer....after a bit of haggling they are giving us the full price we paid for the car plus the cost of the towbar we had fitted and no excess deducted as they will claim that from the other party.

They also said we should recieve funds within 48 hours, I will believe that when I see it :D or am I being a bit cynical and untrusting of insurance companies.

Edited by wizard

My friend was also insured with Esure and he was paid out within 72 hours of the accident for his car.

Its a real pain because you have now got to try and find a replacement car which takes time.

I hope that they let you keep the courtesy car for a week or so while you try to find your replacement.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

Mum had a similar thing with her 245DL. Parked in a car park, went shopping, came back, the whole front end caved in by something big. No witnesses, in the days before CCTV, it cost a fortune but was certainly not written off; this is something they do more easily these days. Body repairs seem to be a complete song and dance!

Had my new Citroen Xantia keyed in the car park of Maplin Stoke.

Had my Red VW Golf Keyed in a side street in Hanley, all 4 panels.

Had the Xantia ar$e-ended at a set of traffic lights in Hanley by an Electric Board white van man.

Had the mirror on my Blue Golf bashed in the carpark of B&Q despite parking it yards from any other car.

Had the bumber on my black Volvo V40 bashed in a carpark in derby, no witnesses of course

Had the electric mirror of same car kicked off in a side street in Hanley, luckily the drunkerd was caught by the bouncer of a nearby pub who I had just repaired something for, he coughed up the cash.

I suppose you're lucky enough to at least know who did it! Even if his insurance wont pay out (cos he was drunk, so his insurance would be invalid) then you can sue him privately for damages.

Edited by superstardeejay

Thanks for the offer Jason but I have my own van......and have just bought a BMW 330d.

Hope to pick it up tomorrow.....wife's nieces husband is a car dealer, very useful as we get a good deal and he just says pay me when you get the insurance money.

Took it for a test drive last night and found an unused factory fitted detachable tow bar hidden in the boot, that will save me a few bob.

SuperstarDeejay remind me not to visit Hanley :joe:

They only let you keep the courtesy car until a the car is repaired or b until they confirm it is a write off.....hence we only had it 7 hours......pretty useless really, we could have claimed a hire car against the other driver but as we knew we would get a new car pretty quickly we didn't bother.

Edited by wizard

Even if his insurance wont pay out (cos he was drunk, so his insurance would be invalid) then you can sue him privately for damages.

in this situation doesnt the insurance pay out third party ? IE his claim is ignored cos he is drunk in charge, innocent still protected ?

And how is the 330d ? estate ? always wanted one.......

And how is the 330d ? estate ? always wanted one.......

Very Very Nice, nowhere near as much room as the Volvo but the back only has to hold a couple of dogs, seats are a bit hard but surprisingly comfortable. ..... just had a bit of a shock as well ...managed to get the insurance on it for £270 with Tescos. that is fully comp with protected no claims as well.

Heading up to Norfolk in it tomorrow for a weekend away.....looking forward to that.

And yes you were right about the insurance. As of yesterday he hadn't contacted his insurance company ...so he is in trouble for that as well. the police report and the claim from my insurance went to them the day before. Luckily they did confirm he was insured.

Edited by wizard

THe insurance issue is really down to the individual insurance company. Many insurers have a clause in the small print that states the certificate will be void if the vehicle is not driven in accordance with the conditions of the driving license. How that is interpreted by the insurer is up to them, doesnt matter if its 3rd party or fully comp...a certificate is a certificate.

People convicted of drink-driving, driving without due care and attention etc are often also convicted of driving without insurance because their primary offence voided it!

THe insurance issue is really down to the individual insurance company. Many insurers have a clause in the small print that states the certificate will be void if the vehicle is not driven in accordance with the conditions of the driving license. How that is interpreted by the insurer is up to them, doesnt matter if its 3rd party or fully comp...a certificate is a certificate.

People convicted of drink-driving, driving without due care and attention etc are often also convicted of driving without insurance because their primary offence voided it!

Very true in respect of the Policyholder and their vehicle and losses, and any Police action against them but this is a bit of misnomer in respect of an innocent third party who needs to make a claim against the drunk driver.

Basically, if a policy was paid for and in force on the vehicle at the time of an accident, then nothing else will affect the rights of a third party to make a claim against the policyholder / insurer if that vehicle is involved in a RTC, especially if the policyholder was later found to be entirely at fault, and being drunk and hitting a stationary vehicle would be without question, an 'at fault' accident :D .

It doesn't matter if the Driver was drunk or unfit through drugs or driving carelessly or didn't even have a full license. Provided the car was on a valid insurance policy at the time of the accident, the insurers still have a legal obligation to pay out for losses suffered by other parties or for any street furniture damage etc where there is a valid and provable claim.

Certainly the insurer will not cover the damage done to the Drunk Drivers car, and its more than likely that they will persue him privately at a later date for the amount that they have had to pay out to Wizard for the damage to his own vehicle, however there is no reason why they should delay paying out on the basis that the driver was drunk. If they did try and use this as an excuse then its an internal complaint matter followed by a letter to the FSO / Ombudsman.

Wizard, slightly off topic but in relation to your 330D, just be aware that they have a very well known and very expensive weakness and i've known two people now who've fallen victim to it. Google 'BMW Swirl Flaps' to see what I mean. These are a row of small butterfly flaps in the inlet manifold which are well known to break away and fall into the engine - totalling it and requiring a complete new engine.

http://www.swirlflaps.co.uk/images/photo-swirlflap2.jpg

This fault only affects models registered before 2006, but if yours falls into this bracket then get them taken out ASAP. Having them removed abd blanked off is not detrimental to the engine or running, and could save you £1000's in repair bills.

• 1 month later...

Well they say lighning doesn't strike twice in the same place !

Got woken up at 4.45am on new years day ( had only been in bed two hours) to the sound of someone crashing into the new BMW. Pushing it into the same van the Volvo hit last time :huh:

The driver and front passenger did a runner ....leaving the car blocking the road.....and the girls sister in the back seat.

needless to say it didn't take the police long to arrest them. Guess what both over the drink drive limit.

Car is again possibly a write off. the insurance company is going to love us. thank god for protected no claims.

appy new year :damn:

Edited by wizard

Sorry to hear that....

Do you live on a main road or a side road?

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

On a main road,

Will have to re arrange fences so I can get the car on the drive with the van & caravan I think

More to the point, given you've now been the victim of two drink drivers, do you live near to a pub! :huh:

Still, i'm glad to finally meet another bloke whose luck is as bad as mine :D

Maybe its fate - telling you its time to move to that little pad in the Country!.

Well they say lighning doesn't strike twice in the same place !

Got woken up at 4.45am on new years day ( had only been in bed two hours) to the sound of someone crashing into the new BMW. Pushing it into the same van the Volvo hit last time :huh:

The driver and front passenger did a runner ....leaving the car blocking the road.....and the girls sister in the back seat.

needless to say it didn't take the police long to arrest them. Guess what both over the drink drive limit.

Car is again possibly a write off. the insurance company is going to love us. thank god for protected no claims.

appy new year :damn:

Oh noes :( :( :( Will this mess up your No claims in any way this time?

At least the peretrators have been caught - could have been worse where they ran off and there was nobody in the back seat... Clearly they didn't hold much regard for the sister in the back seat either!

What a totally crap start to the year :thumbdown:

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Driving home from a gig at 1am this morning I looked at the neighbours van parked outside our house and thought how on earth did they hit our car it is clearly visible. Not on a bend, well lit with street lights. alcohol sure has a lot to answer for..... Or at least the people that do stupid things after drinking it do.

Anyway so far the insurance company (tesco) have been excellent......unfortunately I didn't tick the box that says legal cover. Oooops. I normally do. However I won't in the future, had a call from the legal department saying as it was a no fault accident they will help us anyway. They have already sorted a hire car for us for the duration and will also claim back all of the excess. Just got to wait for the accident repair centre to open tomorrow to asses the damage.

The odd thing is that it is not twice in 6 weeks as a week after ours was hit last time our neighbours was hit as well ...another drink driver who drove away. Without reporting it. That was also a write off.