Dj's United

Usb Mixer With Virtual Dj

I have a bit of a problem with my mixer. Basically I use Virtual DJ for Mac and have Numark DXM01 USB Mixer. When I started connecting the mixer to virtual dj I went to the config menu and selected external mixer in the output menu, for the sound-card option i selected 2-cards both to come through USB codec As I have two USB's connecting the computer to the mixer. USB 1 should then play through channel 1 and USB 2 should play through channel 2. But im getting both USBs going into only one channel, So the music from deck 1 and deck 2 goes through channel one on the mixer and not through 1 and 2 as it should be.

Hope this didn't confuse anyone :wall:

If anyone knows how to sort this problem I would me grateful.

PS I had this mixer set up with Virtual dj before on a PC and it worked fine but then I had the option of choosing the DXM01 mixer in the Output tab in config settings of Virtual dj, now that option does not appear, I can only choose from Mono separated, Two cards or 4 card out.

what you probably need to do is make one sound card out of the two you have... then mapping that in vdj?

open up your audio midi setup with both usb sound cards connected to your mac

(the quickest way to do this is click the magnifying glass top right hand of your desktop screen and type audio midi in the spotlight search) then click the app when it appears in the selection window below)

press the 'plus' button at the bottom left of the 'audio' window (that opens) to create an aggregated device

then tick the two sound cards in the right hand window that you want to use in vdj

close down the audio midi setup and reopen vdj...

select 'aggregated device' as your output device and select which deck should be the right or left one...

if this doesnt work for you... take some screen shots of your setup and get back to us.

What i have told you here is what i need to do for traktor when using two soundcards (one for each deck) using an external mixer... vdj may be able to select within the software each sound card, so this instruction could be a little misleading!

and remember on that mixer to select usb on the back as shown in this video >

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

what you probably need to do is make one sound card out of the two you have... then mapping that in vdj?

open up your audio midi setup with both usb sound cards connected to your mac

(the quickest way to do this is click the magnifying glass top right hand of your desktop screen and type audio midi in the spotlight search) then click the app when it appears in the selection window below)

press the 'plus' button at the bottom left of the 'audio' window (that opens) to create an aggregated device

then tick the two sound cards in the right hand window that you want to use in vdj

close down the audio midi setup and reopen vdj...

select 'aggregated device' as your output device and select which deck should be the right or left one...

if this doesnt work for you... take some screen shots of your setup and get back to us.

What i have told you here is what i need to do for traktor when using two soundcards (one for each deck) using an external mixer... vdj may be able to select within the software each sound card, so this instruction could be a little misleading!

and remember on that mixer to select usb on the back as shown in this video >

Thanks a lot matt ur a legend, I followed your instructions and its now working as it should Thumbs Up to you :Thumbup:

I tried everything like that. The mixer doesn't act as a Sound Card though does it ? I ended up having to buy another sound card and run the 2 sound cards through 2 different channels on the mixer. This works brilliantly for me and I have never had a problem with it. I got a £30 sound card, and you can even buy external USB sound cards from Maplins etc for £20 that will do the same if your using a laptop etc.

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk

I tried everything like that. The mixer doesn't act as a Sound Card though does it ? I ended up having to buy another sound card and run the 2 sound cards through 2 different channels on the mixer. This works brilliantly for me and I have never had a problem with it. I got a £30 sound card, and you can even buy external USB sound cards from Maplins etc for £20 that will do the same if your using a laptop etc.

The mixer Yoshi3 is using (Numark DXM01) has a built in sound card that has two usb sockets that connect to the mac/pc... and will map as an external sound card! So in his case yes it does act as a sound card!

I personally wouldnt purchase external sound cards that are not meant for dj use... as they generally will not offer enough punch to match the same line level given from a cdj or other powered cd player... can be a problem if you are mixing with other dj's in a club booth or something... not so much of an issue if you mobile dj on your own!

if you have the same mixer as yoshi3 in use with vdj take a look at the video... should have you up & running in no time!

Regards

Matt (mjmac)

www.zeroradio.co.uk

• 1 month later...

I just watched that video. The mixers I looked at had only 1 USB socket in it.

I am now going to look into getting a mixer or some interface like this.

I really like my Citronic 10:4 but if I can find something that'll work better then I maye go down the route of replacing the mixer.

Email :: info@nrgize-disco.co.uk