Dj's United

What Amp To Buy

hi folks.

i have 2 peavey bass bins pv118. 8ohms max power 400 watt program.

also i have 2 warfdale svp 15,s continuous 200 watt program 400 and peak 800.

i currently have 3 amps which i use in bridge mod to drive these speakers bass bins i use a cam 1000 watt

tops i use a gemini 400 watt and a peavey 400 watt, not the best set up so i want to buy 1 amp to drive this lot and sell the other amps any suggestions would be great.

many thanks steve.

QSC RMX2450 will do the 4 boxes, with no crossover you may need to tweak the EQ to get the low/high balancing right because the PV118 only uses a low-pass passive crossover in the box, not a 2-way like the HiSys do.

At the very least you need an amp capable of 500W p.ch at 4R.

Best way forward is 2 amps and an electronic crossover, that way you can make the bass cabs just handle the bass and the tops can handle the mid-high so they and their amp get an easier life.

One amp for all 4 means if it fails mid-gig you will have egg on your face, at least 2 amps means a quick plug change and you're working again. This might not sound like a good idea but if it happens to you, it will suddenly appear a very good idea you wish you'd tried.

Edited by superstardeejay

QSC RMX2450 will do the 4 boxes, with no crossover you may need to tweak the EQ to get the low/high balancing right because the PV118 only uses a low-pass passive crossover in the box, not a 2-way like the HiSys do.

At the very least you need an amp capable of 500W p.ch at 4R.

Best way forward is 2 amps and an electronic crossover, that way you can make the bass cabs just handle the bass and the tops can handle the mid-high so they and their amp get an easier life.

One amp for all 4 means if it fails mid-gig you will have egg on your face, at least 2 amps means a quick plug change and you're working again. This might not sound like a good idea but if it happens to you, it will suddenly appear a very good idea you wish you'd tried.

i have a cam 1000 watt amp and have been offerd a behringer ep2500, would i be better buying another 1000 watt amp and use an equaliser to sort the high and low.

i have a cam 1000 watt amp and have been offerd a behringer ep2500, would i be better buying another 1000 watt amp and use an equaliser to sort the high and low.

As already mentioned, you would be better using a crossover rather than an EQ for setting high and low filtering.

It is certainly a better idea to run 2 amplifiers, even if you buy one new amplifier and use your Kam 1000w to power your top cabinets until you can budget a second quality amp.

I have a few amplifiers for sale if your interested, including a QSC RMX2450.

PM me if interested

As already mentioned, you would be better using a crossover rather than an EQ for setting high and low filtering.

It is certainly a better idea to run 2 amplifiers, even if you buy one new amplifier and use your Kam 1000w to power your top cabinets until you can budget a second quality amp.

PM me if interested

forgive me for being thick but i thought a crossover unit was in my pv118,s ,could you give me an example ie make and model, many thanks steve.

PM me if interested

i cant pm you as i have less than 15 posts

Some music shops sell a four-box-plus-amp package that uses a 2-way passive crossover in the bass cabs to split the frequencies so the top cabs just get the mid-high. This is a system specifically designed for driving by 1 amp for convenience and affordability.

You however dont have that, especially as your bass and top cabs are from different manufacturers that are not specifically designed to sound sweet together driven all from the same source (you may of course already be happy with them that way!).

The crossover in the bass cabs is a passive low pass. It filters out any high frequency.

The top cabs are full range.

So if you just run them all in parallel you'll have the bass going into the bass cabs and also into the tops. This may mean your music is a little over-bassy meaning you end up pulling back on the eq on your mixer to get it to sound right..which is not really an efficient way to run a 4-box setup.

An electronic crossover splits the sound at the output of the mixer into bass & mid-high to two seperate amps which means more of the bass goes to the bass bins (which are going to be the most efficient at reproducing the bass, they'll be on the floor) and the mid-high frequencies go to the top cabs so they're only reproducing that. (assuming they're on poles as they should be, bringing the tweeters level with peoples ears). That will allow you to proportion more power from the top amp into the top speakers before red-lining it, (since bass tends to demand the most power from an amp) giving you a better overall, efficient and more powerful system with less stress to the components.

Edited by superstardeejay

Superstardeejay explained it perfectly! :Thumbup:

A cheap and cheerful but fairly reliable crossovers are the behringer range : Click me

These can sometimes be had second hand on the ebay.

Oh, and you can contact me via email on: isfaudio(at)live.co.uk

+1 for the Behringer CX2310 here - only use it when I have the Sub in use - Annoying when having to re-plug things in when I change from sub to no-sub and vice-versa though...

As suggested above, I picked mine up off flea-bay for about 40 quid... :)

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

+1 for the Behringer CX2310 here - only use it when I have the Sub in use - Annoying when having to re-plug things in when I change from sub to no-sub and vice-versa though...

As suggested above, I picked mine up off flea-bay for about 40 quid... :)

Cheers,

David

thanks fellas.