Dj's United

just joined the site , so thought i'd better say Hello ...

A bit about me/us

Grapevine Dance Club [or Sound System]

Not really Mobile Disco style , but a couple of guys who a few years ago got cheesed off with the lack of 'our type of music' being played locally IE Northern Soul /Ska/Reggae /Mod stuff .....

So by borrowing begging & ultimately Buying second hand gear we have been playingout in various Pubs/bars in Mid Sussex for the last 4 years ...

As things have grown now in need of info and advice on Gear , Lighting etc ....

Our approach is more 'club style' no chat - just tunes segued [sp] one into the next , and our nights tend to be more of a party with promotion mainly via Facebook [used to be by text] and the crowd consisting of friends , fellow music style fans and curious locals - with the odd 'unusual request' [macerana anyone?!] .

the current 'problem' we have is PAT testing - what, who, and how much ? , is it a problem with second hand gear [ in reasonable nick] ?

sorry if this gets asked with boring regularity !

:welcome: to the forum nice intro

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

the current 'problem' we have is PAT testing - what, who, and how much ? , is it a problem with second hand gear [ in reasonable nick] ?

hi ya an welcome (ive just started ere too ;) )

pat testing 2nd hand gear isnt a problem... rates vary depending on the type of kit and how much!

have a look through the yellow pages or ask the bars / clubs you play at as to who does their kit... my last test was done off the back of a music festival that i was playing it so worked out cheap... for a full mobile disco i'd expect to pay around £50 maybe...

that the lights, cd players, mixer, laptop psu and a bunch of backup kettle leads for the lights & active speakers....

some charge per lead or item others charge by the hour... and make sure you get the certificates as some venues ask for it, along with your public liability insurance!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

Hi Brian and welcome!

Part of the PAT test is a visual inspection, so before you pay someone to officially test it will be well worth checking all your cables and gear for problems.

So - no splits/nicks in the cables, no damage to gear enclosures etc... basically sensible stuff we should all do as part of regular maintenance.

Prices vary for the test itself. You'll probably be hitting a minimum fee for most rigs, so £50-£100 in this area.

As you mention you play mid-sussex, there may also be members here from that area who can advise.

Otherwise, google will be your friend.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=ch...ster+mid+sussex

There should be no problem with 2nd hand gear. I've found some NEW gear to fail earth bond test!

However, give it all a once over before you get someone to test.

I also use this as a opportunity to catalog all my gear (so a spreadsheet of item/serial number/approx value new etc) It could be useful for insurance purposes.

Hope this helps,

Jason

thanks for the tips , will get in touch with an old mate who's been in the 'trade' for more years than i think even he likes to admit !

Hope to be able to add as well as ask !

We are in a bit of a niche market , so any questions on 'our stuff' and may be able to help .....

The reason for asking about PAT testing , we have arranged a night in a local civic hall showing the Film SOULBOY - and having a 'do' afterwards , so for the first time we have been asked to supply the certificates ...

a BIG stepup for us !!

The reason for asking about PAT testing , we have arranged a night in a local civic hall showing the Film SOULBOY - and having a 'do' afterwards , so for the first time we have been asked to supply the certificates ..

A lot of council run venues and the larger hotel chains are now insisting on PAT before any contractor can work in their premises. Often its a matter of self preservation, and a requirements which is stipulated by their own insurers. After all, they don't want to be liable for paying out an injury claim from their own policy if a 3rd party subcontracted DJ electrocutes some guest with dodgy or incorrectly wired equipment or takes out their service fuse.

Pli (Public Liability Insurance) is also another requirement that you will also come across, for exactly the same reasons as i've mentioned above.

These things often pay for themselves over 12 months, as the amount of work you won't be able to do through not obtaining them, will probably be more than the cost of getting them.