Dj's United

What You Do Play?

At the begining of a gig, wheather it being a wedding, birthday, wake (lol) etc... What do you play to start off with as the people are getting in the room and getting comfatably.

I know you keep your best floorfillers after but i tend to struggle what to play first as i am new to doing this.

I know all about reading the crowd and the age groups.

What i'm trying to say is do you have a set list in your head or do just play "anything" as background music?

Thanks

There have been a few other topics like this - have a search

but to add my 2p worth. I used to use those chart hits that are never dancy (sugar babes are notable for some of their output)

Plus the daily mail went through a phase of free CD's with this sort of music on..... easy middle of the road, still well known. Regularly available in charity shops where of course they are not for resale :-)

Plus the daily mail went through a phase of free CD's with this sort of music on..... easy middle of the road, still well known. Regularly available in charity shops where of course they are not for resale :-)

And often more than the paper cost in the first place !

Early on music depends on who you're playing to. At a 30th on Saturday just gone, it was all modern mostly - played some of the slower charty stuff..

At 50ths I tend to pop some Motown/Northern Soul on earlier on - does depend on the crowd though and the age-ranges there :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

for most i have 2x 70minute tracks called freakout 1 and freakout 2

most the time i only use the one, but every now and then people get up and dance in the first hour so play some of the second one.

they are a mixture of 70s/80s popular disco music and a good bit.

for 18ths, 21st etc i have use a mixture of the past months chart/old classics and use them at a low volume and if requested will repeat them, further on in the evening i would play the most recent chart, also gotta' sneak in the old 90s classics.

Jack Wilson - Kent Discos

• 1 year later...