Dj's United

Power Question.......

Hi guys,

I was hoping someone knowledgeable with power ratings could help me with something. Where possible, I always use two extension leads to power my equipment – one for sound equipment, and one for lighting equipment.

However, would I be able to run all of my equipment from a single extension lead, if this was the only available option. My usual set up consists of the following:

2 x Mackie SRM450 V2’s

Numark CD Mix 2

Laptop computer

2 x Acme Impossibled

2 x Acme Miracled

2 x ADJ Par 64 LED

Small desk lamp

Could anyone tell me of the above would be safe to run from one extension lead? I guess that apart from the speakers the load is fairly low, but would appreciate the comments or advice from someone who understands these things better than me!

Cheers, Mark

Celebration Sounds Mobile Disco

www.celebrationsounds.co.uk

mark@celebrationsounds.co.uk

07825 641 090

Should be fine as long as you use a lead that is rated properly!

If using a wind-up lead, make sure that you unwind it as much as possible. Also if using one of these, make sure that you use an appropriate length for the application - less loose wire to trip up over, etc (Health & Safety!) No point with a 25mtr wind-up lead if you can only need 4mtrs of it (wheras a 5mtr wind up one would suffice).

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Looks ok but to properly answer the question one would expect to see the current ratings or wattage of each bit of kit to be certain you dont exceed 13A...

The good thing about active speakers these days is that typically they require much less power than traditional amps... therefore a single 13A socket can be enough!

Be certain to do the math and make sure your extension lead can cope!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

Looks ok but to properly answer the question one would expect to see the current ratings or wattage of each bit of kit to be certain you dont exceed 13A...

The good thing about active speakers these days is that typically they require much less power than traditional amps... therefore a single 13A socket can be enough!

Be certain to do the math and make sure your extension lead can cope!

Mackies will be about 500watts ish at most. Eveyrthing else on the list is about 20-40watts, the laptop will be about 60-120watts depending on the PSU. There are no high-current lighting fixtures (250w ish) there either..

You'd only ever at most draw about 1250 watts or so (about 5 amps), but would be much less because the current draw depends on loudness of the speakers etc...

Cheers,,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the replies!

I will continue to use 2 extension leads where possible to provide resilience, but from the feedback where there is no other option I will use the following:

* Extension cable rated at least 10a with appropriate fuse.

* Long enough for the job, but not too long to avoid trip hazards etc.

* With extension lead fully unwound, to prevent overheating.

Thanks again,

Mark

07825 641 090

some good info here on how to work it all out! > http://www.dj-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=21394

For a quick guide add up all the wattage ratings of the kit you wish to plug in... then use this formula : -

A = W/V

A = current rating

W = total wattage of all equipment

V = voltage (in the uk we use 230v)

therefore

A = 1200w / 230v

A= 5.22

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

Hi Matt,

Thanks for that - good info! I will get the manuals out and work out the exact current rating. From the previous replies it looks like it should be ok, but it will be good practice for me to work it out for my own peace of mind.

Thanks again,

Mark

07825 641 090

• 1 month later...

Like most of the other posters here I see no problem. I plugged my whole system, sound and lighting, into a current meter when purchasing a generator. I was surprised how little current it was actually drawing. I would however add a power conditioner to the input, especially as you have a computer plugged in, they can be very susceptible to power fluctuation.

Derek Tarpey

Lake DJ

California

www.LakeDJ.Com

Like most of the other posters here I see no problem. I plugged my whole system, sound and lighting, into a current meter when purchasing a generator. I was surprised how little current it was actually drawing. I would however add a power conditioner to the input, especially as you have a computer plugged in, they can be very susceptible to power fluctuation.

Any site generator should be sized to provide the correct voltage/current and calculations made before you plu in... Plus always use an appropriate distribution board + earth rod... if i know im playing outside i'll always bring my own board and rod as you can never be too sure how regulated the genny is let alone if it has the earth rod rammed in to the ground!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk