Dj's United

Afternoon All,

I'm striving to try and improve myself as much as I possibly can.

Ok so you may get the "thanks" shake hands, etc and a polite wave, and that's usually it - you don't really know much apart from that (except if you get a referral from someone at the gig!).

Now, I don't currently send out feedback forms post-event, and I'd like to be able to do this as soon as possible really - including an SAE of course, as I'd be more likely to get a response back.

What questions should I ask on the form, and does anyone have any examples I could look at?

Do you ask for any kind of testimonial or put a free text section at all? As testimonials are something I'd like to get a few of, so that I can quote them somewhere !

Look forward to your responses!

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

We tried this a few years ago and found that most of the replys were not about how well the function went, 90% of the returned forms were about the negatives.

Wedding were the worst offenders with brides/ grooms parents tending to say e.g you didn't play Auntie Ethels request for White Cliffs of Dover etc. But at the end of the day it will depend on who if anyone fills in the form.

We did a trial for 12 months and sent them out to all of our clients (over 100 sent out) we received 24 back. with 20 of them only high lighting the negatives and non playing of requests (even if there was a no requests to be made as per instructions from the B & G).

I too thought that they were going to be a good Idea but just ended up wasting time and money on stamps.

Just my two pennies worth.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

We tried this a few years ago and found that most of the replys were not about how well the function went, 90% of the returned forms were about the negatives.

Surely that is part of the reason why we would send them out?, to get constructive criticism to see where we can improve our service or have suggestions made, which we may not have thought of?. There is a big difference between what constitutes a usable, entirely positive 'testimonial' and asking a client for honest feedback :D

Did you also word the feedback form on the basis of looking for feedback only in relation to the business / professionalism aspect of the function, and in relation to how their function was handled rather than the music?.

You can also use multiple choice boxes and ask specific questions as to areas where you want feedback, rather than just sending out a blank bit of paper with the word 'feedback' at the top. In giving these pointers in a template to the client will largely ensure that you get the answers you are looking for.

Many hotels use this format, and you'll see multiple choice questions ranging from 'What was your experience of checking in' to 'Was your room clean' with tick boxes to rate. I'm sure that with a little thought we can apply our own questions and invite feedback on a similar basis. You can still retain a lined section for 'other suggestions' and even if you get the client filling this up with 'you didn't play....' complaints, you've still had the main questions answered on the multiple choice section, so half useful rather than not useful, and no stamps wasted.

I'm sure we can come up with some suggestions for what to include?, just a couple of examples which come to mind are

'Was the volume of the music' - not loud enough / just right / too loud

'Was the lighting we provided' - Not enough / Adequate / Ideal / Too Much

'Did the DJ use the Mic' - Too much / just right / not enough

'Could you hear all of the mic based announcements clearly' - Yes / No

'Was the Dj attired correctly for the type of function' - Yes / No

'Was your enquiry handled courteously and quickly?' - Yes / No. If no, please tell us how can we improve...................................................

'Did the service we provided represent good value for money?' - Yes / No

'Would you recommend us to your friends and family' - Yes / No

If you would like to suggest ways in which we can improve our service, please list below

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There must be plenty of others....lets have 'em.

Okay, we can discount the 'not happy because so and so's request wasn't played' as that is pretty trivial and routine in this line of work, but surely they do yield some useful feedback on occasion

Sometimes, its better to send out 'suggestion' forms rather than 'feedback' forms - 'suggestion' forms do seem to be the most popular title used by most Hotels and Leisure groups :D .

Usually I email the cleint after the function thanking then for their hospitality.

I then receive an email back thanking me and providing good reference to the function performed. Some of these are good enough to use as a testimonal

Surely that is part of the reason why we would send them out?, to get constructive criticism to see where we can improve our service or have suggestions made, which we may not have thought of?.feedback :D

I was referring to the next statement

Wedding were the worst offenders with brides/ grooms parents tending to say e.g you didn't play Auntie Ethels request for White Cliffs of Dover etc. But at the end of the day it will depend on who if anyone fills in the form.

The point that I was trying to get across was that we sent out over 100 questionnaires but only received about 20% back, out of those returned most of which were relating to the non playing of requests with only one of which was an active criticism that could be addressed.

I agree that suggestions would be a better way to go.

Professional DJ Since 1983 - Having worked in Clubs, Pubs, Mobile and Radio in the UK and Europe

29 Years Experience and still learning.

The point that I was trying to get across was that we sent out over 100 questionnaires but only received about 20% back

This can largely be attributed to client apathy. Give them a blank canvas and they don't know what to write. Inevitably their thoughts turn to what music / requests were played because they don't have a clue what else you are looking for.

The same applies to a lot of DJ's, ask them to write a detailed descriptive directory entry advertising their business and they are often lost and don't bother - I know from experience as i've tried to get them to do it :D . The same applies to contracts - a lot of Dj's don't know where to start creating one and probably explains why some won't bother. However give them a nice easy template to follow, and the problem often resolves and an interest is shown.

Clients are pretty much the same. If they think you are expecting an Essay or a detailed review then they are likely to not bother.

This is why its a good idea to have pre-written multiple choice style questions for them to tick and rate each accordingly. Of course what you include in those questions is entirely down to personal requirements and what you are hoping to gain in the form of feedback. The ones I gave are just an example.

If you also leave a section at the bottom for 'other comments' to be left, then okay you are still likely to get the occasional comment regarding requests not being played etc, however they will have also filled in the multiple choice section to get to that point so at least you have some useful feedback in that respect, even if you ignore what is in the comments field.

Good set of responses so far!

Norfolk: The rest of the client contact is that also done via email too (booking forms / contract / etc)? Interesting thanking them for their hospitality etc. what's the response rate to that email?

Cheers,

David

DJ David Graham

Tel: 01204 537716 / 01942 418415

Email: hello@djgraham.co.uk

FB: http://facebook.com/djdavidgraham

Web: [under construction - it really is coming soon :)]

Good set of responses so far!

Norfolk: The rest of the client contact is that also done via email too (booking forms / contract / etc)? Interesting thanking them for their hospitality etc. what's the response rate to that email?

Cheers,

David

David. It's about 50%. Prior to sending out the 'hospitality' email it was about 10%. It gives gives a nice selection of testimonials. Apart from my motive, clients like the 'good manners ' email and give them to query anything or rebook! I've just got one back from Saturday night.

Hi XX

A quick 'thank you' for your kind hospitality on Saturday night.

Good to see so many people making the effort to turn up on a very cold night.

Great to hear the old football songs again!

See you at your 60th!

Regards

Robin

Response:

Hi Rob

Really glad you had a good night,i felt the whole night went really well,everything about it went well,thank you for your entertainment,if i ever need a disco again or know of someone who wants one i will recomend you,

thanks again